**OFFICIAL Sager NP5125/Sager NP5135/Clevo B5130M Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skwiggler, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r08

r08 Newbie

Reputations:
    I know this has been covered before, but if you're procrastinating on cleaning out the dust from your CPU. I would recommend doing that, I just did mine when it was open for another reason and was really surprised how much dust had caked in there. Huge temp improvement. I was starting to get high temp alerts in WIN 7 when running resource intensive apps.

2. oviradoi

oviradoi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

I have had my Sager NP5135 from XoticPC since December 2010, and it has always worked fine. Now I have my first serious problem with it.

I noticed a few days ago while turning off my laptop that the end of the cable that charges my laptop is very hot. I looked at the DC-in port of my laptop, and I noticed that the plastic around it was melted a little bit. Also, the metal tip of the cable that goes into the laptop is very hot.

Over the last few days I did some experiments to find out what can cause the problem. I found out that if I am browsing the web, watching videos, movies, etc, the laptop works fine, and the tip of the charging cable does not heat up significantly (it heats up a little bit, but I guess that's normal).

But when I play games, like Prototype 2, even for five minutes, the tip of the charging cable heats up a lot. I have made several tests in which I would play Prototype 2 for five minutes, and then exit the game and take out my charging cable to see how hot it is. I don't have a thermometer, but I could barely hold it in my hand.

So I am asking you, do you know what could cause this problem, or how I can fix it? I would really appreciate it if someone from XoticPC could assist me with this problem.

EDIT: This also happens when playing other games too, not only Prototype 2. I clean out the dust in my laptop every 6 months or so. I opened it up and there was no dust. The game is at medium detail, with antialiasing turned off. The laptop can handle the game just fine at higher detail, but I choose not to run it that high. I always use a notebook cooler while gaming. I also attached a screenshot of SpeedFan running while I played Prototype 2 for 5 minutes. As you can see, the CPU and GPU don't report very high temps, but the charger cable tip gets very hot.

Thank you.

PS: I have attached some pictures of the DC-in jack, and the charger cable tip. You can see the melted plastic below the DC-in jack.

Attached Files:

3. shteren

shteren Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi there, i have the exact same problem, and i saw other people here also reported it, the explanation i belive is that they simply didn't put the right connector for the DC, this computer takes a lot of current when using the gpu and cpu thus the cable heats up because of the electricity flow, a bigger connecter with less electrical ressistance whould probebly have heated less, you can compare it to other similar laptops from different manufacturers, our's is much smaller.

the down side here is that sending it back to the lab will only resault in them giving you a new plastic panel and this happening again after a while...

it's a design failure... not much to do unless you can find a lab that'll replace your connector to a more suited one.

4. Simon

Simon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would it be possible to fix it yourself? o_O

5. Occams

Occams Newbie

Reputations:
    Somehow i can't write PMs so i'm going to quote this.
    I would be very interested in your modification of the fan, especially the pictures

6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    You need 5 forum posts to send a PM

7. darlyn

darlyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If yours is overheating, first off, have RealTemp running at all times in order to monitor the temps. Never let it go above 95C, set an alarm for it. The safe high-load temps should be 60-85C. Second, Fn + 4 toggles between fan speeds. It should be on "Normal" for proper operation during gaming, otherwise within a few minutes the thing will burn. So try it.

And yes, pop the cover every 6 months or so and remove the dust, optionally removing the GPU fan and carefully cleaning it.

Anyway, for anyone with the standard screen, have you noticed how the bottom half of it has less saturated or lighter colors?

8. r08

r08 Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed 2 ssd drives, primary and in the ODD bay. significantly brought down my temps. I know it's overkill. but if you were to stick with even 1 SSD as your only drive. that might make a difference.

two questions. what do people recommend as a replacement for the battery? anyone see a 9 cell out there? i have 22% wear and get maybe 1.5 hours on a charge:(

anyone know of any good replacements for the stock fan? either quieter, or more powerful at the same volume?

9. darlyn

darlyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mine in mid-2010 and my hard drive is already starting to die.

I wish I could get a quieter fan myself. That's been my main complaint about this thing since day one. Someone suggested adding a resistor to it a in this thread. I still haven't tried that.

Sadly I think this thread is kind of dead, though.

10. cgmcnama1

cgmcnama1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this is where I should post but I am having problems with my Sager NP5125. The battery is dead so I have been running off direct power until today. When plugged in it has a solid orange light on. When I press the power button the green light flickers on for .5 second before returning to solid orange. The laptop does not boot or even begin to boot. I cleaned out the inside of the laptop with an air duster after and nothing in the house was affected by a power surge. I think it has to be something with the power supply but I have no idea how to go about fixing or replacing this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.