*** Official Sager NP8170/Clevo P170HM Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Riddhy916, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    It is a bit pre-mature to be able to answer questions about build quality, screen quality, heat and the like because no one has one yet.

We are only taking Pre-orders at this time. Sager expects to begin shipping with all video cards around the end of January.

I am curious though, if you are going to get an SSD as your primary boot drive, what do you see as the advantage to getting a Hybrid drive for your storage drive?

By the beginning of next year not only will the prices have dropped some, but both the CPU and GPU will have been replaced by newer technology.

If you can actually tell the difference in every day real world use between different "quality" memory you would be unique. Be careful of the marketing boys out there :) Don't be tempted to fall into their testosterone trap.

2. ocean-ripple

ocean-ripple Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply Paladin...

Was under the (false) impression people already had the laptop as I saw 3Dmark results posted earlier, but guess that was manufacturer benchmarks rather than user run tests.

On the subject of a Hybrid drive, does it not improve load times compared to a regular 7200rpm HDD when accessing or launching programs/files stored on it... and I take it CAS latency isn't as big a deal as I've assumed?

Have pretty much set my sights on this laptop now, just a case of waiting for a review or first hand impressions before being completely be sold on it at this point. :D

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you have your OS and software applications on your primary SSD then you would tend to use your 2nd HDD for storage only, thereby negating any real value of the Hybrid drive there.

Latency is something nice to talk about, but I'll bet I could hand two computers each to 100 people and few if any could tell me, after using them for a week, which one had the lower latency memory.

4. I Never Relax

I Never Relax Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hot damn! What a deal. Well, I've got ~ 20 days to return my AW with no restocking fee, lemme know if any of these new ones are worth it.

5. adwilk1231

adwilk1231 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can anyone confirm whether I would be able to upgrade the 460m to a 485m myself if I wanted to?

6. chiapet874

chiapet874 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just pre-ordered this! Only concern I have is whether the cooling will be as effective as the NP8690

7. Larry@LPC-Digital

Larry@LPC-Digital Company Representative

Reputations:
    This is true. This model can be upgraded by the user to any video card compatible now and in the future...:)

8. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    That's a completely different model though.

I'm done with 15" machines, permanently.

I'm going to wait and see on what happens with the ES scene. I configured a nice barebones kit at $1647, w/o the CPU. If the 2720QM and 2820QM engineering samples come out around $300 to $500, I can save up to $400 over the retail model. If the ES don't come out, I'll just go with a reseller prebuilt, 2630QM + 485M, and will wait for the 2x40QM to appear later.

It's win/win, really.

9. miauru

miauru Newbie

Reputations:
    Some questions:
    1. Intel Wireless Display (WiDi) is supported?
    2. Second hard drive cuddy is always included? If not how much is it? (planning to add a second hdd later)
    3. Could be GPU switched dynamically (on a fly without reboot or bios setting change) between nVidia and built-in Intel?

10. Kinetik.Kid

Kinetik.Kid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't mean to be a pest, but do you guys know which laptop would be best for future upgrades between the x7200 and 8170?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.