Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omaroo

omaroo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, guys is there some kind of update from sony regarding the speed going up and down when plugged in.

2. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess I really don't know about throttling on battery, as I barely ever use the battery. I do know that I have the minimum processor state (on Windows 7 performance tab) set to 100%. This should stop throttling...but it also drastically reduces battery life, down to 45 minutes to an hour tops.

As I said earlier, i7Turbo allows me to turn of C1E and IEST. This should allow for full power state at all times as these programs are meant to manage power usage.

Edit: This expalins C1E state: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/611

Here is a Wikipedia explanation of EIST: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Great stuff philm94- thank you for your efforts. So, if we have the desire to rip vinyl, we need a good external sound card/express card which has it's own line-in. It should also have full 96khz/24bit recording capabilities. I'm going to start to look for one and will post my findings. Has anyone already accomplished this task with their F? Any other input on this topic would be appreciated. I really want to use my F for this.

4. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks m8. Just making sure this is deliberately implemented by Sony, and is not a problem, can you get CPU-Z and pull off your AC adapter and go in battery mode and check how many MHZ your CPU is on CPU-Z

Thanks.. its just its really retarded since blu-ray movie is not playable on battery mode due to the CPU down clocking and being too weak. So ironic that a laptop with a blu-ray drive cannot play blu-ray movies in battery mode without lagging

I hope they fix this in a future bios update.. or even allow us to mess with the clock multipliers for OCing :D :D :D

5. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. I checked my clock speeds on battery, and even at 100% power state, it is throttled down to 1.2Ghz when the power brick is unplugged and battery power is being used.

2. I doubt that they want you to watch 2 hour BluRay movies on battery power. I would think that the battery on the F11/F12 would drain before an entire movie could be watched. If you want this feature, you probably want to purchase a lesser processor AND a bigger battery.

3. TurboBoost IS basically overclocking, with Intel setting the maximum safe parameters for you. Instead of having 4 cores running at a maximum of 1.6 or 1.73GHz, intel is allowing greater speeds when fewer cores are needed. This is done in such a way as to prevent damage to the processor. While overclocking is still possible, why would you want to risk damaging such a nice machine, especially when it is not an easily repaired desktop?

6. Glashub

Glashub Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I sent an F-11 in for a new motherboard and requested a new screen becuase of inversion and a stuck red pixel. I was hesitant to send it in an really didn't think they'd replace the screen. I got the laptop with no visible damage at all. The motherboard was replaced and so was the screen which is better than the one I had but guess what? It has a red stuck pixel right in the center of the screen. Well, at least I tried. :) I'll now have to learn to live with the pixel as massing he screen, and using js pixel fixer didn't work. It seems that when a pixel gets stuck on a Sony (Sharp) screen...it really gets stuck.

7. kcirtaP

kcirtaP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, I'm using a German system with all the dialogs in my language. So it might not be of such a great help for the majority here.

But anyway I've made some screenshots.

Main page of the "VAIO Care Rescue":
    Vaio_0.jpg
    To have more control I used the second entry called "Extras":
    Vaio_1.jpg
    In this panel I selected the first entry called "Erweiterten
    Systemwiederherstellungsassistenten starten"
    Vaio_4.jpg
    Next you can save your data
    Vaio_5.jpg
    In this panel you can change the partitions of the drive.

Sorry about the screenshots, I Haven't found out yet, how to properly
    paste them into the post. And also not how to get rid of the attachments...

No, sorry, I can't really remember how many task where started. I think around 51-53. Also I didn't look at the OS size.

Servus,
    kcirtaP

Attached Files:

8. philm94

philm94 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Go for something like the Creative Xi-Fi ExpressCard - there are USB solutions .. but USB space is precious on the F ;)

I think it's 24bit/48khz ... but honestly, that's enough. It's still (done right) better than CD quality.

9. who_cares

who_cares Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi kcirtaP,

did you could choose the software components like the tutorial said? When i run this recovery, i only got the full system restored, with all crapware and 'manipulated' system settings.

Best regards

--- Lars ---

PS: I'm german too, if you like to PM me, you can do that in german.

10. BanditWS6

BanditWS6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking about ordering a CTO F12 for use as a desktop replacement for my work, and have a couple of critical questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to. Can anyone here shed some light on the following?

1. Is it possible to connect two external monitors to the F12 -- one to the VGA port, and another to the HDMI port -- each displaying its own extended area of the desktop (not a mirrored configuration)? Does the F12's built-in screen continue to work in this case?

2. Is there a port replicator or docking station available that is compatible with the F12? Since I'd be using the notebook as a desktop workstation replacement, it would be nice to gain a few ports so that I could use a keyboard, mouse, and two monitors while keeping the notebook's lid closed and out of the way.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.