Official Sony SB/SA/SC/SD Series Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by ssssssssss, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nothingtown

Nothingtown Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey

I got my Vaio SA today and created a new partition to test drivers with a clean W7 Enterprise install. Everything seems to work so far except for the switch for switching between graphics. It's either the Radeon or the Intel Graphics depending on which driver I installed last. Has anybody got the switchable graphics to work with a clean install?

2. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    uninstall all graphics drivers, and install SONY's GPU driver with the switch set to SPEED.

3. Nothingtown

Reputations:
    Didn't work. Tried both the updated one and the original one. No response from the switch. Bot gfx-cards shows up in device manager so they are obviously installed properly. Re-installed Windows again to make sure nothing was left before testing this too.

Any other ideas out there? Do I need ethernet, chipset, Firmware Extension, Notebook Utilities or anything else perhaps for the switch to work? The switch still works in the original Windows that came with the computer so it has to be a driver issue somewhere.

4. Manipulate

Manipulate Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. xplane9

xplane9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Newegg probably just received some new black Vaio SAs shipments at a cheaper price, thus the cheaper price. It might go back to 879 pretty soon..

6. Manipulate

Reputations:
    Yay my ocz got here today.

I have spent ages analyzing the first post of this thread, but I have to say for someone who hasnt done this before its rather undetailed. I made a bootable USB key from a windows iso file. But when windows trys to install it claims there are no drivers found. I googled the issue, but all the results were for DVD installs and the answers were to use a usb key!

Other than the iso files, what else do I need? Did I get a bad iso? Where can I get a good one. I made recovery CD's, can I use those to install windows?

7. Nothingtown

Reputations:
    @Manipulate

I got that too. Turns out I had plugged my USB key in the USB 3.0 port instead of one of the 2.0 ports. Turned it off, switched to a 2.0 port and then it worked fine.

8. Manipulate

Reputations:
    Yeah I have tried all 3 usb ports...it must be a bad iso.....

9. darxide_sorcerer

darxide_sorcerer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you definitely need the Sony Firmware Extension Parser, Sony Notebook Utilities, and (i believe) Sony Shared Library.

0) download Driver Sweeper.
    1) uninstall all the drivers again through Control Panel.
    2) reboot in safe mode and remove all the remaining junk with Driver Sweeper.
    3) reboot and double check with Driver Sweeper again (i still had some AMD stuff remaining after one pass of Driver Sweeper and a reboot).
    4) make sure your Windows is now running in 800x600 resolution with the generic VGA driver.
    5) install the utilities above (and reboot if required).
    5) finally, install SONY's GPU drivers.

i hope it helps.

10. lardmaster

lardmaster Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bumping this question! Are you all just lugging around the standard Sony AC adapter? :p Well, I guess there aren't a whole lot of options, at least I couldn't find many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.