Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Never seen this before- thank you.

2. xp17

xp17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a new problem. Adjusting the screen brightness does not work after a few hours of operation (I think, only after this). FN + F5 or Fn + F6 does not change anything. Stops at the first bar. The only thing that helps is a reboot of the system. But this is not a solution to the problem.

3. John_WA

John_WA Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you have your auto-brightness enabled? If so, I think those buttons won't work.

4. xp17

xp17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have auto-brightness enabled and in normal situation I can adjust auto level. It stop working suddenly after few hours.
    Even if I disable auto-brightness, keys still don't change anything.

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I installed the new NVIDIA 260.63 Beta (International, all languages, Win 7 64-bit) and ran the same tests as I did on all NVIDIA drivers installed on my F VPCF115FM, GT 330M, i7-720QM: Furmark & Cinebench 11.5 64-bit. It does not tell the whole story, especially about gaming performance but I thought it might be interesting for some. As usual, all other programs were closed & the anti virus was disabled for all tests.

First was Furmark Stability test for 10 minutes immediatly followed by Furmark Stability test (GPU running @ 99%) + Everest v5.50 CPU stability test (CPU @ 100%) simultaneously for 10 minutes. Note that Furmark was not set @ full screen so I could see the other windows but still was running the GPU @ 99%. BTW Everest is the only utility that I found so far that shows the actual fan speed.

The Vaio F passed with flying colors, the temperatures never reaching above 80C which is relatively cool when compared to other i7 laptops like the Envy_17 for example, with 90c+ or the Macbook_Pro 17 reaching temperatures above 100c! :eek:

[​IMG]

Some Nvidia drivers showed some gains compared to the OEM video driver in Furmark but not anymore compared to recent versions.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now what is troubling is that in Cinebench 11.5, there is a slow down in OpenGL & especially with the single core benchmark which was crawling and took more that 10 minutes to complete. For good measure, I re-ran the OpenGL test 3 times & the Single Core 2 times and the tests results were always identical. I will post this in Nvidia's Official NVIDIA 260.63 Beta Driver Feedback Thread & report if I get an explanation or tweak suggestion.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. meefer

meefer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anybody using a bluetooth mouse? I'm shying away from the Razer Orochi due to complaints in an earlier thread. I'd prefer one with side buttons, hence not the official Sony one. Been toying with the idea of a Apple Magic Mouse, especially painted to liven up my desktop a bit.

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  8. John_WA

John_WA Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I use a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 since I got my F12 a month ago and like it a lot. I am not familiar with the Razer Orochi so I can't speak to that but I am pleased with mine and haven't had any issues at all. I also like the fact that it doesn't occupy any ports.

9. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Will the Apple Magic Mouse be fully compatible?

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.