Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is time for a new F series thread.

This popular budget priced performance laptop has been discussed at a very high volume since January 2010. Due to this high volume, three previous threads have been closed out prior to this one. They can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/448894-official-sony-vaio-f-series-owners-lounge.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/464372-official-sony-vaio-f-series-owners-lounge-part-2-a.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/487213-official-sony-vaio-f-series-i5-i7-owners-thread-part-3-a.html

As the Sony Vaio F series has been so popular, several quick guides have been assembled by some very good-hearted members here. You can find a general F11 unification post here:

F11 Unification Post: Issues, Fixes, Tweaks, Reviews

2. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ***reserved For Melody Master's Use***

3. mido201005

mido201005 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am about to order my CTO Sony Vaio F12 Laptop and i need some help please

The laptop will be with the following specifications :

Intel® Core™ i7-840QM processor (1.86GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.20GHz
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    500GB Hard Disk Drive (7200rpm
    8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
    CD/DVD player/burner
    16.4" VAIO Full HD Premium Display (1920x1080)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)
    Microsoft® Office 2010 Starter
    Norton Internet Security™ 2010 (30 Day Trial)
    LED Backlit Keyboard

And my questions are :

1- What are the main differences between F11 and F12 ?
    2-I have the oppurtunity to order the laptop from Canada or Saudi Arabia , from where do you advise me to order it ?
    3- What are the troubles that still remain from F11 in F12 and what are the fixed ones in F12 ?
    4- If I want to buy the laptop online through sony style , can i order it from the united kingdom sony style site then the factory ship it to me here in Egypt ?
    There is no official dealer here in Egypt :'(

And thank you very much for your support .

4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    - For warranty repairs, it's better to send it where you bought it but there is also an international warranty included if you register. This said there could be more parts B/O if serviced abroad or some problems like Australia users who bought their F in USA to save some $ but Sony_Australia won't service them, telling them to send to USA as mentioned in previous threads. Same for a Brazilian user. Since there is no Sony_Center in Egypt according to you (check to make sure), maybe it would be different in your case.

- The Premium matte 1080p display found in EU, Asia, etc is much superior to the North American 1080p glossy. See post above yours & follow links.

- Get the newer_F12 unless you can find a significant discount on an_F11.

4- That's a question for Sony_Style, good luck figuring the bottom line price w/ all the different specs/exchange rates you must figure out. :)

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  6. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alrighty did a little looking for you and found some things :) firstly as far as dealers go there is a list here that states there are 3 Sony authorised resellers in Egypt Sony stores in the middle east. So if you're willing to get the model with specs as shown here Sony Vaio F12 which is available for the middle east and has the EU premium 100% RGB screen. If this acceptable I'd definately take one from a reseller in Egypt as your support will be through them and a whole lot easier, also from what I noticed the differences would be 640GB 5400rpm HDD which you could change yourself to a 7200rpm drive or an SSD if you wanted a higher speed and no backlit keyboard. Hope this helps I think it'd be the best way to go, just call up the stores and see what they can tell you.

Edit: I agree with Joe get the F12 unless you can get a great deal on the F11, a great deal is of course relative to you :)

7. lundstrom.emil

lundstrom.emil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Long time no seen. :)
    I have a problem, when plugged into the stereosystem through the headphone jacket (not optical) I get a morsecod/system noise but only when the poweradapter is also plugged in.

Summery: Weird noise when power adapter is plugged in through the stereosystem.

I have tested the latest drivers from Sony (6.0.1.6045) and Realtek (6.0.1.6167).

Any idea?

EDIT 1:Made some sound tests with and without AC power adapter.
    http://cid-d4103db7a17aceb1.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public/Sony/Vaio/Noise test?uc=2

EDIT 2 : I am glad, the noise is gone with another power adapter (Kensington Universal Adapter 70W), it is silent. I will be at my friend tomorrow so I will test it on his system. Same result with other power outlets in my home. :D

EDIT 3: The noise increases when the Screen is dimmend. I have the latest graphic drivers.

EDIT 4: Was at Sony Centrum and the issue could not be reproduced.

2 of 3 stereos is showing noise from the Vaio, no one of them is on grounded plug, but the vaio is on a grounded plug.

0 of 2 intendant Speakers is showing noise, not grounded.

With sticky tape the issue is solved: Tape over the grounded parts of the plug and it is good. :p :D

[​IMG]

@anseio: I found the Login background and thanks for the tip. :)

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com...Cj5-k_QaMuHbb2OpQpiPIgw/backgroundDefault.jpg

8. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If the F12 is as suggested by Melody here Page 380 Thread 3 and just a fixit then having a refresh so soon would make sense as for sony it's the first actual refresh. Considering the F12 is so, so similar to the F11 bar a few things this does make a lot of sense. So then having the F13 released relatively soon should make a lot of sense.

On the other hand the refresh could just happen within a normal cycle somewhere around Christmas time. Again it's all speculation and until Sony does something there isn't much we'd know and the Canada page could mean anything. There isn't much point talking about the refresh or the laptop until more is known unless Melody or someone else knew more, otherwise it's just taking up posts in the thread and causing another thread closure... Being said I'm guilty of doing this right now :)

9. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Searching the site linked to by DeWinte, found this page that says that there are 8 Vaio_Accredited Service Center in Egypt. But will they service under warranty if bought outside the country as I mentioned above?

I know that Nikon USA will not service my lens if bought on the gray market for example. Same for Canon USA who will not even accept my US bought & now broken HD video-camera if shipped from Costa Rica. I need to ship it to a US friend that relays it to them & vice versa. Quite annoying. :mad:

10. kcirtaP

kcirtaP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm also using MS SE. In addition to that I also have PC Tools Threat Fire on
    guard looking for spyware. It's also free and has a very good reputation from
    the leading German PC magazin c't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.