]]>

Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    can't help you with the backup software, but there are guides on this thread about cleain installing Windows 7. why don't you start over with another clean install, following one of those guides and installing drivers in the order mentioned in the guide?

2. Rajveer

Rajveer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I did a clean upgrade and ran Windows Update, and both AMD and Intel drivers were installed automatically. Apparently Windows 10 dynamically switches which GPU it uses - have you found it uses your HD6630 at all? I'm trying to create an OpenGL context in code but can only create a 3.1 one, so it looks like for me the AMD GPU isn't being used.

3. Rajveer

Reputations:
    I have a folder with all the drivers I used for a clean install of Windows 7 on my SA3 last year, here is a dropbox link (this should be the correct folder):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojca4a36myad53r/vaio_sa_windows_7_drivers_2014.zip?dl=0

Everything was working fine with no useless installations (except Smart Network, you may want to not install that if you want). I can't remember the order though, but it's in this thread somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  4. alonne

alonne Newbie

Reputations:
    Nobody has problem with the win7 trackpad driver on W10 ??

I tried and sometime the trackpad makes like a small jump.

5. laurentg0

laurentg0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I apologize for my English.
    After 4 years without so much troubles, suddenly, my vpcsb1s1e refuses to turn on. It seems to be dead, there is no green light when the AC adapter is plugged.
    And the power button has become totally useless. on battery, on A/C adapter, with or without the battery, on the dock station or standalone.
    I checked the A/C adapter with my voltmeter, it is still delivering 19,6V and the green led of my dock station is green.

I try to found a solution in this thread, but I did not find anything relevant. As there is no light anymore, I think, there is a serious problem with the motherboard "power supply part".

I started disassembling the pc, off course I cannot find/see anything.
    I read that removing the CMOS battery, may solve my problem, I will give it a try tomorrow, (now it"s too late) and let you know.

Disassembling the pc, I discovered that there is a daughter docking board where also the power cables from the the battery or from the A/C adapter arrive.

Do you think, this docking board may be the cause of the problem, or the motherboard itself ?

Any ideas are welcome

Laurent

6. laurentg0

laurentg0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This thread does not seem to be very active anymore...
    Anyway, some news from my vaio brick ;)
    The CMOS battery trick did not work for me.
    I check that the current comes to the docking board. It's OK when the A/C adapter is plugged.
    but I discover that the battery seems to be shorted. My voltmeter reads 0V where 11.1V are expected.

My question is still open, do I buy a docking board or the motherboard first ?...

Laurent

7. Budg

Budg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How's the battery life with Windows 10? And the fans, can they stay off with low stress?

8. Rajveer

Reputations:
    Battery life seems a bit worse, but maybe I'm remembering Windows 7 differently. The fans seem to spin up more even though I turned TurboBoost off (at least I think I did, "Maximum processor state" is set at 99%), but I used to have fan issues with Windows 7 so again I might be remembering this differently.

I wouldn't mind all of this if I could get the bloody AMD GPU to work but I've given up on this laptop now and have put in an order for an XPS 15.

9. FishStik

FishStik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wanted to share my Win 10 experience on my 4.5 year-old SB1 ... overall not bad. Battery life is around 2-3 hours which I've grown accustomed to in the past few years :p. Didn't notice any big difference coming from 8/8.1. My fan has always been screaming since day one, that hasn't changed much. Regarding the GPU graphics, I found that the default Windows drivers work with both the AMD 6470M as well as the HD 3000. Switchable is broken, but I can just disable the AMD GPU in device manager pretty quickly, so not that big a deal.

Overall, given that this thing has been working for as long as it has, and given how much work I've put it through, I've had a good experience with this laptop. Haven't had to do any repairs so the $1000 bucks was well worth it I think. I'm thinking of replacing the HDD (which is showing its age) with an SSD and see if I can squeeze a few more years out of this thing.

10. electronicsguy

electronicsguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So in essence, it doesn't work. Not surprising, since everyone (including Sony) has been saying the same thing. I'd rather keep my VPC-SC on Windows 7. I still like playing Crysis on it, for which I need working switchable graphics, working brightness OOTB, working standby and wakeup from suspend without a BSOD. I don't see any great benefit on having Windows 10 on it, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    altair_xms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.