*** OFFICIAL Sager NP8760 / Clevo W870CU Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Larry@LPC-Digital, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Another issue is that many battery circuits are designed to permanently kill themselves if the cells are no longer connected.

2. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    With GTA V approaching, thought 'wth, let's find out what a +5 year old system can accomplish'. Prices for components should've gone down quite a lot, so it'd be a fairly cheap upgrade (though not quite the D800's range yet, of course :D ).

Proceeded to order the cheapest 7970M which, certainly enough, turned out to be a used Dell (= ex-Alienware). Did research and prepared for a blind flash; read the helpful guide :thumbsup:, got ATIFlash, VBE7 for voltage editing and sourced 11 different vbioses. Next were modded drivers and ultimate disappointment due to an incompatible EC (as reported here, here, here and here) ... aaaand ... this was all for naught.

Merely modded heatsink, booted without the usb (just to see what would happen) and presto; flawless victory :).

Iaolh2.png

So ... no blind flash required (its v22 is an Enduro bios though :confused:), benchmarks pass, temperatures report as expected and HMDI out works too. A W870CU's not a HM series, of course, but it's similarly a non-iGPU/non-Enduro system. So would have guessed that the same rules applied ... apparently not.

Some background on this specific Dell 7970M; the die was not marked "ENG" or "ES". The card itself has pcb-painted "v1.0" and "109-C42957-00B", as well as stock UEFI bios version "015.022.000.001.000000". The vbios's bit-identical to the one on MXM-Upgrade's report, added heatpads to the ICs on the back of the card. This bridges them thermally to the flimsy aluminium bracket thingy; may not be much, but it does help:

8SqUoZ.jpg

4.) Modding the heatsink; cut away the thin, upper part that's badly soldered to the main heatsink. This left a lot of ICs exposed, some of which certainly required cooling. Had some sinks left that were too tall and don't have a dremel, so used bolt cutter and an angle grinder instead (ahem) :eek: :

vGj1dT.jpg

Same type as these (before the 1200W power tool, obviously):

mst-780i.gif

Anyway, hope this of some use; the ubiquitous Dells are a good $150 cheaper than the Clevo variety. Don't have much optimism for GTA V, of course, but who knows ... maybe a little oc combined with an overcharged fan would do wonders, still have 15℃ to spare (it's on 900MHz and -50mV currently).

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  3. yoshey791

yoshey791 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    good work :thumbsup: i thought this would work i seen another user that used a dell card in a w870cu a fuw years ago when the 7970m came out....
    here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/sag...0cu-hd-7970m-7950m-upgrade-am-i-crazy-10.html
    you can tell he has used a dell as i think the clevo 7970m do not have AMD in written on the side like the dell cards do... correct me if im wrong tho....
    ( just checked and its a clevo W860CU but its basicle the same as the w870cu and w880cu. )
    how are your temps?

4. t456

Reputations:
    Mine has "AMD" too, unfortunately the well of Clevo 7970M's seems to have dried out, so it's bit hard to make a definite comparison. Although it's been claimed that one of the differences is in these four capacitors located between two rows of tall inductors:

XCLKMi.jpg cLfJlq.png And another Clevo.

There are too many of these reports to dismiss them as a one-off garden shed job by an incompetent. But if these are truly Clevo's then they've never made 7970M's! If they had the labels and wiring on the pcb would've been their own design, but they're all bit-by-bit identical. So what they've done is buy up Dell lots and replaced Dell's lower profile capacitors with taller ones to make them match the heatsinks on the Clevo systems. As you may notice on my modding job; I've had to make three separate IC heatsinks because of this difference in height.

Still, that is one godawful soldering job they've done, a neanderthaler would've fared better ... I would have fared better :D ! Replaced a vbios chip the other day, and they're a lot smaller than this lot.

82℃ peak during 3DMark's Fire Strike.

That was after the undervolt and overclock, so there's some leeway left. Ordered a 920xm and got a SATA > dual mSATA adapter, am going to ditch the RAID1 data (work related) to the W230SS and do a rebuild of the W870CU and push it to its limit (GTA will need that, sadly). Also ordered two different fans; one a Maglev Sunon 5V/0.5A (=2.5W) and one a quite dubious no-brand, but it's rated 5V/0.55A. The current one's 2.5W, like the Sunon, only cheaper.

5. yoshey791

yoshey791 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

6. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Just be careful with those VRMs, i'd advise running that setup on a pad to help get some active cooling on them. Ideally you want a heatpipe over them.

7. t456

Reputations:
    You're right, hadn't considered that; they're probably the weakest link on a further oc. Fortunately the 5870M has its eight vrams in the same location as the 7970M and my system came with the 3-heatpipe instead of the older 2-heatpipe model. So that's one 4-row taken care of, and 2 vrams are in line with the main/gpu's. That leaves two. Will add extra heatsinks on top of these for an additional buffer:

DvBvUQ.jpg

Ah! Didn't understand the overly complex mod at first, but of course; damn heatpipe's in the way! Nice once :) , just needed that 100% force to have made it work. And a potentiometer mod would've given back control; dial to 100% only when gaming ...

Is that the one with an extended 3rd heatpipe going in a curve towards the end? Can see why they've done that; it covers one more vram.

Yes, took that road at first, but the heatsink's actually two different parts soldered together; one's the main body and the second has the raised 'bumps'. But this last one's much thinner and upon cutting away part of it some sections came loose from the main heatsink. This was due to incomplete soldering. You can still see its remnant, as well as the small round pins that 'clicked' both parts together. So if the connection between them's not good, then neither is their heat transfer. And, being so thin, they were never proper 'sinks' to begin with either; too little mass. Used very thick, heavy sinks to compensate, this also offloads part of the workload of the main body; temps are actually lower than the 5870M (don't use raiser or separate laptop fans).

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    I do mean the voltage regulators you have the individual heatsinks on. They do run hotter than the core after all.

9. turbocycle

turbocycle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Question for anyone still using this laptop; Is there a way to keep the bluetooth radio enabled after a reboot? (I'm using the Intel 5300 WiFi/BT card). I am using a bluetooth Keyboard/mouse and have to manually enable the bluetooth radio (Fn F12) after every reboot.

I tried using the autohotkey program to define a macro to enable the keypress, but the Fn F12 isn't recognized, so I am unable to define a macro.

10. t456

Reputations:
    Perhaps disabling suspend/sleep mode in 'Power Options' will help. Sorry, typing from a W870CU, but can't check this for you; my wifi card's non-BT. If it doesn't show up in advanced settings then it may be a hidden option; unlock using registry.

Second possibility is 'Device manager' > 'Intel 5300' > 'Properties' > 'Advanced'. With any luck one of those settings will do what you intend to accomplish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.