1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

**Official Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HNQ Owners' Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. fatboyslim

fatboyslim Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh that sucks. I just ordered a Sager NP5160 a week ago. So this is going to be delayed further? I thought it only affected the P67 chipset?

2. mythlogic

mythlogic Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nope, its all 6 Series chipsets.

3. tim.sloane

tim.sloane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It might only be the P67 according to engadget: Intel finds Sandy Bridge chipset design flaw, shipments stopped and recalls beginning -- Engadget

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what intel finally decides to recall...

4. mythlogic

Reputations:
  5. tim.sloane

tim.sloane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK, your rep should know more than a CSR :yes: Thanks for the details.

6. Bhima

Bhima Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Roastedpork

All of these: CNET's best IPS and PVA monitors - CNET Reviews
    This one: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4070/dell-u3011-review-dells-new-30-inch-flagship
    also, this one: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/sx2762w/index.html
    and the Apple 30" Cinema display: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...ILKWM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_2?ie=UTF8&index=2

In fact, go to this link and check all the IPS panels:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Pretty much every large format IPS panel except for the 24" and 27" iMacs are matte finish. The 20.5" IPS dell monitor that I am typing this post on is also matte. So yeah, the majority of the best desktop screens made have matte finishes.

7. ludditus

ludditus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Perhaps this question has been answered, if you order the 51XX or 81XX with an optical drive, does is still come with the swappable HDD caddy? Or does that need to be ordered separately? I have that on my Sager 5320 and would hope to get it on a new laptop so I can run SSD/HDD combo.

8. browncoat

browncoat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you mean order it with the optical drive and no second HDD for the optical bay? That's what I did, and I had to email them (XoticPC) and add a caddy onto the order. IIRC it cost $40 + shipping.

9. paladin44

paladin44 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ordering the HDD caddy for the ODD Bay is an option for Sager models now, you will see it on the Customizer.

If you just want a caddy, you would have to buy that separately, but Sager does not offer it as a stand alone item. You would have to find another supplier for it...Google is your best friend for that. But, beware of the cheap ones...spend a few more dollars and get a good one...(hint...www.newmodeus.com)

10. ludditus

ludditus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks, I saw the option for "no Optical drive" but I guess what I am looking for is an optical drive plus a caddy. Sounds like that should be a possibility, though.

Any guesses whether a caddy for NP5320 (which I already have) would fit the 5160? I think that one was a SATA connection.

This looks like the exact laptop for me as I definitely wanted switchable graphics. Now I guess I just have to wait for Intel to fix their debacle.

11. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    As long as it is SATA, and 12.7mm in height, they should work fine.

12. thewhum

thewhum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    First post here, trying to look for a midrange gaming laptop. Does anyone know how the Sandy Bridge recall will affect the 5160? Will the release be delayed or will the resellers still send out laptops with the old chipset?

13. moonshadow101

moonshadow101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone know if the February 20ish processor release will affect the graphics on this? I know it will be a tiny bump if anything, but I'm going to order an NP51** at some point in the next month or so, and I'd like to know if the 540m is going to become a 540.5m or something in two weeks.

If I recall correctly, the recall is only for the chipsets used in desktop motherboards, so the laptops should be entirely unaffected.

14. hispeed4567

hispeed4567 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There won't be a new GPU refresh for a few months. Earliest would be summer and even that is a stretch. 540m = 540m in Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June, who knows how much longer.

15. kakapo

kakapo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No, all 6 series chipsets are affected - laptop and desktop. Check back in this thread the 8310 owner's thread and a couple in the Sager and Clevo area (one is a Sticky and the other is a long one about the Sandy Bridge issue).

16. mythlogic

Reputations:
    Yea the dual-core i5/i7 sandy bridge processor release has been pushed to go along with the relaunching of the 6series chipsets. So we are waiting on a new date for that. There won't be a GPU bump on that platform in the near future.

17. sea_of_fate

sea_of_fate Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  18. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    No, every laptop with SB is affected by the issue.

Sad..

19. Espada

Espada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    anyone know if this laptop will be cheaper with the i5 instead of the i7?

20. mythlogic

Reputations:
    Yes yes it will, as the best dual-core is forcasted to be a bit cheaper than the 2630qm so yes yes it will be :)