Official Sony VAIO AW Series 18.4" Owners thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Phil, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Albert Herremans

Albert Herremans Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everybody
    I am new on this forum, so not sure to address my request at the right place...
    my problem is probably simple, but I prefer to have the speclalist's advise...

my old AW41MF is equiped with 2x500 GB disks, which are both very slow and a friend of mine who tested them suggested me to replace them
    if doing so, can I transfer Win 7 which was installed when I bought the Vaio, or just re-install it fromscratch with the 3 DVDs I created then?

thanks in advance for any help

Albert

2. orionz

orionz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can't believe I'm back on one of these beauties (AW180Y/Q) after nine years. Yes I use another machine for all but the lightest gaming...but for everything else it still works beautifully...with some upgrades. T9900 like I had the first time and 2x1TB EVO 860's in RAID 0. Limiting factor in theses lappy's is always the cpu/gpu. I have tried to put in a Core 2 Quad Q9000. Same results as everyone else...it won't pass POST...even with having removed the five pins which allowed the VGN-FW guys to use the Q9000 and the QX9300 in that series. Something about the BIOS in the AW's I guess. Why am I back to this 10 year old machine? The unmatched LED RGB screen...sound like no modern laptop...with this huge case you can really get some sound out of the machine...keyboard with numeric keypad...a slot for every known memory card (the CF slot even handles the newest 160 MB/sec cards at their rated speed)...dedicated media controls...and drive space for several TB of storage space especially if you pull the optical drive and install (yet another) hard drive. Photographers will love this...videographers too...if the cpu doesn't hold you back too much. If you're gonna do what I did with the hard drives you need to have one of the models that came with a RAID bios (AW170Y/Q or AW180Y/Q or AW190 ordered with the RAIDed drives preinstalled in the US) AND you need the HDD2 SATA hard drive cable which came preinstalled in the 170Y/Q and selected AW190's. My 180 had the micro SATA cable in the second drive bay so I had to order the HDD2 cable from a joint in Singaporefor $52 USD. They are not easy to find anymore. The actual nomenclature and Sony part# are in an earlier post of mine from 10 years ago...search it. My only disappointment is that despite the success of the FW guys/girls in upgrading to the Quad processors their series there seems to be no option to do that here. All have the same experience. Black screen and failure to pass POST. And oh yeah...lets say I'm being VERY careful of my LED RGB screen. No option to replace that essential piece of this machine anymore!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  3. orionz

Reputations:
    PS...if you try to restore on of these from the original restore disks...yes I still have mine...they won't work with a modern SSD...you have to use an old SATA optical drive...then image that hard drive using Acronis or similar software...then restore the image to the SSD. That should work. Also been doing a lot of research on putting a Core 2 Quad in the AW's. No luck so far. I doesn't appear to be as much related to BIOS as to lack of motherboard support...maybe related to three phase power to the cpu and/or getting GTLREF voltage to pin D22 on the chip...neither of which the AW's seem to have...but then neither do the VGN-FW series and it works there with only removing five pins from the die. It's a head scratcher...

4. Theofilos

Theofilos Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi to everyone!!!!!

I am new to this forum!!! great job for Sony Vaio aw!!!!!!

I have a vgn aw 31m (Greece) that I want to upgrade-restore it. Recently, I bought the second ribbon for 1.8 ssds raid. I can see the two others hard disks at bios. When I find 1.8 disks, do I I have to install software for the raid (win 10) ????? I have the restore disks but for win vista. Would the raid function be there????

Next step is to upgrade to full hd, tv tuner, better cpu, 8 gb ram, br rom writer (now only reader) and fingerprint. I can see that my motherboard has only one mini pciexpress and I cant find where the fingerprint connects to my motherboard. I would like to ask if the motherboard mbx 194 is the same for all aw models????

Thank you in advance!!!!!!

5. orionz

Reputations:
    I am not familiar with the original specs of the AW31M/H. What little I can find indicates it came with only one 500GB hard drive. But MAY have come with the additional twin 64GB microSATA ssd's or two mechanical drives in RAID zero. If YOUR machine was originally equipped one of the last two ways then you SHOULD have the RAID option ROM. But if there was NO cable present in your second hard drive bay chances are it didn't. Go to BIOS set up-ADVANCED page and look for an entry for SHOW/HIDE RAID status or similar entry. There should be ONLY 2 lines on the advanced page...ENABLE/DISABLE Intel Virtualization Technology and SHOW/HIDE RAID status...it won't be hard to find...IF it's there. If the SHOW/HIDE RAID status line is NOT there...then no firmware RAID support is available because Sony only put it on the machines ORIGINALLY equipped with the twin drives. You can still install one or more SSD's...you just can't make a RAID array out of them. Current technology SSD's are so fast that RAID is no longer the premium feature it once was but I have it in mine and am glad I do. But to my knowledge there is no way to install it after the fact...either your BIOS has it or it doesn't. Thank you Sony. If you decide to install to a modern SSD...whether in RAID or not...from your restore disks there is a high chance that the restore will fail. First be sure your restore disks are for your EXACT model. If they are not...they won't work. No known way around the Sony model check. I found that when restoring my machine with similar WinVista disks...the restore wouldn't run with the target being a modern SSD. I had to install an old IDE (PATA) mechanical hard disk, then run the restore to the mechanical disk...and then image the ENTIRE disk to a USB hard drive using Acronis True Image and then restore the backup to the SSD(s). That gave me a valid activated OS I could then upgrade to a newer more usable one. In my case that was Win7 Ultimate which I happened to have a code for from a long failed machine. Or you can go straight to Win10 but Microsoft may try to charge you for installing that unless the machine has previously had it installed. Good luck.

Theofilos likes this.
  6. antoniss2k

antoniss2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.
    Suddenly my screen filled with colored pixels.
    When I uninstall the drivers from the graphics card Nvidia geforce 9600M GT is ok but once I reinstall the same again.
    In the Bios It works normally only when log in on windows 10 64bit have this problem.I did a month ago format.
    i try different drivers but have the same.
    I do not have the temperature issue because I
    clean it out all the time. Can someone help me or my card died.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47829034682_d97a369ec8_m.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47091632794_2092c064f9_b.jpg

7. Theofilos

Theofilos Newbie

Reputations:
    antoniss2k did you try to check this issue with external monitor?????

8. orionz

Reputations:
    This has almost got to be a driver issue. If the display looks normal in BIOS and with some type of default driver...it is highly unlikely to be a hardware failure...either in the 9600MGT chip (which oh by the way is soldered to the motherboard...it is not a replaceable card) or the display panel itself. To confirm driver issue with WIN 10, I suggest you load up WIN 7 or Vista and use oem driver from Sony and see if problem still exists. All the original drivers are still on their website if you google your exact model #.