*** Official Sager NP9877 / Clevo P870TM-G Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 4 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’ve gotta get my CPU heat in check. I’m having a hard time getting voltage to stick at a fixed amount. So I’ve been running default adaptive voltage with a -0.175 undervolt at 5Ghz on all 6 cores” seems extremely stable”. But, Battlefield V at 1080P 144hz has proven to be extremely demanding. And pushes temps to 95C at times lol. Jeez what a game.

I may need to check this CPU’s TIM out. Maybe reapply some LM and do the toothpick or paperclip mod as well.

If I run LM on my GPU with the paper clip mod I should be fine right? Or would I still need a shim?

I’m going to order Krapton tape, Conductonaut, and standard thermal grizzly, and run some foam like other users have in the past.

I seriously need to get these temps in check.

2. matyee

matyee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BF is really cpu intensive and gpu also heat up to the top. I do not think the 750tm heatsink can handle 5ghz 8086k and full power 1080. Have you tried to cap the 1080 at 150W (0,9V) and also come down with the cpu a little bit? To be honest 5ghz looks great in the signature, but does not give the extra few hundred mhz to the fps ingame.

3. tps3443

Reputations:
    I popped my keyboard off 3 times today lol. I’m sure you guys already know what that means. Memory overclocking didn’t go so well. I think I’ll buy a better kit instead.

my memory runs at 2666mhz cas 19 1.2v 2t default

I couldn’t even get 1T with 1.35v.

2800mhz was crashing after boot up.

4. tps3443

Reputations:
    This laptop has been running at 5Ghz ever since I first turned it on directly out of the box it was mailed in. BFV has been the only game to really push cpu temps like this.

5. tps3443

Reputations:
    Also 5Ghz is not that unrealistic with a 8086K it is already delidded. Plenty of 8086K’s run 5Ghz with 1.3v. Most 8700K’s required about 1.45v for this kind of frequency. And plenty of users are running 4.7Ghz on a 8700K in a laptop with more voltage than I am running now.

these chips run 5Ghz like it is nothing. After some fine tuning with thermal material and adjustments I’m 100% solid.

Also, even in BFV at 5Ghz in my current state it still doesn’t even throttle.

The GTX1080 is another story. I need to use LM for sure. And paper clip mod. I will easily see a 20C reduction in temps.

We can easily run these components to there fullest. It just requires some work. I’m going the foam dam route with LM for my 1080 for sure either way though.

6. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For Bf5, up the graphics detail to shift the load onto the gpu or, do a -2 AVX offset, as it uses that instruction set which hammers the cpu.
    And I am relatively certain that 1T command rate does not work on these laptops.

Lastly, talking about the 8700k/8086k voltages, it all depends on the bin. On average the 8086k has a better vol/freq curve than the run of the mill 8700k. However, there are 8700k's on here that do 5.3Ghz all core due to superior volt/freq curve. Those chips can run at ridiculously low voltages for 5Ghz and below, effectively eclipsing the majority of 8086k's.

So it comes down to how well binned your 8086k is, as it's still a binned 8700k rated for 1-core 5Ghz boost.

tps3443 likes this.
  7. tps3443

Reputations:
    I’m running 1080P ultra everything with AA on BFV. My frame rates are pretty good at around 95-120 give or take. I may increase the in game resolution slider a little to push more GPU activity while still having some room to enjoy the high refresh rate, instead of the -2 AVX offset. For some reason when I apply the -2 AVX offset which I tried earlier today around lunch time it immediately set my CPU to 4.8Ghz all the time in any application?

I was considering delidding again but, I think my CPU’s delid is actually pretty good. I looked through HW info, and all 6 cores are within 2C of each other. Testing thermals with the CPU 100% stock speeds results in temps in the high 50’s at 4.3Ghz/4.3Ghz Cache.

but yea it is unbelievable how 5Ghz is daily doable on a laptop. These 8086K’s really do go far on very little voltage.

So I think a better thermal paste, and LM on GPU, with more heatsink pressure will help a lot.

8. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    -2 AVX should make it run 4,8Ghz for application using that instruction set.

If you do end up taking it apart for inspection, make sure to check how the contact between ihs and heatsink is. I always have the ihs on the heatsink and check if there are any gaps by shinning a light on the opposite side. This is where lapping can make a difference if you use LM for all the interfaces.

tps3443 likes this.
  9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For memory testing leave the keyboard off and use a usb one :p

tps3443 and jc_denton like this.
  10. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Or add a couple small pieces of tape to the kb for quick and easy access. This is one of my favorite mods.

bennyg likes this.