Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xp17

xp17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone ever had problems connecting the esata drive?
    I bought a Samsung Story Station Plus and found that this type does not support 64-bit win7.

2. cirrusbarbs

cirrusbarbs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you check the samsung website? Maybe they have drivers for it.

3. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you install a virtual disk like Power ISO, Magic Disc, etc? It's been known to cause recovery discs burning problems on the F but usually it will not even let you make disc #1. You tried the ODD diagnostic with a blank DVD, right?

Well from what you wrote it seems that you have a defective optical drive, a very rare occurrence in this thread. Contact your Sony_support for replacement (ASSIST).

Since it's new & if you back up all your personal data to an external drive, why not try one last time by recovering to factory state using the recovery partition? Turn off your F & press ASSIST (or boot & press F10). You could recover only drive C.

Good luck!

Edit: You posted this while I was typing but you should remain worried if it does not pass the Vaio_Care ODD tests & it's absolutely not normal that it took so many tries to burn the recovery discs.

Why not try them & do a recovery now to see if they are any good?

4. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did. Installed from 2x recovery dvds onto a new Vertex 2 SSD and it worked fine in the end. It just took many attempts to get that 2nd recovery dvd to not fail when it was being finalized but I think that may have to do with doing a restore to factory settings before burning the last recovery discs (the one time it actually worked). The blu ray drive appears to be working after the factory restore too. I'll try the diagnostics again in a minute.

If anyone is wondering what an SSD in a VAIO F is like then here are the benches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still tweaking away and putting all my stuff on it but I'll post up some pics and reviews in a minute. Also I need to rep a few people including you Joe. The funny thing is that you don't seem to display your sig anymore so I had to feverishly browse back a few pages to find one of your sig posts with matt800's colour profiles, the clean install guide and so on. That sig was pretty useful.

Edit: Doh. Just realised I can click your name and all that stuff comes up in your profile. <slaps forehead>

Edit 2: notebookcheck's review is very accurate. They are right about pretty much everything including the fan. It isn't loud but it does speed up and down *constantly* (the whining sound people refer to). I was using my shuttle xpc to type up the last bunch of posts whilst the laptop was burning through recovery discs and my shuttle is vastly louder (it drowned out the F12's fan noise completely) but I don't find it annoying because its constant. When I switched off my Shuttle I could hear the F12 fan and it was quite annoying because it keeps speeding up and slows down and you notice it. A similar analogy would be traffic noise which is very loud but you can zone out and ignore it as long as there are no sudden and intermittent changes in sound and volume. I guess what I'm saying is that a fan profile that has constant high rpm is preferable to me than one thats lower rpm but highly variable.

5. John_WA

John_WA Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Perhaps that's why those who use a notebook cooler (I use one) seem to find the fan noise less objectionable. My NZXT just produces a soft whooshing air movement noise and I don't notice the laptop fan at all as long as I have it on the cooler. However I don't seem to have or hear a whining noise that some have posted about even when it's off the cooler.

6. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The other thing is this. I live out in the country where its stone dead quiet so you notice very small sounds and they can become hugely annoying if you start to pick up some kind of pattern to them. Like a dripping tap. If you can't zone out of it then it becomes a constant distraction that is always demanding your attention.

I commute into Dublin city centre and work in an office next to a server room with fan noise blasting at me all day and rush hour traffic outside. You won't notice the F12 fan noise in an environment like that because it will be completely drowned out by the constant racket outside and your ears will adjust to the constant racket outside quickly easily mostly because its constant and there is no noticeable or objectional pattern to it. Its also terrible for your hearing but I guess you get my point. :(

Its a very subjective thing and very different depending on your environment. I don't play acoustic guitar at home late at night for example because its so quiet out here that even lightly picking the strings makes a sound that is noticeable through walls. I played a wedding reception last year by contrast where the crowd noise was so loud I could barely hear myself playing when I was thrashing it. I needed an amp just to hear what I was playing and the guitar couldn't carry more than 2 or 3 feet before it was inaudible. Most people won't be living in an environment as noisy as that but you would be surprised at how loud traffic is if you live near a busy road. I imagine city dwellers will find the noise altogether more tolerable if theres alot of traffic going through.

Completely unrelated: the rubberised palm rest is awesome. I've taken to my turning my chair sideways and leaning my arm on it like I'm on a couch. And it kind of does feel a bit like you have a leather coach when you dont. One with only a single arm rest. Its weird.

7. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:

Congratulations on getting things working finally! I was about to post that your numbers seem a bit slow, but then tried my own SSD again and they were similar to yours, only my seq read was much higher (254 MB/s), but your write speeds are much better. I remembered that my 4k and acc time numbers were MUCH better after some registry tweaks I had played around with that I decided I didn't like because a few of them reaked havoc on the turboboost feature and my cores were going haywire while trying to watch a blu ray rip file (.m2ts). So, I did a system restore and was done with that.

There are a few tweaks you can make to your system to help prevent wear on your SSD. After trying them all out, I definitely have opinions as to which ones I stayed with and which ones to not do. I'd be happy to share that with you in private message if you'd like (so as to not clutter this thread too much). You can also poke around here:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...thread-benchmarks-brands-news-advice-682.html

8. John_WA

John_WA Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Funny.....I live out in the country too where it's super quiet. But I like playing my guitar! Fortunately my wife likes it too so she doesn't make me stop! :)

I do get your point!

9. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So you say that you did nothing to your F, the disc #2 failed 10 times but then you restored to factory state & it then worked perfectly?

Are you sure you did not install any cr@p that the restore fixed? ;)

Your fan probably goes up & down because of background processes kicking in/out. Download the free Process Explorer to see them in action. My fan is virtually constant but then I have a clean/lean system and the F is propped up on sticks to help natural convection cooling. You can see in this graph that peaks in fan speed corresponds to peaks in CPU activity. You said that you would prefer a fan running at higher speed all the time but then that would consume more battery.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback on my sig. :cool:

10. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think its a system repair disc that needs to be created in order to boot from, to restore the whole computer from a full system image backup, as distinct from the recovery discs. (If that makes any sense :D )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.