1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

**Official Sager NP5160 / Clevo W150HNQ Owners' Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ryan, Jan 17, 2011.

1. the[r]

the[r] Notebook Consultant

i already talked to brett@xoticpc and he said he doesn't know when they will have it up on there.

2. the[r]

the[r] Notebook Consultant

on the sager website it already lists i5's under the advantages, but its not yet implemented into the configuration menu. so hopefully well see an update soon

3. mythlogic

mythlogic Company Representative

See above :D

See above above :D

We have our first production dual-core's coming in today. We look forward to benchmarking them.

4. Bhima

Bhima Notebook Consultant

According to the rumor mill, the highest i5 dual core isn't even as fast as the base quad-core so I'm not exactly sure why anyone would get the dual core unless the price difference is THAT great.

5. othonda

othonda Notebook Deity

For what I will be using the laptop for an i5 2520 will be more than enough.

Also I want a 35W part instead of a 45W part to get the best possible battery life. This lappy will be used more for portable use unplugged.

The cost difference will be around $100-$150, so the savings in money and the battery life increase works out well for me.

6. mythlogic

Highest Dual Core is 2.7GHz, the i7-2620m. I'm holding one :) Trying to tell you they are released and exist :p

7. Bhima

I have no doubt they exist, just not sure the highest dual core is worth it since it isn't that much different in price. Now the one right below the fastest dual core actually seems to save a decent amount of money, now we just need some benches to see if it actually saves that much on battery.

8. marcusjhung

marcusjhung Notebook Consultant

I am interested in getting one for moderate gaming and college school work. I am torn between the decisions of staying at 4GB ram or upgrading to 8GB however. I don't know if I will ever need the 4GB extra RAM. Otherwise, I am excited for this laptop because it is of very good value considering that the specs packed in this device could run for over a grand easily. I also heard good things about its reliability and longevity.

9. othonda

othonda Notebook Deity

If your use would be with apps that are single or dual threaded only the i7 2620m would own the i7 630QM, but for muli-threaded I would say go for the quad. I imagine the price difference between the 2 processors will be pretty small, so the choice would really depend on your use now and in the future. However for the i5 2520m at a price point of around $225 (125-150 less than the above models) that really is a bargain. According to Sager engineers the battery life is around 4.5-5 hours with the quad. I would bet the 2520 being lower clocked and 10W TDP less will get well above 5 hours even if Sager numbers are a bit exaggerated.

Edit: I know benches would sure be nice, it would give people a better idea what to get based on their needs.

10. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

when will these be available for shipping in these sager models?

11. mythlogic

We have some orders that already have those processors. We're just waiting for the shells to come in. So they will be released at the same time as everyone else's orders. Thats only for us, because we are Clevo system builders and not sager resellers we are quicker to release this kind of stuff as we build our own machines.

12. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Sounds great. I was browsing your selection, very interested. I take it the new chipsets are in as well? Thanks for your time.

13. mythlogic

The new shells with updated chipsets will be out throughout march. We should be back to normal by the end of march.

14. Justin@XoticPC

Justin@XoticPC Company Representative

Sager will be releasing the i5's as soon as these models come into stock. They are awaiting for testing first for final confirmation before launch. Offering a new item without some initial testing in the model is a little risky. Any customer that has a order in can always change to the new i5's once they launch. Sager has confirmed they will be available once the first 5160/5170's arrive and they do some testing on each CPU.

15. pfox__

pfox__ Newbie

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one of these, yet?

I'm asking because I'd like someone to confirm whether or not the BIOS has configuration options for switching between Intel Graphics HD 3000 / Discrete NVidia 540M and Optimus modes (that is, you can choose a "switch" at the BIOS level between exposing either 1) one or the other graphics solution ONLY or 2) exposing both via the optimus API). I know that some already-released optimus laptops support this switching feature in the BIOS config, and I'm curious if the 5160 does as well.

I only ask because I'm a linux user and I know that, for optimus systems, the laptops tend to be "stuck" in the integrated graphics mode unless you can configure the system, at the BIOS level, to enable the discrete graphics. This issue is, basically, a show-stopper for me and I'll have to settle for a system (like the 8130) without optimus if this can't be configured in the BIOS. I prefer the tighter form-factor of the 5160 and hope that it can be the model that I purchase, eventually.

Also: anyone noticed that the official nvidia drivers (for windows and linux) don't support the 500M series of chipsets, yet? How is anyone supposed to have working graphics with this? Are there reference drivers that Clevo/Sager are distributing?

Thanks.

16. mythlogic

All our machines are tested, then tested again, by us =) Plus we already have our confirmation that they work just fine. We wouldn't put it on our site if we weren't 1000% sure it would work and work well.

Its a standard optimus implementation. That means in linux the only thing that will work is the iGPU, as it doesn't have true switchable graphics so you won't be able to get the dGPU to work in linux except for some cuda work.

17. Catan

Catan Notebook Evangelist

Hey Mythlogic, any word on if better cards such as the GT 550m or 555m will ever be implemented in the NP 5160? Or is that something you guys can swap out?

18. Justin@XoticPC

I am sure all sellers test the items they sell, just getting at Sager is not taking that leap of launching the CPU's until they are hand tested first. How can anyone be 100% if not a single 5160/5170 has arrived in the US? Since your machines are purchased from Sager and Sager is not planning on listing the i5 until they receive models and test it personally, there is no guarantee on it as "stuff" can always happen. :) .

19. Bhima

Was pretty sure Mythlogic doesn't actually purchase from Sager, I thought they purchased from Clevo (but I could be totally wrong). In other news, no... the 5160 cannot upgrade the graphics processor because the GPU is permanently attached to the logic board. If Clevo decides to use the 555m it would probably be in an entirely different laptop.

20. Justin@XoticPC

The ONLY North American Importers from Clevo are Sager and Eurocom. You are exactly right about the GPU. :)