Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would like to try it on my F. Could you describe how you ran your test & mention which tools or utilities you used?

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Agreed. I don't use the Dolby enhancements for music playback. The depth and distortion is all wrong. It sure is great for movies though.

I hear you. I feel like the world is super tiny while I'm plugged into my headphones. Can't hear outside noises, and that could be creepy if I didn't live in such a safe part of town. :D

I mainly use external speakers, Logitech V20, which I love. They have different drivers and enhancement software than the Dolby enhancements on the Realtek drivers. I find that music playback, like the other options, is best heard w/ none of the enhancements on.

This is really sad that it's come to this. I'd join up, but will just pass over his posts until he's left one stating that he's got his VAIO in hand. We've all offered a lot of advice. A lot of advice has been patiently provided, but there really isn't more we can do until the questions stop moving in circles.

P.S. - Good God, Joe Bleau, the BBC could film an entire episode just from the wildlife that camps out on your laptop! :D

3. philm94

philm94 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I used ToneGenerator ( Tone Generator Software - Audio Test Tone Generator Download ) on a reference "good" soundcard ( ASUS Xonar DS - Sound card - 24-bit - 192 kHz - 107 dB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo ) to create a sweeping tone from 20hz - 20khz (the typical range quoted for 'human hearing') and recorded the result on the mic jack on the Vaio F.

A true line-in will show equal sensitivity to the full range of frequencies, but a mic port will be 'tweaked' to reduce background noise (low-pass filter).

There seems to be a low-pass filter at about 16khz on the Vaio's mic port.

Not a fault, not by a long way, but it is not a "line in" port.

If you wanted to generate the same results without spending any money you can generate some frequencies in Audacity - though it would be painstaking to do all 18980 :p

Beyond the raw frequency response, the mic port will also show a much MUCH worse SNR than a line in port - as the the pickup is always boosted on a mic port, even with the "boost" turned off.

4. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info but some steps are missing, no?

After "and recorded the result on the mic jack on the Vaio_F", then how did you check the frequency response?

Did you try Listen to this device and > Advanced tab > Studio Quality?

Testing the F's mic jack input with a music player capable of sounds higher than 16khz should work too, no?

5. gobby

gobby Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice spider Joe :eek:

6. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Tx. My cats found it about 1 meter from where I was typing on the F. They were quite excited. It takes about 2 minutes to tame a Tarantula. We don't have deadly ones in Costa Rica. She could climb on the US semi glossy LCD BTW.

7. philm94

philm94 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oops. Yes.

To check the frequency response you can do an FFT in Audacity ... I forget by now if this is a stock tool or a free plugin I grabbed. Either way it's simple to get.

You then get a graph of frequency against amplitude, rather than amplitude against time :)

Whether it's set to 'studio quality' or 'CD quality' won't matter (I very much imagine it is up-sampling to get to 96khz.. "Realtek" hardware audio is not 24bit/96khz ... that's just a built in Windows preset) as the Nyquist frequency on a 44.1khz sample is 22khz ... which means that is what the ADC low-pass filter will be set to. 16khz should be fine.

Again, frequency response aside, a mic port doesn't have the fidelity of a line in port. It's got too much gain on the input, the impedance is wrong.

8. chuang7

chuang7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm consider of buying a sony F-series laptop. I'm having a hard time deciding because I don't really quite get this turbo boosting the processor thing. I know that (for example) a computer can be 1.7 gHz and goes to 2.8 gHz when needed w/ this turbo boosting. Something like overclocking right??

I wanna know if it will cause the computer to overheat if it goes to 2.8gHz (the max) and stay there for a while - an hour or 2.

Also, is this a decent laptop to play games with? Not a total hardcore gamer, but would like to play some games. Probably just starcraft II when its out.

9. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a favor:

Could anyone post all avaiable color profiles as links or send me PM ? I know there is mat800 profile, Joe's profile and there was also another one I would like to try and compare.

Please post links to all avaiable color profiles - its important.

Also, I received yesterday my F12S from warranty service - document stated that there wasnt any dead or defective pixels but the screen had holes on the opposite side (internal side). They switched it for brand new and all I could say is it doesnt have 1/3 light bleed/clouding. 2 CCFL backlit is visible on top and the bottom and little shadow in the corners but this screen is simply brilliant. Sony also added blue cleaning cloth with Vaio logo as part of being sorry about the defective screen.

Blu ray sticker was cool. Blue Vaio cleaning cloth is even better.

10. LGarlando

LGarlando Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a VPCF11Z1E/BI that broke and had the motherboard replaced. When it came back it only had half the RAM i purchased it with. Also in the VAIO Control Center is says the model name is: VPCF11Z1EI rather than BI.

Can somebody with one of these laptops please tell me what their control center says under system information? Also, what should the L2/L3 cache memory be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.