*** Official Sager NP9877 / Clevo P870TM-G Owner's Lounge! - Phoenix 4 ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad that it worked. You might want to tighten up the auto values up if you care about performance, or even push the frequency higher. As for stability, really depends on how stable you need it to be. You can run something like MemTest or memtest86.

Tyranus07 and Papusan like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Given the small benefits in performance I would tune towards stability ;)

bennyg likes this.
  3. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well I've been using the laptop the whole day and haven't had any BSOD or hangs. I haven't played though, just ran a few tests of Batman AK. I just don't want to have any BSOD I hate those. I guess as the service manual says the laptop supports 2667 MHz RAM that speed shouldn't be as hard to keep it 24/7. Do you see any real world difference going from 2667 MHz to 3000 MHz on RAM?

4. IllusiveMan

IllusiveMan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe it's the RAM instability at 3000MHz?
    I am running 2 dimms in p750dm2 with 8086k at 3000 (XMP) and no issues at all, even temps aren't getting high on RAMs.

edit: check the chips installed on dimms, if these really have correct timings set to whats in the memory spec sheets, if you can find specs for them..

5. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The short answer is it depends.

Longer answer, if you mostly use the laptop for gaming, I'd lookup some benchmarks for the games you play comparing 2667Mhz ram vs higher clocked ones. Some games will see greater benefits than others, and you can judge whether it would be worth it to spend time on pushing your ram further or not.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It's the highly threaded games that load all the cores that tend to benefit.

7. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow I watched a couple of videos on YT on Batman Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Origin @1080p and you get a solid 10 fps+ with 3000 MHz over 2133 MHz, that's a lot IMO. How far you think I can push my 2666 MHz modules for a 24/7 stable use????

bennyg likes this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It depends, my old 2666cl18 gskill modules from 11/2015 do 2800cl17 @ 1.3vdimm, but I hate ram OC and have never ever found a good flowchart for tweaking secondaries so there may be a limiter there

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Every kit can be so different, but the primary timings are the ones to focus on more.

10. jc_denton

jc_denton Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My approach to ram overclocking,

1. Set very lose primary timings, ie. 21-25-25 and AUTO or 0 for the rest.
    2. Find max frequency with reasonable voltage. ie. 1.35v
    3. Begin to tighten up primary timings one by one, ie. cl 19 to cl 18cl etc. then tRCD and tRP.
    4. Slowly bring down the secondary timings.
    5. Slowly improve tertiary timings.

I use Buildzoid's approach to quickly test all the ram up to 5% in MemTest, whilst tightening up the timings.
    Majority of the time, If the timings are too tight, your memory will begin puking errors before 5%.
    Then you proceed to either loosen up or tighten the timing further, testing it and redoing the previous step to find the lowest stable setting.

It's this rinse and repeat process until you have gone through all the timings you wanted to improve. Last step would be running MemTest to 400% or more for stability.