*** Official Sager NP9175 / Clevo P775TM Owner's Lounge! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Oct 6, 2017.

1. hissy

hissy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ooof.
    Thanks for advice, but
    Thing in question is 9600k, not 8700k yet.

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you really want the lowest temps possible in a laptop try to find a good used 8086K instead. Id say it is worth it especially for a laptop. If you were running a desktop you could probably just run super high voltage and get high overclocks on any 8700K anyways.

I can run 4.3Ghz -0.200 undervolt with 52C load temps.

I am at 5.1Ghz all cores 4.8Ghz cache right now running 72-80C in Kingdom come deliverance.

Running this cpu default runs cooler than some desktops. Really unbelievable.

3. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is a number of things you need to
    confirm are good to go.

Heatsink contact cpu, heatsink
    contact gpu, thermal pads, fan speed, delidding cpu, perfectly flat IHS, smooth and mostly flat heatsink contact plates, paperclip mod, good quality stainless steel heatsink
    screws for proper wrenching lol.

These laptops need some work put in to them for ultimate cooling performance.

The factory cannot possibly do all
    of this to each unit. But the new owner of the machine should do it.

You would be amazed of what you can manage with this skimpy little laptop heatsink!

4. hissy

hissy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Now we're talking.
    What is paperclip mod? I've seen it mentioned multiple times, but couldnt find what it is.

I can clearly see a problem in this here unit: GPU cooling works just perfect, after reseating it GPU doesn't exceed 70c under full 115w load (i hope to unlock that limit someday).
    The plate and pipes on GPU are hot as they should be, and exhaust air is warm.
    CPU easily exceeds 80c all the time when loaded, and i don't even torture it with heavy games. Just launch time of some is enough.
    Plate and pipes of CPU side are barely warm at best, and exhaust is cool.

Heatsink contact on CPU looks fine. Heatsink itself is fine too. Can't check if CPU lid warms up though, for obvious reasons.
    I have an impression that cooling quality decreased a bit over a year of use. Messing with thermal stuff under radiator had no noticeable effect.

For now, I've derceased cpu fan speed a bit, as it almost doesn't make difference, and just run lowered clocks.
    For undervolt the best it can hold is ~ -115 -117 mv at 4,6-4,7 ghz, up to 125 if lower clocks. Nowhere close to 150 you all are talking about.
    4-4.2 ghz it still runs cool, but if i wanted low clocks i'd pick a BGA model...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You can delidd your 9600K and remove the Intel STIM (soldered thermal interface material) for Liquid metal. Can shave of 4-8C degrees.
    Simple and very effective cooling "mod" for p775dm2/p775dm3

6. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Or both methods to get the best temperatures without any die sanding.

Papusan likes this.
  7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The paperclip mod works especially good with liquid metal.

8. hissy

hissy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you. Huh, i've already did this "mod" by myself, with exactly zero results.
    Can it be that intels solder degraded or just is defective in this chip? or chip itself is utter loss in silicon lottery, as it only manages -115 UV?

9. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Actually, that's not quite true.

I tested it again just to be sure, this time without the CPU heatsink, since max fans kick eventually in and cool it. The CPU & VRM do get varm, as does the GPU.
    However, the system does the same song and dance whether there is a CPU installed or not.
    Max fans kick in about a minute and a half, orange LED begins to blink and system eventually powers itself off after 2½ mins. It's identical behavior that my 8086k had when it went to hw heaven.

So unless it's the GPU, since I tested both p7/p8 with the same 1080, I'm quite certain it's the CPU.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The Intels solder shouldn't degrade. And yeah, the silicon lottery still is there. You're sure the fits between IHS and heatsink is good enough? Checked the Intel bracket lottery? Some brackets is taller than the chips and the heatsink won't get proper contact with the Intel IHS. Checked the pads (proper thickness) so they don't stop the heatsink from get proper contact with the Cpu? Several reasons for mot the best temp.
    [​IMG]

Falkentyne likes this.