*** Official Sager NP8378f2(Clevo PB71DF2-G) ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Lzealot, May 15, 2020.

1. Lzealot

Lzealot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all, I figured I'd setup an official forum for this new 10th Gen refresh.
    Here's some default specs for the machine.
    • 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10875H Processor
    • 17.3" Thin Bezel Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle, 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
    • 16GB DDR4 at 2933MHz
    • 500GB HP EX900 M.2 NVMe SSD
    • Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201+ Bluetooth
    • Thunderbolt 3 connectivity
    • N-Key Rollover RGB Per Key color illuminated keyboard
    • Built-in Area Fingerprint Reader under Glass Surface
    • Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Edition
    I have one with the following specs as ordered. Any benchmarks posted will be off this setup.

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10875H Processor ( 8 Cores, 16MB Smart Cache, 2.3GHz )
    - 17.3" Full HD 144Hz, Wide View Angle 72% NTSC Matte Display with G-SYNC Technology (1920 x 1080)
    - 30 days No Dead Pixel Guarantee
    - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU with 8GB GDDR6 Video Memory
    - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$45.00]
    - Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled
    - Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media [+$25.00]
    - 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 SDRAM at 3200MHz - 2 X 16GB
    - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [+$145.00]
    - Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 M.2 AX Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Module

I'll post up a few pictures. I will be comparing it to my old W230SS 13.3" since that's what I upgraded from. New one is the one on the left obviously ;) IMG_20200515_145918631.gif

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. Lzealot

Reputations:
    Internals.jpg Here's a picture with the back cover off. I have to admit that it's much more of a pain to get the cover off compared to the W230SS. You'll need to take out all the back screws. Then flip over the laptop and pop off the keyboard to take out another screw underneath. After that you'll need to carefully pry the cover around the edges with a plastic pry. I'd hesitate to use anything metal. Be careful around the intakes and exhaust. While the laptop has a sturdy build you can tell that the plastic is a hard brittle type. If you apply too much pressure you'll snap it easy.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    alaskajoel and Meaker@Sager like this.
  3. Lzealot

Reputations:
    A few quick notes.

This laptop came from Sager and is able to be undervolted at this time. I ran with a -70 undervolt just to get started and to see if it was possible. So far it's running well. All benchmarks will be with this undervolt applied.

I ran 3DMARK TIMESPY

Balanced Mode 8298
    CPU TEMP 79
    GPU TEMP 74

Performance Mode 8561
    CPU TEMP 80
    GPU TEMP 76

Nvidia GeForce 2070 Super Maxed out at 118Watts

CineBench R15

Balanced Mode CPU 1407cb
    Balanced Mode OPENGL 133.09
    Performance Mode CPU 1503cb
    Performance Mode OPENGL 130.42

CineBench R20

Balanced Mode 3036 pts
    Performance Mode 3218 pts

CPU is power limited in Balanced Mode Max Boost Clock was 3.15Ghz
    CPU was not power limited in Performance Mode. Max Boost Clock was 4.73Ghz

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  4. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Tip for you.
    Use a guitar pick as the prying tool to remove back cover....won't scratch and not strong enough to break things.

Lzealot likes this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The Ifixit kit includes those picks and is very handy for this sort of thing :)

Lzealot likes this.
  6. Lzealot

Reputations:
    I have a set that I use. It was just an observation that if you try and cheat w a small flat screwdriver you'll Mar the plastic easy. It's a stronger but more brittle plastic compared to my older sager.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The plastic has always marked IMO even back to the p150em.

8. Lzealot

Reputations:
    The older Clevo's like the D900T or D900F were of the same plastic like this one. They had a reinforced square frame though. They always had nice panel covers to get to the components that you could upgrade. My W230ss also has a nice panel to remove to get to the components. After years of easy access to getting the internals this one was definitely more of a pain. You really have to want to get to the bottom. I have a 1TB SSD on order that I'm not looking forward to installing lol. I probably should of just ordered it to avoid the hassle, but I thought my older spare would fit. Turns out it's msata and not pciex4.

With that being said I don't miss the weight. The 230W power brick is just slightly larger and heaver than the older 120W power brick for my w230ss. The W230ss and this 17" have exactly the same height dimensions and almost has almost the same looks, but the panel was much easier to remove on the w230ss.to get to the drives and memory etc.... IMG_20200515_141806119.jpg

9. Lzealot

Reputations:
    Tonight I was able to take some time to play around with undervolting. It is definitely unlocked at this time for the 10th Gen CPU. . I'm currently running at -100 millivolt.

There seems to be a performance hit when you undervolt due to the chip behavior. You can get lower thermals, but since the chip current throttles above 70C and the chip will run above 70C even with the undervolt you will lose some performance.

With the 115W gpu in this thing I"m not sure if there's any benefit in fan noise when gaming. It is much quieter on fans when surfing though. Before I had to put the machine in quiet mode to get the fans to spool down.

10. Comprodigy

Comprodigy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does the second NVME slot on that support a full length NVME drive? It looks like it only supports two shorter ones.