**OFFICIAL Sager NP8760 / Clevo W870CU Owners Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Larry@LPC-Digital, Oct 8, 2009.

1. turbocycle

turbocycle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I've had my NP8760 for a couple of weeks now and while I am enjoying the machine so far, there are a few things that I'd like to comment on (yes, many/all have been posted before, or are minor nits):

1) BIOS setup is missing some features:
    a) Bluetooth can't be enabled by default AFAIK.
    b) SATA mode can't be switched to legacy IDE mode
    c) Can't use the fingerprint scanner to enter the BIOS startup password.

2) Audio is REALLY lacking
    This notebook claims to contain a subwoofer -- if it does, I'd hate to hear what it sounds like without it! My Dell BUSINESS notebook has MUCH better sound than this thing. I shouldn't need external cards, speakers, or headsets to get decent audio on a gaming notebook, especially one as large as this. What's needed here? Driver update? Better speakers?

3) No dedicated audio volume/mute control (I don't consider a FN key combination as "dedicated"). Can the 3 touch buttons be remapped for this?

4) No webcam LED -- how do I know if it's enabled or not?

5) A slightly larger battery would have been nice. Clarksfield can do a decent job of power-saving, but it can't work miracles. (I realize this isn't the kind of box you'd want to run untethered for long, so I can sort of understand the trade-off here).

I realize this is a whitebox notebook so perhaps it's a bit unfair of me to expect the type of fit and finish one might find on a consumer retail product.

Some positives:

1) Ability to configure high-end parts in the machine. I have the Extreme CPU, BluRay burner, and nice SSD in my machine. It's very fast!

2) Nice selection of ports - they even included an RJ11 56k modem port for completeness. Who could live without THAT in their Gig-E, 802.11N, desktop-replacement box? :rolleyes:

3) The notebook runs cool and quiet considering what's under the hood.

4) No Bloatware.

Finally - props to the resellers! My experience with XoticPC was very pleasant and smooth. Thanks guys!

2. jabbermacy

jabbermacy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. imudkip

imudkip Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I believe it's manga. haha

4. The_Moo™

The_Moo™ Here we go again.....

Reputations:
    Fingerprint scanner should never work for bios security and never will ...as Long as engieneers have common sense

5. BrandonSi

BrandonSi Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    Not to mention, you'd need drivers and image processing software at the bios level.. It's just nonsensical.

There isn't a single laptop or desktop that accepts fingerprints as a bios password on the market right now. I'm always interested to see in what people don't like about the laptop, but that's a new one.

6. BrandonSi

BrandonSi Notebook Savant

Reputations:
    I feel sad for you that you know the difference. ;)

7. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I feel sad that you didn't get the movie reference I was trying to make. It just happens to be very similar to that random manga image I found.

8. turbocycle

turbocycle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Many laptops currrently on the market support preboot authentication, such as the Dell E6500. True, this may not be implemented entirely at the BIOS level, but the point is that preboot authenication allows for biometric access to the BIOS setup menu or to boot the operating system. AFAIK, the NP8760 doesn't support preboot authentication with the included Protector Suite software.

9. danielsaam

danielsaam Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. Larry@LPC-Digital

Larry@LPC-Digital Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's the sound card I use in mine, awesome indeed! It works well with the link...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829999011

BTW, this is a great deal! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015