Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcirtaP

kcirtaP Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I now own a vaio F12. I did the clean install as Joe wrote:
    http://www.monteverde.org/images/Sony_Vaio_F11/Vaio_F_Series_Clean_Install_Guide.htm

I had to do it twice tough, cause I missed the restart driver . On the second
    attempt I did not use the discs but installed from the rescue partition.
    This time I got it right and all worked out well.

One thing I noticed, is that the task to kill is no longer called
    "Restore Complete System" but "Vaio care rescue".

Also the recovery center has a different name and other user dialogs.
    Just don't get confused here.

To get the function keys working, I followed the instructions from ilfuca:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/460685-win-7-fresh-install-guide-vaio-f-series.html#post5903300

Just follow the instructions from step 7.

Thanks to all the people here for there ongoing contribution!

Servus,
    kcirtaP

2. froulis

froulis Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone knows how I can make the Broadcom bluetooth drivers override the native windows 7 ones after a clean installation?

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    But if you have the line coming from a receiver into the laptop USB port, would this not give you the desired quality? And external soundcard would not be needed? My apologies since I have not fully researched this topic yet. But since it's kind of come up here on the forum, the mic input question, I'm asking if anyone has experience with recording vinyl with their F or any other similar system. My understanding is that you need a receiver along with software like Audacity or Abobe Soundbooth for sure. Anything else about this topic I'm a noob.

4. J-Alex

J-Alex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on an F12 EU, this will be my first ever laptop, I wanted to take advantage of the free Blu-Ray writer.

Now then, I can say that there is still hope for omaroo, I have been looking for the perfect laptop for some time and finally came to the conclusion after scouring Notebook Review that there is no such thing as the perfect laptop, I have looked at Dell Studio's, Studio XPS 1640, 45 & 47, Vostro's, Latitudes, HP Envy 15 1st & 2nd Gen, Envy 17, Sony FW & finally F12.

I have ordered what Sony list as an VPCF12XE

Intel CoreTM i7-740QM, 1.73GHz
    Windows® 7 Professional(64bit)
    Premium Black
    320 GB Serial ATA (7200 rpm)
    8 GB 1333MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    Blu-ray Disc(TM) writer
    41.6 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GB

Hopefully I will receive it soon, although it says ships in 2 to 3 weeks.

5. lazaross

lazaross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I didn't know that. But why in the menu has the option to enable dolby surround?

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Just gave you a rep point for your order. Give us your input when you get it and let us know if you consider it a whiner. Seriously, do well all have the same sound coming from our laptops or are they different? At this point I believe they are all the same and it just bothers some more than others. i7 processor along with a cool system= no problem.

7. J-Alex

Reputations:
    Thanks I have rep'd you back, I will certainly give you my feedback, I work for an IT company and I end up having to rebuild pc's & laptops on a regular basis for our clients, so I hope I would have a good idea of how noisy it is or isn't, I am sure compared to the 6 servers about 10 feet away from my desk it will be very quiet;)

8. J-Alex

Reputations:
  9. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    It emulates surround sound. To really experience it, put on some headphones and watch your favorite movie with both of the Dolby enhancements active. You'll most likely pull of your headphones at least once because you're sure that you heard the noise coming from your speakers as well as the headphones.

10. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    kcirtaP, thanks for the feedback & glad you worked it out. :cool:

If you could spell out the details about the differences vs_F11, I would be happy to add it to the guide. Edit: I updated the guide with some of your observations.

Specifically: "Also the recovery center has a different name and other user dialogs. Just don't get confused here." - Could you run it w/o actually doing a recovery & make some screen captures or do some snapshots?

"On the second attempt I did not use the discs but installed from the rescue partition" - I forgot to mention that, it's the easiest if you are installing on the OEM HDD & want to keep the OEM recovery partition anyway.

Did you check the resources usage & size of the OS on the C partition before installing additional software like I did?

[​IMG]

I have a spare HDD & if someone could mail me a set of F12_OEM recovery discs, I would gladly use them to write an F12_clean install with OEM discs guide. ;)

Don't worry, your specific unique product key is not in those discs. It's a mass Sony_OEM activation key that works in conjunction with your BIOS. It checks if the system is a_Vaio than proceeds to install the OS & the Vaio_added value software + bloatware if you don't abort the process like kcirtaP & I did.

That's why you don't need to go online to activate it with Microsoft after that custom clean install with the user created OEM recovery discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.