*** Official Sager NP8150/Clevo P150HM Owners Lounge ***

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Daniel Hahn, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So my brother's P150HM (formerly mine) finally looks like the 580M's on the way out. I haven't had hands on it yet but he's fixed a no boot scenario by swapping RAM around but it remains with constant visual artifacting even during POST, and crashing with BSOD loading Win7 saying a nvidia driver component is responsible. It looks like it operates normally in safe mode (he was able to pull data to storage) but still with the constant artifacts

There's a tiny chance it's just a cable or the gpu has been dislodged but I think that's highly unlikely since it's been bsodding after very long (8+hr) runtime with a beep code for many months, which did not change when I cleaned it out a couple months ago, although fresh paste and de-furring the radiators did fix the 90C temps

Can I find a cheap replacement is the question, he's happy with the power and doesn't have any budget for a new one ... he could have the spare P370EM's 7970M but that's already been repaired (sloppily) and I don't want to go through all that and just have it fail on him again.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your best bet for ease of install is to try and find a like for like.

3. Support.2@XOTIC PC

Support.2@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If you can replace with the same part that's always best, though I don't think many will working 580Ms are out there. Looks like a VRAM problem from the shots.

4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well I basically did that - found a guy parting his P370EM so grabbed the pair of 670Ms

Should just drop straight in right? Given they're identical to the 580M except for 2 missing ram chips and of course the name-number-inflation......

5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    in theory yes, as long as the vbios plays along with your machine :)

6. jcrouch001

jcrouch001 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, relatively inexperienced user here with a question about drivers.

I have a P150HM with the 580m in it. I was having issues with Civ 6 crashing whenever I tried to load the game and i suspected that it might be my video card drivers. If I tried to download any of the drivers from the nvidia site directly (this for instance), I would get bsod during the install and have to go into safe mode and roll back the drivers.

I found that there are drivers on the clevo website and downloaded those (64-bit)

Now, i accidentally downloaded and installed the 560m drivers. And everything appears to be working fine. Is there a problem with also?

When I realized I had the wrong model, I tried to download the 580m drivers instead, but the download file appears to be corrupt.

Are these really the most up to date drivers to be using with the 580m? Unless I am mistaken, it sees like they are from 2011.

Any advice?

7. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    hm this is strange, that shouldnt happen. there are no gpu specific drivers, basically u just need the correct drivers for your OS and gpu series (500M), but not the specific gpu per se.
    im hoping this is not an early sign of your gpu failing on you. have you serviced your laptop lately? applied fresh thermal paste, clean out the dust from the fan blades and heatsink fins?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

8. jcrouch001

jcrouch001 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have cleaned things out recently yes. I had this same problem ~1 year ago when I tried to update drivers with nvidia geforce experience or whatever it was called. If its a sign of the card failing, then I guess somehow it has lasted all this year.

I am just confused by what I am even supposed to be using. Are the drivers from the sager/clevo site up to date? They certainly don't look like it to me. Am I doing something incorrectly?

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ok thats a good sign then. for proper driver install, i recommend running the latest DDU (display driver uninstaller) first, removing every last bit of old driver code on your machine before doing a fresh driver install. for the driver itself, check the nvidia website for the latest version.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.