*Official Sager NP9380, NP9390 / Clevo P370SM, P370SM3, P375SM Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Diamondback Six

Diamondback Six Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK, guys, time for me to do the Annual Rebuild Roadmap update... Still having trouble swallowing the idea of $1000 each for CPU and two GPU's, but it is what it is. Bear in mind, I'm mostly building for maximum data capacity and preservation... most of my data-storage is in an off-board farm of external HDD's or backup to BD-RE, onboard being for files I'm working on or need quick access when I don't have time to plug in the full Data Warehouse. I'm kinda married to this thing because I don't see any dual-HDD, dual-GPU models in the catalog with optical drives anymore, and for various reasons like legacy software, and having movie capability when stuck with Luddite rels who refuse to join the 21st Century and barely joined the 20th where streaming is not an option, I still need optical capability.

CPU:
    • Current: i7-4700MQ
    • Best upgrade: i7-4930MX
    GPU's
    • Current: 2x GTX 765M
    • Best upgrade: Still 980M with modified heatsinks?(2x?) 1060M - Would SM-A heatsinks drop in with minimal cutting, or are they the same part?
    BIOS: Message Prema and wait

RAM: 4x8GB PC2133, now unavailable (I generally don't do enough gaming for memory timings to matter, so the PC1600 I'm running is not the bottleneck)

Power: Have 1x 660w brick and Y-adapter, second brick awaiting favorable cash flow (and thinking I should order a spare Y-cable when I order the replacement battery--I've been running the original since purchase, and its full charge runtime is down to 45 minutes)

mSATA
    • Current: 2x empty slot
    • Best upgrade: 2x 2TB Samsung T3, de-cased
    2.5" Drive Bays:
    • Current: 2x2TB Samsumg Spinpoint M9T
    • Best upgrade: 2x4TB Samsung 860 EVO (are these still Windows 7 compatible, or have we seen any new three-platter 2.5" drives I've missed?)
    Optical: LG BT30N BD-RE

Anything I've missed? Other than that for the price of maxing this thing out I could buy TWO fully loaded new systems...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    1060 of the standard MXM shape is the best GPU option.

3. Dendrit3

Dendrit3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,

Does anyone have the prema bios for the p370sm3? I recently replaced my motherboard and now stuck with stock bios. Need the prema bios as I will get a gtx 1070 soon. Thanks!

4. Diamondback Six

Reputations:
    Was the 1060 still the same footprint as the older models, or am I misremembering that it meant major mod in both Master and Slave?

5. t6nn_k

t6nn_k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heatsink needs a minor modding but 1060 has no SLI support so...

6. Diamondback Six

Reputations:
    Crap. Forgot about that, thanks. Is one 1060 better than two 980s?

7. t6nn_k

Reputations:
    No

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Depends on the game, a lot of modern titles don't support SLI and the 1060 is easier to cool and faster than a single 980M.

9. Dendrit3

Dendrit3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    what kind of minor modding is that? about to order a 1060 and would like to know beforehand ty

10. t6nn_k

Reputations:
    Adding a shim between a heatsink and a die or/and filing away some of the memory heatsink.
    To think about it, it might be needed for Eurocoms 1070.