*** Official Sager NP8170/Clevo P170HM Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Riddhy916, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    They require a bit more work if I recall. Probably need to run Prema's BIOS Mod and if your GPU is dead probably need to blind flash it.

2. m2bgunjack

m2bgunjack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks again for your advice but...
    I revived my hd7970m in the oven at 180 degrees celcius for about 5min (youtube), and it surprisingly works again!!!!!
    At least I know for sure it's GPU related problem with no doubt, so will still look for an upgrade soon, what do you recommend?

3. SyntheticFunk

SyntheticFunk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm currently going through this myself. I have a 6990m that I have baked about 7 times but I finally have to replace it.

From what I've read, a 780m will not work in the np8170/p170HM.

For the Sager NP8170/Clevo P170HM, This is what I understand your replacement options to be:

1. AMD Radeon 6000 series ( I believe these are plug and play with new driver download)(Recommended against using these due to the heat issues and the BGAs)

2. GTX 500 series (These should all be plug and play with new driver download)

3. GTX 600 series (These should be plug and play with new driver download and modified .inf file)

4. GTX 680 (Requires some modification, search the forum for how to get this to work)

5. AMD Radeon 7970 board version 1.2 (version 1.0, and 1.1 will not work) (search the forum for how to get this to work)

Hope this helps!

4. amenda

amenda Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for this list. Do you know if these will also work on the p170hm3 (3d version)?

my old 560m burnt out and Im looking to replace it. Having a hard time finding a 560m or 580m for clevo (which I know will work). Will a 660m or 670mx work? Have found some of those for clevo.

Thanks for anyone who can help me.

EDIT: Found a 675m for sale, wondering if it will work. Have moved my question to this specific thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/p170hm-nvidia-675m-compatibility.715307/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    For anyone else who stumbles across this no an AMD card does not work in the 120hz model.

6. digitalconfetti

digitalconfetti Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all! I have one of these old faithful Sager np8170 and I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card. My 560m has finally met it's match with The Witcher 3 and I want to upgrade it. I've done it looks like a lot have people have been in the same boat. Can someone confirm that the 7xx series and up don't work on the Sager np8170? A saw one poster mention the 780m would work and another that 7xx series doesn't work. If the strongest card I can upgrade to is a 680m, I'll probably build a more powerful desktop instead.

My specs:
    Sager NP8170(Clevo P170HM3)
    17.3" 120hz 3D LED 1920x1080
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHZ
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M 1.5GB GDDR5
    16GB dual channel DDR3 1333MHZ
    500GB HDD some company
    CD/DVD Drive some company and specs
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit
    Wireless something

7. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    As of now HMs can only be upgraded up to GTX680M...
    I was working on GTX980M support on my P170HM3 when my motherboard developed an unrelated problem...had it already in Windows and driver installed...
    First thing I'll do when I find time will be to repair the board, if possible...but don't hold your breath.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  8. digitalconfetti

digitalconfetti Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Perma! Damn, I guess I should probably just build a new PC. The 680m is probably on it's way out just like my 560m. Still, I'd really hate to retire this laptop. It's still got a lot of power and was on the pricey side. Cards are 300-500 buck :-/ Might have to build a desktop.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The issue as a machine gets a lot older you may run into other issues, it has had a good run at least.

10. digitalconfetti

digitalconfetti Newbie

Reputations:
    Yah, it's had an incredible run! I've tried to take good care of it and in turn, it's taken good care of me. What sort of issues are you referring to Meaker? Can you elaborate a little? Should I skip upgrading?

I debated for a while whether I should build a new desktop or upgrade my GPU. I think I'd rather get a another GPU. I don't think it's the right time (for me at least) to upgrade to a proper gaming rig. Next year with new cards and new games! I'm looking at the 7970m and I'm also really impressed by it's performance. It's running The Witcher 3 1080p on high. Dying Light 1080p on max. Shadows of Mordor 1080p on high. These "next gen" games my 560m can barely handle on low in 720p are very playable framerates with the 7970m. Wow!

Here's what I've discovered so far. Yes, I think I can upgrade to the 7970m! I need to find a Clevo compatible HD 7970m version 1.2 card. But I need to upgrade my bios before I'm able to use the 7970m? Am I correct? I had a back and forth exchange with XoticPC and they said I couldn't upgrade to the 600m series. I wrote to them about wanting to upgrade to the 7970m if possible. Through a google search, I found a petition titled "Add BIOS Support for newer GPU cards in HM model series." And they eventually did release a new bios that allows an upgrade to the 7970m? Thank you for fighting for this guys!

I'm about to email that techsupport email @ XoticPC to see if they can help. Anyway, I'd really like to upgrade to a 7970m if possible. So I can I upgrade to a 7970m? I don't mind losing the 3D in my 120Hz screen. The screen and games and everything will still work normally right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.