Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

1. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^ there is a newer version available from DELL. i haven't tried them though.

2. Nothingtown

Nothingtown Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried dualbooting from both SSD and HDD? As in installing Ubuntu/Mint/whatever on the HDD and have a Windows on the SSD? I'm thinking of installing Windows 8 devprev (or wait until Beta) on the HDD and still have Windows 7 on SSD. Any thoughts on possible complications with, say, the bootloader?

3. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    there is an update for Intel WiDi on VAIO Update. have you installed that as well?

4. officer_hardass

officer_hardass Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yes, i have widi 2.1.42

is widi and powerDVD working properly for you?

5. baldursgate

baldursgate Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just tried these, and they are a bit nicer. Two-finger scrolling has an inertia option, and three-finger flick is there, though that doesn't seem to work very well. So, still not as good as Synaptics but not horrible either.

6. d3v0

d3v0 Newbie

Reputations:
    bah. it wont let me boot from my bootable USB with the Crucial M4 SSD firmware update. Just says no drives found??

SA31FX w/ 128GB Crucial m4

I set the boot to external of course, it properly loads to the crucial firmware update, but then it just finds no drives. So odd. Here is the guide/software I used. (This exact system worked for my desktop PC, which also used the crucial M4 SSD)
    How to Upgrade Crucial SSD Firmware | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

7. darxide_sorcerer

Reputations:
    i haven't tried WiDi since i don't have a TV i can use it with. but my PowerDVD works fine (if that's what you meant).

8. Megol

Megol Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The size is right, the interface is right and the aspect ratio is right, it should fit right in.
    However the product number (LT131) makes me wonder if the specifications are right... It could be a 13.1" screen and AFAIK only Sony Z series uses that form factor. That would make the interface embedded displayport which isn't compatible with LVDS.

Prefer glossy? That's must be a first ;) (JK once upon a time I did too)

9. na01

na01 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've made the same question a few posts ago.
    you need the modified bios or you need to place your ssd in another pc.
    The problem is the raid in the bios, you should disable it before updating the firmware

10. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Yup, Firmware Update utilities mostly use IDE mode.

Unless you can flash your drive within Windows(Some manufacturers have specific programs for this), mostly the drives won't work inside the BIOS and they aren't recognized even if you use the tool.

You must change the settings to IDE mode.