1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

**Official Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HNQ Owners' Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. othonda

othonda Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why I am a bit puzzled is Clevo during the development stage (literally months ago) had to of validated the dual cores along with the quad’s, thus they know these will work with the machines.

Also I can see how Sager would want to test them, as any responsible company would. But to wait till then to actually update their website (thus allowing the resellers to follow suit) seems to be a bit overly cautious.

By the way I am still interested in the 5160, but unfortunately very recent circumstances has put that on hold indefinitely. :(

2. hispeed4567

hispeed4567 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My guess would be to avoid another issue like the ones that are currently being faced (better safe than sorry). I don't know the volume of units sager sells, but not being able to ship units for two months can't be good for their bottom line.

Also, if you are referring to the freezing issues thread, it gets more confusing/depressing everyday that such a new laptop could have these issues.

3. Pessimistic

Pessimistic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Would a "total price" quote of $1,593.18 from MYTHLOGIC include sales tax, or does that get factored in later? I live in CA.

Edit: Can I avoid sales tax through Xotic PC or MYTHLOGIC if I live in CA?

4. mythlogic

mythlogic Company Representative

Reputations:
    We only charge sales tax to people who buy in MI (because we are based in MI). Other states do not get charged tax.

5. othonda

othonda Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you see mythlogic post on the issue? That is why I felt compelled to write my statement. But yea I imagine caution is in order right now.

Nope it has to do with personal financial issues. If I could, I would still order one right now. :(

6. Madchal

Madchal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow really! you guys are based in MI? I live in MI. What city in MI are you guys in?

7. mythlogic

Reputations:
    We are in Ann Arbor, MI. We have a retail store in downtown.

8. kakapo

kakapo Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm assuming no one has first hand info about this, but perhaps the resellers might know... What touchpad does this laptop use? Synpatics? Size? What's the qualitative assessment? Any info appreciated!

I'm finally closing in on a laptop purchase now that almost all the SB models that I'm interested in are out and starting to look at some of the details.

9. mythlogic

Reputations:
    Synaptic touchpad, multi-touch enabled. Size I don't know off hand, but if its the same one as was on the 5135 (which by all accounts it should be), then its a decent pad, the finish of it gets a little dirty after awhile but doesn't impact performance.

10. tarung1793

tarung1793 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm looking to order one through xoticpc, but i would like to know if the sound blaster capable card good enough(with external creative speakers) or should i upgrade, also shall i get the IC diamond thermal paste on the gpu and cpu??

11. tarung1793

tarung1793 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @mythlogic : i cant find this model on your site..

12. Bhima

Bhima Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its the Pollux 1411, same as in my sig.

13. ursoouindio

ursoouindio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This issue matters to me also.

So, I can't disable the NVidia GPU on the bios?
    I use Linux as well and I know that Optimus still doesn't work properly on it.

On that situation, I rather use only the iGPU, to save battery. I can't do it, is that you're saying?
    And if I decide to eventually turn the NVidia GPU on (on bios), I will not have access to its full capacities on Linux?

And if I have NVidia GPU on, it will spend the same amount of power, even that I'm really using the iGPU?
    That's lame...

Just trying to clarify it...

Regards.

14. mythlogic

Reputations:
    Hey,

Yea you can shut down the dGPU in the BIOS and it won't even be detected.

15. ursoouindio

ursoouindio Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey, that's nice to hear. Thanks.

But still I couldn't have Nvidia's full power on Linux, right?
    (Not that it will be much of a deal, but then I wouldn't bother trying to figure out how to fix it hehehe)

And some other thing that passed on my mind:

How would you compare the battery life of this notebook while using th iGPU only or when using Nvidia's Optimus?
    Would the iGPU get an hour more or so?

Regards!

16. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    For those interested the I5's are now released on the Sager NP5160 and NP5170. Also the new Intel 510 Series SSD's are now available for order. :)

EDIT:

Along with the above I posted on early this morning also:
    Sager is offering a new wireless card: Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1102.
    More info here:
    Sager has tested this exciting Gaming Wi-Fi card offering from Bigfoot networks, however they have noticed that on some of the models the hardware Wi-Fi LED indicator does not function. Sager has tested and the card will function as it should 100%, you will need to view if the RF Signal is being turned on / off with-in windows.

17. Vanaru

Vanaru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright, Im still on the fence between the 5160/8150. With all the upgrades I want, the 5160 comes to $1100 while the 8150 comes to $1560. And Im only going to be playing SCII, WoW, and maybe KOTOR online. Do you guys think the GT540 can handle these games with a decent framerate on med-high settings with the FHD screen?

18. sea_of_fate

sea_of_fate Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do, but I'm no expert. Brand new higher end CPU and fairly old games.

19. madwildcat

madwildcat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Justin or any of the other resellers,

What's the real difference between the i5-2520M and the i7-2630QM on this model? I know the battery life is better on the dual-core and that the quad-core is better for applications using multi-threading, but there has also been talk about WiDi and other stuff that seems to be different between the two. Anything more concrete would be great.

20. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    The main differences are as you mentioned Dual Core vs Quad, cache size and GHz. I haven't heard anything on WIDI in relation to the CPU.