*** Official Sager NP8170/Clevo P170HM Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Riddhy916, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    When new GPUs are released for the P170HM, you can upgrade regardless of what GPU/CPU are already in it.

I think I'm gonna go 2630QM + GTX 485M once I get my funds together. Though I am tempted to take the 460M and then waiting for 6900M benches.

2. Peezy

Peezy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thats good to know then! I did the same but if you have the money then go for it! But some things that I thought about were maybe issues that might happen with the card as it is new and Id like to know any issues or comparions before getting it.

3. 5150Joker

5150Joker Tech|Inferno

Reputations:

Forget the 6900M. nVidia's got a lot going for it and their "meant to be played" program does pay off with better game compatibility. That combo you have in mind is perfect.

4. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well i really thought the price will be better lets just hope this chassis will support the upgrade of 28nm gpus and 22nm cpus 1 yr later but who knows maybe intel s ivy bridge will require a new mobo like the penryn and merom parts during core 2 era

and like i7 940xm gets beaten by 2630qm definately i7 2820qm or upcoming 2840qm will be beaten by entry level quad core mobile procs of the ivy bridge

i am in dilemma about 2630qm vs 2720qm vs 2820qm please help me

there isnt much difference between 2720qm and 2820qm only 2mb of l3 cache will it really make much of a difference?

the reason i am interested in 2820qm because i saw its review in the anandtech site and i was blown away by its power. it beats i7 920 desktop. I myself currently now running a phenom IIx4 945 quad core and its also very good for multitasking and gaming.

so which one you guys choose for 2720qm vs 2820qm? for the 2mb l3 cache impact?

for 2630qm vs 2720qm i think there is slight noticable difference in terms of turbo boost and stock clocks so it will make a difference right?

also 2630qm price is USD 346 though its OEM and 2720qm is USD 378 so why is sager charging +150 for the upgrade????

Babyhemi Whats the price for Clevo P170HM barebone with gtx 460m and Gtx 470m? I hope for gtx 460m within USD 950 please pm me their prices.

5. elingeniero

elingeniero Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't think so, because the transition from SB to IB is not as big as the transition from Nehalem to SB.

I'm in the same boat mate, don't know what to choose. RAM confused me a bit but I'm now convinced that I have no use for anything more than 8GB.

6. Marvin H Muckley III

Marvin H Muckley III Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even though it is a Sunday, are most of you re-sellers working today with the new launch?

7. MALIBAL

MALIBAL Company Representative

Reputations:
    Some are - you just have to call around and find out. :)

8. Riddhy916

Riddhy916 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    P151HM1 is very good for the price heck it even gives 8gb ram but price of p170hm is about 100 usd high i really want a 17 to 18.4 inch chassis

if i cant get a good cut on the p170hm barebone i guess i will take a qosmio with 460m+2630qm within usd 1400

does any one of you guys know whether the qosmio gtx 460m is ocable ? and can the processor be upgraded?

does a 2630qm perform like a desktop i5 760?

9. ocean-ripple

ocean-ripple Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Was planning on getting a Asus G73 but been looking at this now and have to say I'm very tempted... hoping to have a few questions answered by those in the know before completely deciding however.

First of all, I'm planning to go with the 2630QM and GTX460M for now and then hopefully upgrade at the end of the year or beginning of next to possibly a better CPU and most definitely a faster GPU (GTX485M). Figure 8GB Ram seems to be enough for my needs, and planning on buying it with a 120GB SDD and 500GB Hybrid and a Blu-Ray drive.

Anyways, my questions:

1 - The case, hows the build quality and how cool/hot does it run during extended use and under stress?

2 - Screen quality, how are blacks, colour representation, brightness and overall performance of the case screen.

3- Upgrading CPU/GPU, how much more difficult will this be for this laptop compared to upgrading a CPU/GPU in a desktop tower?

4 - Is it reasonable to expect the price of the 2820QM and the GTX485M to drop by the start of next year..?

5 - Ram, what sort of memory do manufacturers/dealers normally include in notebooks, is it worth going with the minimum amount and then swapping it for some higher quality memory myself?

Thanks for any & all help, sorry for any ignorant question... mostly used to desktops and this will be a nice replacement for my ageing machine.

10. anexanhume

anexanhume Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think what he was asking was if the new GPUs would necessarily function with 8170. Provided clevo supports 6900m and future nvidia GPUs, you just need to get the appropriate heatsink with the gpu (which you get automatically from a sager reseller) and bios update.

Now, to the question of IF these GPUs will be supported, it seems likely all GPUs for next calendar year should be supported given a new chassis won't hit until next year when Ivy Bridge comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.