**Official Sager NP9175 / Clevo P775TM Owner's Lounge!**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Phoenix, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MLer

MLer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Deep learning. It doesn't require much out of the CPU when the GPU is running.

2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isn't it terrible at that? FP16 throughput on GP104 is 1/64 of FP32.

3. MLer

MLer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure about the details as I'm not an expert by any means, but the 1080Ti is generally the way to go when taking price into consideration, and of course the 1080 is the next best option.

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GP102 is the same super neutered 1:64 FP16 rate as GP104. So I'm assuming you're using FP32 otherwise you'd experience a massive slowdown if you switched to FP16. FP16 is completely useless on anything but GP100 since Nvidia gimped it on their non-compute cards, it's just there for compatibility. A Quadro GP100 or Tesla P100 would be much faster with its full rate 2:1 FP16.

5. Z3us_PL

Z3us_PL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've tested it (P775DM3 unified heatsink on P775TM). In games that do not make much use of CPU, unified heatsink does the job and GPU temps are cooler. But in any other situations (games are increasingly using many cores of CPU) with unified heatsink I had higher temps both on CPU and GPU, in my case e.g. Witcher 3 in towns, Rust, Hellblade. If someone do only CPU jobs in work or school, unified heatsink will help too, GPU side will help a bit to cool CPU.

In my case separate heatsink is doing better. If Someone would like to swap to unified heatsink I can sell it. New is about 65$ on ebay. Mine is also new :p (used once for testing) but I can sell for a lower price+shipping.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  6. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is a lot more easy to control temps, set clocks / undervolts, with independent coolers...
    Shared coolers will only have an advantage when you have high load on just one device, either CPU or GPU.
    For CPU only intensive tasks i would go with shared cooler.
    For GPU only intensive tasks i would go with shared cooler.
    For High Load on both GPU and CPU i would go with independent coolers. - Nowadays games would fit this description...

raz8020, Papusan and FTW_260 like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    The question is... Will Unified heatsink work ok with the less powerful 1070 + 8700K in high load on both. This for a user that use his machine for both Gaming and run lots of Cpu only tasks. With 1080 of course this will be another matter if Gaming is half the fun.

raz8020 likes this.
  8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is exactly my conundrum. I know I want to eventually run demanding games on a P870. But, in the lead up to that point, I may need to get a system that bridges where I am now. Cost-wise, P750 and P775 start converging with the P870. Would make no sense to spend that much on a machine that has to be performance-shackled because of thermals. Rather just jump straight to the juicy center.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. John@OBSIDIAN-PC

John@OBSIDIAN-PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yeap.
    I would say that 1060/1070 with unified works better. I'm actually spending a lot of time adding Unified Logic to my fan control so that it can balance loads when a unified cooler is present.

The 1080 and 8700K is the problem, it's already too close to the limit. The fact is that this combo with unified cooling was very hard to tune, getting the right UV and mandatory clock down for 100% Loads on both CPU and GPU. The independent coolers makes it a bit better to tune, you can tune the CPU without having to worry on how it will affect the GPU and vice versa.

For Single GPU the P7 is the way to go, I see no reason to go for the P8 unless you get your hands on the vapor chamber which is not included on single GPU P8.

Maybe in the future Clevo starts adopting Vapor like solutions on P7 level systems... Now that would be a killer.

Sent from my MI Note 2 using Tapatalk

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Thanks.
    From what I have seen the bigger P870 Cpu heatsink will do a better job cooling an nice oc’d Coffee lake chips. I talk about single heatsink setup.

raz8020 likes this.