Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ASSIST > VAIO_Care > Recovery > Create Recovery Media.

Or even better: ASSIST > VAIO_Care > One Click Care and it will tell you everything you should do on your F with links + important optimization stuff like registry & hard drive defrag, etc, etc.

[​IMG]

2. jjthenovice

jjthenovice Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Sorry it took so long to reply.. You are right that WEI is not a good benchmark. I didn't have time to do the before and after. Been quite busy with vacations and the such. I just like to stay current on drivers and you and the rest have helped in that respect. As long as I get no BSOD's, I'm happy.
    Regards
    JJ

3. lazaross

lazaross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Why F11 has Dolby Home Theater v3? Isn't it stereo only?

4. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Thank you for the effort, it should be useful to F users speaking German. I added links to your posts in the Vaio_F Series Windows 7 64-bit Clean Install Guide Using OEM Recovery Discs.

I see that you are from Bavaria. I had the chance to live for a while with friends near Bodensee & in München and gave a try at learning the language but short & ear pleasing words like Systemwiederherstellungsassistente made me trow the towel. :) Besides all my friends spoke either English, French or Italian so I switch to studying Czech instead as it was my next destination and it turned out to be useful when visiting small villages & remote areas. That was in '89.

I'll always remember that farmer in the Bavarian countryside wearing the traditional leather shorts. I was trying to ask him some stuff in my very elemental German then asked him if he spoke some other language so we could try to better communicate and he replied: no, I speak only German and Bayerisch. :)

Now maybe somebody with a F12_w/ an English OS could contribute? Or PM me for my mailing address & send me some F12_recovery discs? :cool:

5. BanditWS6

BanditWS6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In addition to my earlier question about the F12's support of multiple simultaneous external displays, does anyone know which make and model drive Sony is currently installing in the F12 if you order the 256GB SSD? I believe they were putting the Toshiba HG2 in the F11. Are they still using that one?

6. lundstrom.emil

lundstrom.emil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does someone if the F12 has a SATA 2 controller. I will buy a ssd to it but do not want to spend money one something that isn't fully usable.

7. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Yes it does.

[​IMG]

BTW I downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from the VPCF126FM esupport page (Intel 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller Driver) & installed on my_F11 after uninstalling the older Intel Matrix and it works fine with 4 HDD's connected simultaneously to my F. :) It loads faster on my F than the generic Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver found on the Intel site because it does not try to find RAID stuff that the F_Series does not support anyway. I tried both.

8. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On a two-lamp cold cathode display both lamps are on the bottom. It's normal on a GOOD TN panel for the top and bottom edges to be a bit brighter, what's called "Bleed," That is a function of the lamp diffuser interreacting with the LCD matrix. That it's "Brilliant" doesn't mean it's a two lamp display either, it is probably still a one-lamp. A two-lamp CCFL is no brighter than a one-lamp, but the brighter light source allows for a wider viewing angle; a display with a wider angle passes less total light through the LCD matrix.

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, for 44.1 Khz samplng there should be NO signal at all at half that, 22.1 Khz, otherwise, if any passband still exists at 22.1 then an input against 22.1 causes inversion. For instance a 20 Khz tone going in would also produce a strong 2100 Hz note, whats called a heterodyne. There is no such thing as a "brick wall" filter either, even in the digital domain, that would cause a massive phase shift approaching the rollof, blurring transients. Best is a 12DB rollof between 18 Khz to 20.5 Khz, that's typical on a good CD player. The curve can be made steeper by oversampling and resampliing, to gain maybe an unoticeable 500 Hz to 700 Hz increase at the high end. If the trailoff only STARTS at 19 Khz then that is incredibly good performance for a piece of consumer audio hardware. That is not an issue at all.

Otherwise your analysis is spot-on. :)

10. To no End

To no End Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Finally received my spare US backlit keyboard from ebay.
    The finish is exact to the US black version and the dimensions identical.
    Nice deal for for $27 plus $10 for shipping from Hong Kong.
    Haven't tested it yet though

baarcodes and serial numbers at the back

Darfon P/N: 9Z.N3S82.201
    --550102H03-035-G
    --D9460006187 Ver: US
    Sony P/N: 148781111

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.