Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Clean install completed. VERY long post w/ images and benchmarks to follow.

2. lundstrom.emil

lundstrom.emil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    YAY :spinny: :smile: :GEEK: :rolleyes2: :biggrin: :tongue: :twitchy:

3. anseio

Reputations:
    Last night I tried Joe Bleau's Clean Install Using recover discs. Here is my experience with it.

This information is meant to be supplemental to his process, so I am posting more about how it differed for me, rather than duplicating the work he's already done. I decided to do this now, because I didn't like some of the left over items from Google Chrome that were sneaking around. I also didn't like that I had ThirdPartyAppMgr.exe running at around 30MB RAM supposedly in relation to Smart Wii.

My VAIO Specs are listed in my sig. Running Windows 7 Home Premium. I also did not do a complete recovery. I only recovered my C:\ partition, which is 80GB

There's a lot of information to share, so I think 4 sections is best. Clean install Specifics and VAIO software thoughts, HD Tune Benchmarking Issues, NVIDIA Driver Tests, and Final Results (tasks and boot time).

Clean Install: the process itself

I followed the Clean Install process as described and interrupted it during the "Install Reboot Driver" phase. Upon restarting, I was given the error about Windows having not been properly installed and was thrown into a loop of rebooting and error message. I then thought "what could possibly happen if I let the process go a step further?". The worst is that I'll have to start over again or have 1 or 2 unwanted bloatwares to remove. What actually happened was that the next reboot was successful and there was a display to allow more programs (bloatware) to be installed. I clicked "Cancel" and that was the end of it. Super easy.

This process doesn't really need to be done from recovery discs, it can also be done via Vaio Care and using the existing recovery partition, as that was how my very first system recover (in June) went.

Update:
    The process is even easier if you choose to Restore Complete System. You'll be given the option to add the Sony Value Programs to the Recovery Partition. Assuming you've made recovery disks, you can decline. When the installation is complete and the recovery center begins to install bloatware, you'll be able to easily cancel out of both windows. The Windows setup will complete. You'll then need to immediately install the Realtek drivers and ALPS Drivers.

Here are the Installed Programs, Task Manager, and Boot time:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Getting VAIO programs up and running:
    I had a hard time installing VAIO Care. Accidentally downloaded one for an F12. It ran, but wouldn't assign to my "ASSIST" key. I unstalled it and found the original for my model number. Though the F12 version (VAIO Care 6) has more features/functions, VAIO Care 5 actually works with my buttons. So... VAIO Care is model specific for best functionlity.

After getting past that, I installed:
    *VAIO Event Serivce (Fn keys)
    *VAIO Control Center
    *VAIO Help and Support
    *VAIO Power Management
    *VAIO Update
    *Setting Utility Series (necessary to make S1 key work and to populate VAIO Control Center with any settings to use)
    *Corel WinDVD for Blu Ray

I then ran Windows and VAIO Updates until all updates were current.

My thoughts on a few programs in JB's list:
    *ROXIO seems useless other than to use backend RAM. I can burn discs fine even before I installed DVDFab7
    *VAIO Messenger Service isn't necessary. I had it disabled for quite a while before the clean install. I chose to not install it at all this time.
    *PMB and associated Metadata programs. It's a memory hog for sure. I kinda liked PMB, and had all of its processes disabled until I chose to run the program. I'm leaving it off of this install for now, until I decide it's time to organize photos.

IN SUMMARY - this was really quite an easy clean install compared to the people searching for drivers and having to install things in a certain order. Instead have spending hours on that, I got to spend hours running test, defragging, and taking screen shots.

THIS IS A FANTASTIC CLEAN INSTALL PROCESS, and I think it's actually easier to execute when waiting for the aforemention reboot to happen and cancelling the installation on the next step to appear.

HD Tune: Benchmarking Issues
    The very first thing I did after the Clean Install, but before adding any other programs, was to run HD Tune. It seems that there's something choking at the top end.
    [​IMG]

So, I defragged using VOPT, both by C: and D: partitions, using the option to fill the gaps. Next was to erase the free memory space and smooth it out. During this process, VOPT will stop all unnecessary programs from running, which allows for a good atmosphere for HD Tune to run. It's still choked at the top.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was to try Safe Mode. The curve looks good and the results are appropriate.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Back to Windows in Normal Mode, and things choke again.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what's causing this. It's not VAIO software, BIOS, or any programs installed after installation. There's a process, or something, happening in between those used in Safe Mode and those in Normal mode that is hampering HDD functionality. Any ideas?

NVIDIA Driver Tests:
    I did CPU Sress Testing using Everest, and at the same time ran FurMark Stability Test at 1200x900 custom. Also, here is my Passmark rating. All using NVIDIA Driver 188.67
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same tests run, after uninstalling NVIDIA 188.67 and installing NVIDIA Driver 258.96:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *Note: I got bored with the stress test and stopped them short of 20 minutes, because my VAIO just wasn't heating up. It was taking the load in perfect stride.
    ** My score would be higher. Before the clean install, I could use blu ray discs for the CD Read Benchmark. I cannot now. :(

Final Results:
    Task Manager Processes, % RAM used (after most of my programs have been installed) and WinBootInfo time.
    At the moment that I write this, I have 3 IE browsers open, Nokia One Touch access (it's how I get my internet), 2 notepads, calculator, 3 gadgets, VAIO Care, Add/Remove Programs Window, and my Explorer window. All of this has me at 35% mem usage, or 1.4GB. This is less than the 1.46GB my VAIO idled at when I first got it and hadn't even starting using programs!!!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. lundstrom.emil

Reputations:
    My theory is a bug in bios in combination of a service in windows. :p

What is the current bios for the Vaio F12 today?

Mine is from 28 of April 2010, bios version R1100Y6. However, Everest says " System BIOS datum 09/23/09" and "Video BIOS datum 11/09/09".

5. lazaross

lazaross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So it's defraggler good, or not?

My laptop now is like in clean install. I've removed all the junky items and i have only 45 processes running. Also the best boot time was 35 seconds!

I dont know how to remove the vaio smart network icon ( and process? ) from the taskbar. Do you know?

6. anseio

Reputations:
    Mine is:
    BIOS Type AMI
    BIOS Version R0280Y6
    System BIOS Date 09/23/09
    Video BIOS Date 10/20/09

7. lundstrom.emil

Reputations:
    Isn't that bios for F11, I can not find it on Vaio support for the Swedish model? :(

EDIT: Will install XP and run HD tune so if the issue exists there too.

8. anseio

Reputations:
    Yeah, I'm on the F11

9. anseio

Reputations:
    It doesn't look bad, if that's what you want to know. I was going back and forth between trials of PerfectDisk 11 and VOPT. Of the two, I prefer VOPT, but will probably settle on freeware when my trial is over. I do like having a boot time defrag option though.

The Tune Up option in VAIO Care is very useful too.

10. lundstrom.emil

Reputations:
    Why do you have the issue of slow HDD, thought that only the F12 had it? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.