*** Official Sager NP9175 / Clevo P775TM Owner's Lounge! ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Oct 6, 2017.

1. hissy

hissy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello world, here's me again in search for advice.
    I have a problem with CPU cooling. It's unmodified 9600K, and it behaves as if it has bad thermal contact. It heats up fast, overheats too easily (at 90+ watts it exceeds 80-85c), and radiator plate and exhaust air is barely warm.
    But contact between radiator plate and IHS is... Normal. Maybe not perfect to atomic levels, but normal. And i never before used power hungry desktop CPU with the lid.
    So i want to ask, is it normal behaviour for these lidded CPUs or is it something wrong with mine?
    Thank you in advance

2. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds normal. You need to
    undervolt the CPU, and turn up the fans!

Undervolting is key for low temps. Try -0.150v and you will probably drop 20c off.

You can manage the heat of that 9600K pretty easily.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Does the system simply not POST at all?
    What happens if you put the 9900k in a desktop motherboard with a POST code readout?

4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    If the 9600k is clocking normally then that's normal.

5. Virusapex

Virusapex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok, long story short. Basically, my GPU died due to thermal issues and EC not behaving as it should (allowing the GPU to heat up to 90 degrees Celsius w/o fans). It still does this with the new one, but I'm going to control it through John's app. Maybe it is still possible to revive it, but I'm going to do that later. So, I guess the random crashes that I was getting were due to the GPU issues rather than me playing with the CPU undervolt (although I tried solving that issue, and still thought it was the CPU).

As per your question, I bought only the GPU, which was from Clevo as well, although, the clocks are a bit different, so is the power management. Maybe it is possible to have another vBIOS with higher clocks and allowed PL?

Well, I only moved the thermal pads from my previous card. The installation procedure is very easy. The same goes for the RTX, but you need to change the heatsink to the unified one (if you buy one).

6. jc_denton

jc_denton V̖̟en̰g̻̼̰̩͙ea̲n̪c̭e̼ ͍̘̤͓̟̤Is̙͔ ̤Mi̻̭̣͎͍ͅn̰ḙ

Reputations:
    Don't have a desktop board to test with brother. I dropped the CPU into my p775tm1-g chassis with the rest of the parts from the p870tm1. (gtx1080 and ram). I had the 9900k working in p7 chassis prior to the upgrade.

The CPU is simply not recognized, it instantly boots to a black screen then fans ramp up to max after 1min or so and orange LED blinks, then eventually it powers off.
    Usually after a complete cmos reset system will power on/power off quickly then proceed to train.
    (tested with both internal batteries taken out and cmos cleared by holding power button for 1min in both systems)

However, it simply powers on without power cycling, fans ramp to max This happens in both systems, I also tested with two different memory kits to the same result.
    We tried a lot of troubleshooting with Prema and Papusan, 1x8gb stick etc.
    The CPU heatsink also remains cold.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Papusan and Falkentyne like this.
  7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Usually when the heatsink is cold like that rigor mortus will set in soon after

Falkentyne likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The vrm being cold is a giveaway too.

Falkentyne likes this.
  9. hissy

hissy Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So you say, 85+c on cores with like barely 40c on cooling plate is normal? That is [censored]. My old bare die mobile CPU had it's radiator almost as hot as cores....
    Also thinking about replacing it with 8700k. If i delid that thing but without LM (don't want to mess with it yet) will it fare better?

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You should ALWAYS Delid a 8700k and replace the dow corning paste with liquid metal under the IHS!
    What you do NOT have to do is apply liquid metal on TOP of the IHS (between IHS and heatsink). Just apply Kryonaut, Phobya Nanogrease Extreme or Coolermaster Gel Maker Nano there.

Papusan and 1610ftw like this.