Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Those are simply Seagate model generations. 7200 rpm, model series 11 etc. The numbers following "ST" are a more precise model number.

2. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The descriptions on the Sony Canada site about the 425M and it's gaming capabilities are quite hmm, odd. Marketing should try a little harder than that, clearly they think Canadians like to game but, really? "Sporting the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M graphics card with 1GB of video RAM, F Series laptops can handle hardcore gaming action with ease." handle, hardcore and ease being up for wide interpretation. I wonder if anyone would read that and think, oh my god I need that laptop above all others regardless of anything else that has me sold.

Edit: Just to add it confirms that it's an esata/USB 2.0 port and 2 USB 3.0 ports. Although we all knew that right? 2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port wouldn't make more sense at all would it o_O.

3. thelulz

thelulz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I posted about my F's keyboard not working a few days ago; turns out the keyboard was indeed at fault and had to be replaced. However, as I was looking for the replacement keyboard, I came across this. Needless to say I bought it and received it yesterday. Aside from the shattered screen, everything else is in perfect condition, including the motherboard and keyboard. I now have spare parts for my F :cool: :eek::p

...then again, I could repair that Vaio and then have 2 functioning F's :p

Thanks to all that helped me with this issue

4. patrik

patrik Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys the f series is for work,3D,photo,video editing is not for gaming i you want better GPU to play games go buy a gaming laptop.I installed Seagate Momentus XT and i think its worth the extra cash over a simple 7200 seagate drive i run Avid Media Composer 5 and i rendering more smooth now it makes me happy i cant imagine the speed with a pure SSD!!!Joe sadly i live in Athens for business purposes only but i am for a beautiful Ionian Island called Lefkada.

5. patrik

patrik Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys i have a question for you can we upgrade our laptops except ram i mean CPU,GPU,Blue Ray Player to Burner if our mobo chip (Intel P55) support it?

6. thelulz

thelulz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can not upgrade the GPU. You can however upgrade (or downgrade) the cpu. Essentially all the non low voltage i3,i5 and i7 mobile processors will run with the vaio mother board. All 3 processors run on socket PGA988. as for the bluray player drive, I believe as long it's a SATA optical drive that will fit in the space, you will be fine.

7. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^ Agree with patrik about the F-series being a work/multimedia machine rather than a gaming machine. The cpu is great for video/photo editing and 3d modelling, the gimped gpu is basically sony's way of telling consumers "hey, we have this great game maching called the playstation and would rather you bought that because we get $10 for every game we sell on it. kthxbai! - sony."

I just think it's fun to see what games the machine will actually run (it's fun for me to see how much performance can be squeezed out of something - to see how far hardware can be pushed). People looking for a gaming laptop should look at the g73jh and its monster 5870. Incidentally, I saw the g73 at a bestbuy in boston and I have to say that it was MUCH larger than I thought it would be. It looks very cool, but it's much bigger than the f-series.

-----

This mouse.... I love it!!I know it's being billed as a gaming mouse, but I'm using it mostly for graphic design at this point - I got fed up of my cheapo wireless mouse cramping my wrists and disconnecting all the time. It looks very cool. Really cool - I wish I had something other than my crappy phone camera to take some pictures.

And what a mouse this is. Glides like air over my cheap steelseries black mouse pad. There were some pretty bad reviews citing the poor z-tracking performance of the philips_twin-eye sensor they put in this mouse, but I'm not having any issues (even on my black mousepad, which supposedly was the culprit for the tracking problems). I skipped the driver cd completely btw - just downloaded the latest drivers from the madcatz/saitek website.

It's is bit on the heavy side - I removed all but 2 of the weights and I would say that it's pretty hefty compared to most mice I've used. The build quality is fantastic though - soft plastics and a steel chassis underneath.

The mouse is super comfy and I've customized it so that the thumb rest is moved a little further up (my hands are smaller than average and I like to have my fingers far up on the left/right mouse button). I also swapped out the normal pinky grip for a "pinky shelf" they've included, which provides a nice place to rest your pinky. The center scroll isn't one of those flywheel type scrollers that let you scroll over long documents, but the click that separates each time the sensor records a wheel motion is just right so that you can tell that it's registered (good for switching weapons in fps games), but also loose enough to provide little drag when scrolling down a lot (personally, I use the MMB to scroll over long documents). Most comfortable mouse I've ever used - without question.

For people who like to play fps's, there is also a sniper button on the side that lets you drop your dpi to a set percentage of the normal dpi while it is being held down - great for lowering the dpi when you're trying to get a headshot in (I like to use it in photoshop when I'm painting things pixel by pixel :D). There is also a rocker switch below the mouse wheel that lets you instantly adjust between 5200, 3200, 1600, and 800 dpi. I like to keep it at 3200 for normal use (5200 is WAYY to sensitive, but in Mass Effect 2 raising the dpi is a fun way to scan planets more quickly :D).

The only really bad thing about this mouse is the included software. It's not very intuitive and while it provides adequate functionality (on-the-fly toggle between 3 customizable button configurations, keymapping, mouse dpi/sensitivity adjustments) it's not the easiest to use. At $99 msrp I would've expected a cleaner UI for the mouse software.

----

Finally, some new game videos (I'm downloading the Civ 5 demo right now so that will be up soon):

HAWX -
    YouTube - Hawx Gameplay on Sony Vaio F11
    YouTube - Hawx Benchmark on Sony Vaio F11

Game is fully playable. During gameplay average of 40fps - rarely ever dips below 30 (only on 1 mission - Typhoon, but that's because it's raining like crazy and you're flying over Tokyo).

The benchmark averages 36fps without fraps (much smoother than when fraps is recording).

8. tietheknot

tietheknot Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems like the F1390 price on sonystyle is lower than usual. Anyone know specifically which Nvidia graphics card it comes with? They don't give you a choice (or clarification) on the site.

9. GrinningDoom

GrinningDoom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any problems with the high pitch noise for the new model VPCF13BFX/B??

thank you in advance
    cheers

10. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Since it's nobody received one yet, I'll ask my clairvoyant & get back to you soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.