Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pizdets17

pizdets17 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    not true. Try any macbook pro.

2. Nothingtown

Nothingtown Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks! Just another week to wait. Or two. Or three. You never really know...

3. xplane9

xplane9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You do realize that the Envy 14 will make more fan noise right? And no, a larger laptop should naturally have quieter cooling since it has more space for air circulation. The Envy is overpriced with a subpar, lower resolution screen than the SA.

4. Sxooter

Sxooter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Macbook Pro 13" doesn't have a GPU... So no real comparison there.

5. PsychoduckiE

PsychoduckiE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Never really knew that. My brother has a ULV processor notebook, which never made a sound. So, I guess that's why I find the fan noise troublesome considering his notebook costs $7XX and this particular one $1249.

6. PsychoduckiE

PsychoduckiE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I guess I was spoiled by the "quietness" of my bigger laptop in the pass. I believe Envy NOW isn't overpriced. Before, it was, but with the coupon code released recently, it is decently, priced.

The tradeoff believe Envy and SA screen is resolution vs. contrast ratio. A matte screen shows weaker contrast ratio than a glare screen. Then, there is the cost tradeoff. They both can get better screen, but how much will the costumer want to pay.

7. Mashie

Mashie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I ran into a little issue today. This evening while sitting on the couch watching some television, I was browsing the web on the new SA and I was unable to keep a wireless connection. It would connect, then drop, connect for a bit (a few min) then drop etc. then I used "repair" on the wireless connection it told me "Default Gateway Not Available". Now keep in mind that I have a bunch of devices connected to the wireless network and none of them are having this issue.

I reset the router, cable modem etc and it made no difference. I then updated the router firmware just to make sure and still no difference. So finally, I cracked open my Samsung Series 9 which I had purchased a Centrino 6300 to replace the default wireless card since the Series 9 has such horrible WiFi reception and dropped the 6300 into the Sony SA "hoping" that the BIOS had it whitelisted and it worked.

So far all of my WiFi connection issues on the SA have disappeared :). I suppose it is possible I recieved a faulty 6230 even though the Intel tools said the hardware was fine. Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks

8. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    The noise profile is mostly better under load.

9. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    try updating the Intel wireless card's drivers directly from Intel.

10. pizdets17

pizdets17 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I wouldnt really call the 6630 a GPU. Its a bottom feeder as far as gaming is concerned. Could care less if mine had it. BY the way the older 13" macbook pro even with the huge core 2 duo chip at 2.8ghz and nvidia graphics gpu that I had was also dead silent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.