Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thelibran

thelibran Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Clean Installation troubles. Vaio SB

One of my recovery dvd stopped reading after 3 years. So I could start the recovery but couldnt finish it. So I was left with no choice than to do a clean installation using a windows 7 dvd but it got me into a bit of a problems. Even opening a firefox puts me in the speed mode with fan making a lot of noise and I cant seem to use the hardware keys. I did install it but had to switch back to an earlier restore point coz my battery is almost dead and the vaio utilities started to shut me down asking me to replace battery. I mostly use my laptop plugged in and I dont want to spend money on a battery.

I was wondering if anyone have any workaround or would be kind enough to upload the restore dvd image for me.

thanks in advance.

2. Budg

Budg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you install the ATI drivers from the Sony website? It might have something to do with the sequence of installing things. There must be a guide how to do a clean install of windows 7 in this topic.

3. Bernoulli

Bernoulli Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I invite you to look into my message history (is very short) and you will find a way to fix it. In my opinion is the only one for this issue.

Have a good day

4. wahad

wahad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, one quick question. I have SA notebook for 2 years, never cleaned it nor changing thermal paste. Am i going to gain something regarding temps if i change thermal paste? And is there any way to change fan? Something faster with less noise...

5. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If it's anything like my SA it's now so clogged with dust that blowing it out with air won't fix it. Mine ran pretty darned hot before I disassembled it and replaced the thermal paste. Lots of dust in there, pretty clogged up. Before it was running over 80C all the time and would shut down when trying to game etc... First I cleaned it, then did thermal paste when that wasn't enough as it was still pretty hot at max performance, easily high 90s. After replacing the paste it was running in the 50s to 60s at low level use and never went over 88 or so while gaming. BIG difference. It's long since been retired since the 6630 in it really can't compete against more modern GPUs (GT650M in my Asus and better cooling.)

6. wahad

Reputations:
    Mine is running at 62-65 while im just using Chrome and MS Word, and I'm not even watching something on Youtube... Total idle, just turn on and put it aside is mid 50s. I've never tried gaming on my laptop and I'm just using stamina mode because of battery life. Basically, it only work use with it, but i think 2 years without cleaning and maintenance is a lot. I will try to change thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5. If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

I saw that some Vaios are having thermal pad, so VPC SA is using thermal paste right?

Also, i cant find new fan for VPCSA laptops only I can find on the internet (after market and silent by impressions by others) is Eathtek's one

http://www.amazon.com/Eathtek-VPC-C...06895976&sr=8-1&keywords=eathtek+sony+vpc+fan

and

Amazon.com: SONY Vaio VGN-CS320J/P VGN-CS320J/Q CPU FAN: Computers & Accessories

Don't know if even one of these two will ge good for VPCSA

Thanks for answers :)

7. Sxooter

Reputations:
    Your temps don't sound bad at all. I'd probably just leave it be.

The SA has a thermal pad for the GPU. I just removed it and bent the legs for the heat sink for it so it sat directly on it. other folks use a brass shim with thermal paste on both sides.

8. wahad

Reputations:
    What about CPU? Same as GPU thermal pad or thermal paste?

9. Sxooter

Reputations:
    CPU is direct contact with thermal paste.

10. wahad

Reputations:
    Ok awesome, i dont care about gpu since im not using it. I just need to figure out what fan should i put inside replacing original one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.