]]>

Official Sony VAIO AW Series 18.4" Owners thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Phil, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Pepelitsa

Pepelitsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello fat4l can you give us more detailed information about sceen replaicement? Now i have LCD display and i want upgrade to LED.
    Apart from display we have the same setup here (T9900, 8Gb RAM, EVO SSD + WD Black 7200, USB 3.0, Intel Wireless AC7260)
    Thanks in advance!

2. fat4l

fat4l Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi.
    What exactly would u liek to know ? :)
    let me see, i should still have some pics of "how to".

3. fat4l

fat4l Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. p.laver

p.laver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone recommend a replacement SSD drive for my aging AW series. Thanks

I've just pulled out the SSD, I didn't realise there were two drives which doesn't help identify which one is causing the problem with crashing and the blue screen of death!!! Can replace both drives with only one 128gb rather than two 64gb.

Only one C drive only ever showed up in Windows!!! with a capacity of 106GB

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 256GB SSD on my AW11S and a 512GB standard drive on the second channel. I think any SATA SSD will be fine, don´t spend money for superfast drives, since you will not be using it.
    Which blue screen do you get? Once in a while, I get the 0x07 code (if I remember correctly), meaning a HD or controller failure. I think in my case is a controller failure, since the HDD log does not show any error.
    I´m glad to see that there is someone else with the laptop... mine is almost a zombie now, but I don´t want to change it. There is absolutely nothing like it on the market. I had already the keyboard and HDD changed, the lamp controller also changed, but one lamp is failing and the screen may be dying any time now. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a honest replacement for the screen yet...

6. p.laver

Reputations:
    Hi, thank you for your reply, I'm a little confused, I have 2 uSSD cards and a standard SSD card I don't think will fit. I have attached a photo of one of the cards the other fits directly underneath. I was thinking about not replacing the cards as I only have the operating system installed. Is it possible to operate the laptop without the SSD cards and install the OS on a fresh hard drive??

Attached Files:

7. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm, that is strange, maybe your model has a special cable for uSSD. On my laptop, originally there was only the standard HDD, then I added the second cable for the second drive and changed the first to a standard SSD.

8. p.laver

Reputations:
    image.jpeg Mine was one of the first to launched in the UK with 500gb HDD with 120gb SSD, see photo for the two bays

9. gpc

gpc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, physically, a SSD should fit in there, the space is exactly the same as for the normal drive. As you can see, there is an additional holder to keep the smaller drive in place.
    The connector does not seem different from a standard SATA, but I cannot be sure. Why don´t you just try to remove the two disks and see if you can plug the normal drive in the SSD connector? If it works, you should be able to use any SSD.

10. p.laver

Reputations:
    Can you let me know what SSD you installed. Thanks