Official Sony VAIO AW Series 18.4" Owners thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Phil, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is a Samsung SSD I have got on Amazon two or three years ago, now I don´t remember the exact model. Before that, I had another SSD from... OCZ I think, and before that the normal HDD. I am pretty sure that on my model any SATA drive is fine.

2. p.laver

p.laver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've done some more digging the SSD card fitted by Sony has a unique connector called uSATA that was only manufactured by Samsung. I've decided to just renew the 500GB hard drive. Everything is now back up and running with WIN7 installed.

3. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Glad to see that you have solved!
    I guess there may be differences between the AW models, I have been using the old drives taken out from the AW11S on normal desktop PCs and other laptops, so I am pretty sure that I have a standard SATA connector on mine.

4. p.laver

Reputations:
    did the 11S have a SSD card fitted from new, when I bought mine you could spec single or twin HDD or single HHD with 120GB SSD which at the time I think was new tech back 2009.

5. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, it had only one standard HDD. I added the second connector for the second HDD, then changed the first for a SSD.

6. johnman3535

johnman3535 Newbie

Reputations:
    hello to all owners of aw series , i have a question i want make to my aw11z/b the same setup as the users PEPELITSA and fat4l , T9900 CPU-3.07GHz, 2x4GB ddr2 ram, 1x SSD, 1x HDD, windows 10 64 bit i dont know if the users PEPELITSA and fat4l , uses this setup on aw11z/b ..... is it possible i need help ....... what do i need ? !!!! thanks !!!!!

7. dkoumentos

dkoumentos Newbie

Reputations:
    I would like to ask if it's possible or anyone has done it, to replace the HD screen 1650x945 single CCFL lamp screen 18.4" with the FHD dual CCFL screen 1920x1080 by replacing as well the inverter with the dual one. Is it feasible?

8. dkoumentos

dkoumentos Newbie

Reputations:
    I want to replace my 1680x945 single CCFL lamp screen with 1920x1080 either with two lamps CCFL or LED. Can you share any more info. Tried just to replace the screen with a dual CCFL screen but had minor graphic problems in my desktop area. Did you finally make it work? :) Didn't change the inverter with the dual one just checked it with OEM though. Thanks

9. p.laver

Reputations:
    I need little help with my ageing AW series BLURAY/CD ROM, can some point in the right direction where I can find a up todate BLURAY/CD ROM driver also just encase it's not the driver, does anyone know where I pick up a another BLURAY/CD ROM.

10. DimitrisCSD

DimitrisCSD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello. Sent my current MSI laptop away for RMA service so I pulled out the ancient AW to use while it's gone.

I noticed it's getting really hot by just idling and I suppose it could use a good clean inside.

How easy is it to clean the vent and fan? Any guides out there?

Thanks in advance.