Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Optional GT425M GPU, a pair of USB 3.0 ports replacing the two USB 2.0 ports on the right side.

The USB 2.0/Power over eSATA port remains the same, as do the processor options.

A larger, 750GB hard drive is also now an option.

Prices are nearly identical on Sony Style USA as they were for F11s way back in March and April.

There may also be untold hardware updates and there is most likely a new motherboard (due to the USB 3.0 ports).

2. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can someone who have opened up their F11 and replaced the thermal paste (if possible) post pictures?
    I would also like to drop my temps by a few more degrees, OEM pastes suck anyways

3. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting. On the UK F13 it says spec sheet, next to eSATA it has a big fat NO.

4. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been browsing the web on battery for the last hour with this f11 on my lap (nothing under it at all, I am wearing jeans !) and it only feels slightly warm, not even enough to make my lap uncomfortable or even sweaty... perhaps TMI !

In fact I can barely hear the noise of the fan, let alone the whine that I used to complain about. I attribute this to the clean install I did, courtesy of Joe's post.

5. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Plus we are hopping for a new screen similar to European and Japanese models in the USA with Adobe RGB support. I am crossing my fingers on that one because the 1080p screen on the current F11/F12 models is really, really and I mean really bad.

I am also hopping that the new GT425M will be able to cover the high-end needs of the F13 and be more in mid-range-to-high-end category of performance, than in mid-to-low category. The card is very new so we cannot tell yet but according to nVIDIA the GT4 series will perform 40% faster than the similar models in the GT3 line and they manage to get significant performance boost for DirectX 11. Finger crossed on this one too.

Last but not least the GT4 is a lot less power hungry. The completely new architecture of the GPU offers higher performance and only kick-in the GPU when its needed. That will both increase the battery life and produce less heat for the F13 :)

I also noticed that the Blu-Ray Burner is now at 6X Read/White speed instead of 4X the F12 model use to be.

6. Thalin

Thalin Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks. Are there any photographers in this thread who use this laptop mainly for editing and design work? I still can't decide between this and a MacBook Pro :/

7. tigereat

tigereat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Is the current Full HD screen of F Model that BAD?

8. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the US model, YES is REALLY BAD both its quality and brightness is lame. Go to a SonyStyle or any other retailer to check out the screen. When I first saw it I didn't want to believe my eyes of how bad the screen was for a close $2000 laptop. I also saw the European model and the screen is just GREAT as it should be!

I order an F13 hopping the new model will have the EU or the Japanese screen. If it comes with the current screen they put on the US F12 models is going straight back to Sony the very same day.

9. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    F13_Ports, GPU Upgrade?
    As mentioned above, the F13 has a eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port. See this side-by-side on Sony_Asia: F11_vs F12_vs_F13

You can't upgrade the GPU as it's welded to the motherboard & while it's not Class 1, it does the job for me (photo editing, etc.). Go to page #1, post #1 of this thread (or FAQ in my sig) and click on the Unification Post for a link to Mangosango who posted a ton of data and videos on Youtube on many games that he ran on his F.

[​IMG]

CPU Thermal Paste
    Well many F owners including me ran stress tests w/ the CPU & GPU running simultaneously @ 100% & the F is one of the coolest i7 laptop on the market currently so... one may deduct that the thermal paste does not "suck". :rolleyes: Why void the warranty for very little gain, if any? :confused: Again: go to Unification post for some mobo photos including of the cooling unit removed.

This post shows screen captures of those tests ran by several F owners in the previous thread: VAIO_F Series: A cool Cucumber. Nobody managed to go above 84c while the max operating temperatures of the CPU is 100c and 105c for the F's GPU.

SSD + HDD
    Other F owners did that and the main drive should go in the only drive bay available on the F. You can add an other drive using an ODD HDD bay caddy, see my sig below.

Rubber Palm Rest Glue
    What's wrong with rubber cement? Epoxy is radical in this case & next to impossible to remove besides not being flexible.

US 1080p LCD is Cr@p
    Well I presume that the 30 minutes or so that you spent in a store beats the opinion of F owners who have been using it for a few months. :rolleyes: The consensus among us is that the default settings do not render justice to the LCD. Before returning the F13 which you don't have at the present, check F owner's created monitor profiles roundup. 1- Disable auto brightness, 2- replace the overly blue default profile. Check the Poll link in my sig below for opinions of actual owners.

"...and brightness is lame" - Put finger on sensor located above F9 or disable auto brightness with key S1. Brightness is fine on my US F 1080p, I usually run it 2-3 clicks below the max setting.

BTW, it's not close to $2,000 in the US unless you add some upgrades. In the North American market, the consumer is driving the glossy finish & the low price point is a very important criteria. Go to any big box store in USA with laptops on display & try to find a non-glossy full Adobe RGB color space coverage screen for notebooks in the same price range as the F and with a similar sized LCD.

If you find one, please post the brand, model number, price & link if possible. :cool:

10. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry, random question, slightly related to F :p

Hard drive specifications are sometimes listed as 7200.4, 7200.11, 7200.12, what does the decimal place after the RPM number show?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.