1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did anyone read my prior post???

Even the very best SSDs are only capable of 55-65MB/second reads with small files. The larger the file, the faster they read. Thus, now they are beginning to post I/O ops per second also. If you think that an SSD like mine, which reads 4KB files at about 10MB/second is slow, average HDDs read 4MB files at under 1 MB/second.

I stated earlier that the larger the file size, the faster they read and write. This is why SSD (and HDD) manufacturers post read and write speeds of "UP TO (X) MB/second". You are seeing just that. At 64KB files, my read speeds are about 100-105MB/second. Yours should be faster. By the time I get to a256KB block size, my reads are very close to 200MB/second and at 1MB blocks I get to 218MB/second with peak read speeds of about 240MB/second (give or take 5-8MB/second depending on how clean my SSD is at the time).

This is NOT the AHCI driver, it is how hard drives work, including SSDs. They are more efficient at reading larger, sequential files than they are at small files. Worse yet are files that are non-sequential (random file read).

Just for giggles, plug in a 4KB block size and see what kind of speeds you get. Also, remember that the Vertex 2 is the newest Sandforce controlled SSD and is VERY fast at small reads and writes when compared to older SSDs, and will completely destroy any HDD at small block reads.

2. Iznogoud

Iznogoud Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  3. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I did!

So, can I get some rep for that? :)

BTW 64kb is the default file size in HD Tune which we 7200.4 tester have been using so far.

4. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know 64KB is the default size. Three months ago I went through tis same problem with HD Tune. Then I figured it out. There is nothing wrong with these results. This is the nature of the beast!

Techware Labs tests a lot of hard drives and they use HD Tune Pro. Look at their results at 64KB. They use the HD Tune app that shows different R/W speeds based on file block size. You can see how much lower 64KB is than larger block speeds.

I'd give you rep Joe, but we have been giving it back and forth so much that they told me I could not give you any more!

5. Gintoki1

Gintoki1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sony Keyboard Skin f/ Sony VAIO E Series Notebook VGPKBV3/B -

1 more time.. This was already answered but will this fit if i cut the number pad out? and just move it so there is enough room? i really want some sort of keyboard skin and this is all i can find.
    do you think it will fit if i cut it?.. because i dont know the exact length between each key on this keyboard

6. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    I think you missed the point: we are 4 users with the same drive in our F & I kick their butts both in normal & safe mode (except anseio's): Vaio_F Series Monitor Calibration and Users Created Profiles Roundup.

80-83 MB/s Average Read speed is excellent for that drive for 64kb files in HD Tune. I'm not the one complainin' and we did not find why such a difference for similar systems & identical drives yet....

7. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm kinda surprised you need to cut the numpad. Try a skin for the E series 17"?

It's gonna look like if you cut it. Besides, a new keyboard is only about $30 shipped, prolly less than the cost of those silicon thingies.

8. Gintoki1

Gintoki1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Er well I dont want a new keyboard i just want to avoid any hairs or something getting in the keys also in case i may spill something on my keyboard..

anyway the one i posted suposedly the numpad closer on that one compared to the f11 im not sure a e series 17 would work..

9. punkbuddhaz

punkbuddhaz Newbie

Reputations:

Chat conversation with sony support !!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Problem: i am having problem with my m-audio sound card which is conflicting with my wireless card.

analyst Whitney_ has entered room

Whitney_> Hi Bigyan. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Whitney. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Bigyan > hello whitney

Whitney_> Thanks for waiting, Bigyan. I'm sorry that the Sound Card is conflicting with the Video Card. I’ll be happy to assist you with this.

Whitney_> Please provide some additional details so I may better understand your concern.

Bigyan > i am myself a sound engineer and an electriconics engineer. and my sound card is having high latency problem with the artheros wireless thing.

Bigyan > i am using the maudio sound card with 4pin firewire cable.

Whitney_> Bigyan, I'm sorry that we can not assure the compatibility of third party Hardware with the Computer.

Bigyan > the third party hardware is not a problem ... but i have talked with few of the engineers too. that if sony can update the bios it wont be of any problem. the dropout of the fire wire port is not a third party hardware thing the drop out can be found with any hardwares.

Whitney_> There is a BIOS Update for the Computer Model and it resolves the issue with the thermal managemant issue with the Computer.

Bigyan> In detail, if you use a video camera or a sound card with the firewire port, dropouts are visible, hence the problem is the firewire port isnt giving a reliable connection, even using old sony dv style handy camera can cause dropouts, i think now you are more aware of the problem

Bigyan > I have already updated the thermal update we really would like to thank sony for that. but the fire wire dropout problem is really big problem in the audio and video forums if you have ever checked it out.

Whitney_> I'm sorry, Bigyan. We are not aware of this being an issue.

Bigyan > what do you advice me then

Whitney_> However, I will definitely pass on this feedback to the concerned department.

Bigyan > my friends have installed a pcie firewire card slot in the laptop which too dosent solve the problem

Bigyan > i am really ready to provide all the problem and others who are havin problems in the firewire port

Bigyan > hope sony would contact me in my email as provided.... sooon with some solution. thanks whitney from your support.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. jjthenovice

jjthenovice Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not sure what this has to do with the price of eggs in China but here's some of my HD results. The one using Crystal used 50 MB files for testing. This is an Intel SSD 160 gig G2

Attached Files:

11. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone done a clean install of an EU spec F11 ? I have not as yet . Is it any different to the US spec procedure ?

My EU F11 average month boot time is 1 min 30 secs currently.

12. lundstrom.emil

lundstrom.emil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unsure how to say this, but we are NOT trying to reach 300 MB/s with HDD:s. Our OEM HDD, Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS has a SATA2 communication protocol

that MIGHT boost performance. To use the SATA2, a jumper needs to be removed which it is on our OEM drives, but the OEM drives still uses SATA1 or a slower communication protocol.

We are trying to find out why the OEM Drives is slower (proven by HD Tune, but not by Everest :/) then Joes HDD which is the same drive (but faster) as ours but not a OEM Drive. :)

13. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    One of the first clean install guide for the F was made by Ilfuca from Italy. Check post 1, page 1. No, not any different from US. A few drivers may vary but then they are on the discs or on your esupport (wifi card for example).

For an HDD, 1 min 30 secs is not bad, depends on what is loading on start. For example, mine boot's faster w/o Bluetooth but then I like my Bluetooth mouse to be ready when the OS kicks in. Same for iTunes which is bloatware to me but convenient for others, etc, etc.

Download the free Autoruns & check the Logon tab to see what is loading on your system. You can tweak at will there.

14. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks Joe. I had forgotten about Ilfuca and lost track of things in this saga.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/460685-win-7-fresh-install-guide-vaio-f-series.html#post5903300

I have use VaioCare to defrag the HDD and done the registry cleaner. The one click report is still showing a few problems which I will make a note of and post later- not affecting real world performance that I can see but still bugging me a little.

I will try uninstalling a few programs I added myself which I do not use. I have to date avoided putting iTunes on my f11, still relegated to my desktop. I hope I can keep it that way. Sorry, where do I find the log on tab ?

15. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    In Autoruns for Windows, an msconfig on steroid with the ability to save snapshots & compare them or go back to a previous startup configuration.

Check the clean install link in my sig below for some suggestions of what you can either disable in Logon or uninstall completely.

Some programs want to start with Windows & many of them call the mother ship. Several don't need to be started on boot nor run constantly in the background. For example, my current setting:

[​IMG]

You can do much more with Autoruns but then you need to know what you are doing. Help file & forums.

16. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone help me fall in love with this machine again. :]

17. dmk2

dmk2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, I did, but you seem to be missing the point.

I'm getting 60 MB/s faster speeds in Windows safe mode than I get with the same 64k block size in normal mode. That's the same type of degradation others are seeing with their hard drives. Also, the performance I'm getting in normal mode is slower than other published results for this model SSD using the same block size.

I didn't post my results to highlight the normal, expected difference in SSD performance at different block sizes. I posted to show that the issue others were having is not something unique to the OEM Seagate drive and also to help confirm that it's not a SATA-1 vs. SATA-2 thing.

I'm going to repeat the same tests with my VAIO Y and post the results tonight.

Thanks. I'll run AS SSD in both normal and safe modes and see what I get. Can you run HD Tune and do the same?

18. Undecided84

Undecided84 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    since the models I'm looking at are i7 quad core, is it true what people are saying about the overheating and loud fan? does it heat up more than say, your average laptop? could it withstand being on for 12 hours a day?

19. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Quote me any post that says the F overheats? lmao
    True it has a loud fan, but the cooling is excellent for an i7 laptop.
    Plus, I think when most people use the computer, people get absorbed into the screen without noticing the fan noise.
    Unless you like watching benchmarks loop, and concentrating on the fan noise, I don't ever get annoyed by it.

and there are screenshots of after-benchmark temps of the VAIO F, Envy 17/16 i forgot, and MacBookPro.. you'd be surprised, it's posted some where in this thread earlier

20. Undecided84

Undecided84 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    it's mostly from people who are hesitant to buy an i7 laptop. Which F model do you have? I'm currently looking at these two but since the F11 is out of stock I'll probably get the F12. With my specs it comes to $1,250 without tax. What do you think?

CTO | Customize | Sony Canada

CTO | Customize | Sony Canada

i would love to see these screenshots if you can remember when and where they were posted. if the screen truly is superior, there's no overheating problem, and the fan isn't noticeable, then I'd buy it right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.