1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

**Official Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HNQ Owners' Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. dasimpsonsrule

dasimpsonsrule Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone tell me shipping dimensions and weight of this laptop?

2. mastahowie

mastahowie Newbie

Reputations:
    any news on when the OCZ Vertex 3's are gunna be available, and if it will be available on this machine?
    i keep hearing different estimates, from end of march to as late as may. seems like it's supposed to be faster and cheaper than the intel 510. and since the release of the np5160 is backed up anyways, it just might be worth the wait.

3. tim.sloane

tim.sloane Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know, right? My Inspiron 9400 has been dead for over 2 months now. My only option over the past 2 months has been to use an old 2.8 GHz P4 with a GeForce4 Ti graphics card on a 720p HDTV. And I don't have a comfy way to use a mouse with the set-up either. I sure hope we hear some news about actual shipments next week!

4. mythlogic

mythlogic Company Representative

Reputations:
    Out of the box (before extra packaging) 19 x 14 x 7 12lbs So I would add a pound or two once they get fully built up.

Yea our latest estimate from OCZ directly is June. So its going to be quite the wait. We'll probably have them when they come out, but as I said its going to be a while =)

5. erisalit

erisalit Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Don't use a laptop on soft surfaces. Just buy a lap desk for approx. $20 (or make your own for even less) for use on your bed or other soft surfaces and always use your laptop on a hard surface. In addition to muffling sound when speakers are at the bottom, on most laptops there are vents on the bottom that would be blocked by placing it on a soft surface. Cooling is very important, especially on gaming laptops, especially while gaming. Don't compromise the cooling by placing it on a soft surface. You will cook it and greatly reduce the life of it.

6. robobzzoy

robobzzoy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I put in my pre-order for this little baby yesterday! Very excitedly waiting now :).

I plan on using it for work (software dev) and home. I look forward to not taking 30 minutes to build a small huge project!

I was wondering if anyone has a preference on a usb docking station they intend to use. Right now my laptop has the supplied dell dock, and I don't have much in the way of peripherals. 1 monitor, keyboard, ethernet, mouse if I wanted.

Wireless ones look interesting, but apparently suffer with HD video. I really wish I could find a cooler dock solution with USB 3, but I do believe I'm living in a dream world for that :).

Anyways just wanted to get the communities thoughts!

7. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Wait a second!

Does the 5160 offer dual HDDs without having to swap out the optical drive? This is odd because that feature is not offered on xoticpc, and yet on mythlogic it is an offered option. Any explanations please?

Mr. Mysterious

8. 5170

5170 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Welcome robobzzoy!

And congrats on your purchase!

As for the dock station, you might try searching / posting in the Accessories Forum.

9. wicked20

wicked20 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't this have Wireless Display 1080p w/ bluetooth & Wifi? So there's less reason to use dock. I'm sure just a matter of time before usb 3.0 dock becomes reasonable.

10. Mr_Mysterious

Reputations:
    With Intel Advanced 6320 and Ultimate 6300 (and possibly higher), you get WiDi automatically. :D

Mr. Mysterious

11. Mr_Mysterious

Reputations:
    Why aren't people more excited about this machine? For me it's got the perfect combination of power, price and portability. Luckily I don't game that much (have a PS3 for that), so this machine is pretty much all about future-proofing.

Mr. Mysterious

12. ursoouindio

ursoouindio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I look forward to mine too! It seems the ideal combination for me as well and I think It will give me some years of comfort. (as I don't play that much)

Sadly I got the news from the Brazilian Clevo reseller that it will be out just in middle April...

13. Mr_Mysterious

Reputations:
    Right on! And don't worry, good things happen to those that wait. :D

Mr. Mysterious

14. McGooble

McGooble Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that the 4 or so hours of battery life would be under a light work load, 3D and photoshop may drop the usage to closer to the 2-2.5 hour range. I could be wrong though, supposedly the SB processor is more efficient battery-wise than 1st gen i7s.

15. hispeed4567

hispeed4567 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You need a few things to get WiDi. One of them is a compatible processor (the 2630QM is not one of them, for anyone who has it), a intel wifi card (6230, 6300, etc...), a device to push the wireless signal to the tv (a netgear device, goes for $100), intel integrated graphics (available on the 51X0, but not on the 81X0 models), in addition to some software. I don't know if the software is preinstalled or available for puurchase or something.

16. Seanwhat

Seanwhat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  17. Mr_Mysterious

Reputations:
  18. ursoouindio

ursoouindio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I got one question for the well knowing Sager and Clevo folks... That's my first contact with such machines and actually haven't heard of them before (they're not that common around here).

Some resellers offer the option of using IC Diamond 7 Thermal thermal compounds on their build. I looked around and it seems that it really is better for the cooling system.

But... Do you really think that it would be important for this model, using a 2720QM processor? It is not one of the hottest, right?

Actually, I have two different resellers options: one offers the 2630QM with IC Diamond 7 Thermal and the other offers the 2720QM without mentioning the thermal compound. The second also has better overall specs, but even then I wouldn't like to have a much hotter notebook.
    Although I don't know which therm compound the second option uses, their products have a good fame among the customers I've reached.

Should I worry about this and have the first option?

19. hispeed4567

hispeed4567 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess intel needs to update their stuff! Is that with the IGP enabled?
    Edit: nevermind, I checked the link and it won't work for the 81x0 models. I guess HDMI will have to do.

20. Mr_Mysterious

Reputations:
    Firstly, the new SB processors use less power and, as a result, less heat than the previous generation.

Secondly, it depends on what you use your machine for. If you do light work, it would not matter. But if you game intensively or video edit or stuff like that...it would be a good investment.

Personally, even though I won't game all that much (or even at all), I will be buying the cooling compound and be pairing the machine with a good notebook cooler.

Because for me, this machine is all about longetivity, future-proofing and possible resale value. As a result, I take very good care of my laptops.

The laptop in my sig is still working fine 3 years after I have bought it; I have been quite careful with it. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. :D

Mr. Mysterious