Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ you posted in the wrong thread. repost in the Z2 owners thread.

2. DriessenbeeR

DriessenbeeR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anybody trying to install Windows 10 on a Vaio SB(2)?
    I remember the hard time I had to get Windows 8.1 work on my Vaio SB2 and I do not know if I want to go through this process again o_O
    As described above, Sony really created a mess with the switchable graphics.

3. boatbod

boatbod Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently upgraded to Win10 on my SA, and while I can report the machine runs windows just fine, I have been unable to get it to either sleep or hibernate without a BSOD when it wakes back up. I think it's a screen driver problem (there is slight corruption in the lower right status bar) by neither Sony's drivers not the AMD generic work any differently in that regard. Further diagnostic is proving difficult since the machine refuses to write a minidump no matter how it is configured.

4. DriessenbeeR

DriessenbeeR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After upgrading I would like to do a clean installation. The question is, would the driver solution for Windows 8.1 also work with Windows 10? Or are there any major issues?

5. boatbod

boatbod Newbie

Reputations:
    For the most part the 8.x drivers either work or are replaced by Win10's own drivers. At present I have no driver installed for the fingerprint sensor (never used it anyway, so not a big loss) and since I don't use the switchable graphics I can't say whether that is reliable or not.

6. Budg

Budg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Something else; did you guys notice any difference in battery life since the upgrade to Windows 8 / 8.1 ?

The first months with my Vaio SB (2011, still had Windows 7) I got almost 7 hours out of the default battery (Stamina mode of course). Batteries degrade so I'm not surprised that I get around 2 hours out of it after 4 years. So a few months ago I bought a new battery to see if I can get 7 hours again but to my disappointment the battery life was only 2.5-3 hours. I guess it's because the machine isn't optimized for the new Windows. Did you guys also notice this? Anyone still on Windows 7 and with good battery life?

7. Budg

Budg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. xsaver

xsaver Newbie

Reputations:
    About windows 10 compatibility !
    the solution (p654 by DriessenbeeR) that suggest for windows 8 and windows 8.1 perfectly work on those windows.
    but absolutely not work on windows 10 !
    for running windows 10 you must download AMD driver form its site for HD6630
    and run windows update to download Intel driver for 3000 Intel graphic,
    then the solution that present page 654 must install without number 1 installation.
    every thing except Graphic switch Stamina /Speed work.
    I guess default profile is speed!!!

9. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows Update has stopped working on my machine (running Windows 7). it cannot download anything anymore. i've tried all the guides and fixed i could find (including Windows Update fix utilities from Microsoft), but nothing worked. i also did a system restore, but the problem persisted. the thing is that with the current state of my machine, the service wuauserv service keeps using 25% of the CPU all the time, so i get a lot of battery drain and heat and fan noise, even though i cannot actually update anything anymore.
    has anybody had to deal with this issue before?

10. Arsh231

Arsh231 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not sure if anyone can help but i have a sony vaio sb and not reading ahead i have performed a clean install of windows 7......i am without backlit keyboard and nothing shows up under my vaio control center....i have installed all the drivers from sony and nothing works as it use to......

I had a backup made of all my drivers awhile back using a piece of software posted on these fourms but have since lost the name of that software to restore the drivers....please help me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.