Official Sony VAIO AW Series 18.4" Owners thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Phil, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Albert Herremans

Albert Herremans Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody
    I am new on this forum, so not sure to address my request at the right place...
    my problem is probably simple, but I prefer to have the speclalist's advise...

my old AW41MF is equiped with 2x500 GB disks, which are both very slow and a friend of mine who tested them suggested me to replace them
    if doing so, can I transfer Win 7 which was installed when I bought the Vaio, or just re-install it fromscratch with the 3 DVDs I created then?

thanks in advance for any help

Albert

2. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't believe I'm back on one of these beauties (AW180Y/Q) after nine years. Yes I use another machine for all but the lightest gaming...but for everything else it still works beautifully...with some upgrades. T9900 like I had the first time and 2x1TB EVO 860's in RAID 0. Limiting factor in theses lappy's is always the cpu/gpu. I have tried to put in a Core 2 Quad Q9000. Same results as everyone else...it won't pass POST...even with having removed the five pins which allowed the VGN-FW guys to use the Q9000 and the QX9300 in that series. Something about the BIOS in the AW's I guess. Why am I back to this 10 year old machine? The unmatched LED RGB screen...sound like no modern laptop...with this huge case you can really get some sound out of the machine...keyboard with numeric keypad...a slot for every known memory card (the CF slot even handles the newest 160 MB/sec cards at their rated speed)...dedicated media controls...and drive space for several TB of storage space especially if you pull the optical drive and install (yet another) hard drive. Photographers will love this...videographers too...if the cpu doesn't hold you back too much. If you're gonna do what I did with the hard drives you need to have one of the models that came with a RAID bios (AW170Y/Q or AW180Y/Q or AW190 ordered with the RAIDed drives preinstalled in the US) AND you need the HDD2 SATA hard drive cable which came preinstalled in the 170Y/Q and selected AW190's. My 180 had the micro SATA cable in the second drive bay so I had to order the HDD2 cable from a joint in Singaporefor $52 USD. They are not easy to find anymore. The actual nomenclature and Sony part# are in an earlier post of mine from 10 years ago...search it. My only disappointment is that despite the success of the FW guys/girls in upgrading to the Quad processors their series there seems to be no option to do that here. All have the same experience. Black screen and failure to pass POST. And oh yeah...lets say I'm being VERY careful of my LED RGB screen. No option to replace that essential piece of this machine anymore!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019