Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    I did no such thing. You went there of your own accord and desire to be contrary. ;)

And... if you recall, my initial praise for IE9 was its maximized viewing space for which you boasted that FF4's was so much better, which I disproved in my screenshots. You then moved on to tabs, icons, and addons; not to mention, the implication that I didn't know how to use FF, which is a browser that I don't use.

2. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Something stupid I've done here, you know VAIO always comes with those recovery partitions? I accidently cleared the recovery partition, and now it's ""unallocated". I do have the VAIO recovery disks though, so how can I reinstall the recovery partition

F11 here

3. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How did you do that? That partition is protected & hidden & you can't delete it with Disk Management. :confused:

If you created recently a full system image with Windows Backup or some other utilities then you could use that to restore the drive including it's partition.

Or, I think you can create a backup of C, then use the discs to restore to factory state then use the C image to restore it to C only.

Could you give more details before attempting anything?

4. anseio

Reputations:
    Yeah, what Joe said. Make a system image of C:\. Do a full system restore using recovery discs, then try to reimage C: from the backup image.

Regardless of what happens, be sure to backup your files (not an image) just in case that any ideas we have to help don't work and you have to start over from the beginning.

5. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Yes you did by saying that I9 had some pluses because I am a FF fanboy. ;) I would have not tried FF 4 Beta if it would not be for your I9 Beta comments hence the thanks.

"my initial praise for IE9 was its maximized viewing space for which you boasted that FF4's..." - FF 4 does maximize viewing space as shown in the screen caps. The tiny head room gain of I9 putting the address bar on the same line as the tabs comes at a huge usability cost for said tabs.
    From FF 4 Under the Hood:

6. anseio

Reputations:
    That, like everything else, is relative to your experience and preferences. It does not come at a usabtility cost to me. I don't need, nor have ever needed, supreme tab usability. I prefer the gains in viewing space to the gains in tab function. That has been my preference for the past 12 years. So, in that respect... FF4 may not be the best browser for me. It may be for you. That's cool.

At least you're not an apple/mac fanboy. They're intolerable. ;)

7. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm using this web browser. I find that it maximizes my productivity and is super fast ;)

[​IMG]

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    My understanding is disabledeletenotify only tells you whether trim is enabled or not, not if it's actually working. trim is enabled by default in windows 7, regardless of what kind of drives you have in your system. It does show 0. Line 169 of the Intel SSD Toolbox 'Data Set Manager Support' is showing 0. This equates to no TRIM. Any other input to this matter Will?

Yes, a rush to judgment. The bottom line is there are many exciting things going on with browsers at this time. Learn, tweak, get the feel for things, and don't forget to share what you find.

9. anseio

Reputations:
    Yes, Win7 is supposed to be able to differentiate between SSD's and HDD's and change settings accordingly. ie: defragging. Oddly, my first Intel X25-M was not recognized as an SSD and showed up in the defrag schedule. My replacement X25-M is recognized correctly and does not appear in the schedule.

DisableDeleteNotify, to my understanding, is just to confirm that Win7 has its TRIM function enabled. It does not mean that the SSD will actually carry out the function when the TRIM command is sent from Windows. TRIM has to be enabled on the SSD, via firmware and therein lies your problem - Toshiba isn't updating the firmware. Ba$tards. Are you able to use optimization in the Intel SSD Tool?

It's been a fun browser, though the graphics can be a touch glitchy and some things cannot be clicked on. For example, I cannot click on certain articles on the Huffingtonpost. Those that can be scrolled across the top of the page. That it uses the GPU is quite an improvement. Some of the drive test features can utilize my GPU to the max. There's also a physics engine that's pretty sweet. And... the pinning of sites to the taskbar isn't just that. Certain sites pin with inherent attributes. Facebook can be pinned. You can right click over it and get links to your messages, news, friends... The browser is being designed to be more interactive with the hardware and software of the system, not just the user. It will be fun to see how it plays out over the long haul. The ability to use it with Aero Snap seems quite fun. Rather than having to open 2 pages in 2 windows and drag to snap... each tab can be dragged out of the window and snapped, then dragged back in when done. Nice for some side by side comparisons.

Now I just wish I could provide feedback, but I don't want to install the Windows Live login in order to do it. That's the kind of forced behavior that I frown upon. I HATE Windows Live. HAHAHA I've even finally made the switch away from Google.com until they change their stance on net neutrality. Will see how Bing is, unless any of you have some good search engine recommendations.

I digress.

I love my VAIO.

Oh, figured out how to delete individual system restore points, in case there's a favorite that you don't want to have automatically removed. Hmmmm.... that gives me ideas about how to permanently keep some restore points by moving them out of the folder and then moving them back in when needed. Oh, I could have system restore turned off for that matter then. Ah, too much work when it doesn't even impact SSD performance.

I digress.

I love my VAIO.

10. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Hey anseio, FF 4 also has the combined address/search box by default: type a word & hit enter. You can change your default search engine by selecting the one you want in the Awesome Bar.

There is also this tiny addon Omnibar (first version came out in 2008) which lets you search simultaneously the multiple search engines you can customize in the Awesome Bar, all combined in the address bar.

[​IMG]

Other cool addons: Tab Scope which adds instant thumbnail popups w/ navigation (including Refresh) to the tabs + you can customize the size of the two size thumbnails (via Firefox > Add-ons > Tab Scope > Options) which you can swap instantly by clicking the magnifying glass. :cool:

[​IMG]

google translate shortcut.

[​IMG]

Do you want a T-shirt? :)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.