**OFFICIAL Sager NP5125/Sager NP5135/Clevo B5130M Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skwiggler, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c_wolff

c_wolff Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, i'm new at this forum, sorry for my english

Searching the posts, i haven't found any tip to cool down the np5125 in this linux distro, so i'll post my experience:

@windows, measuring via speedfan (don't use it, will mess up your keyboard), the temp barely achieve 70C, under light use.

@ubuntu, doing nothing, temp easily reach 90C. It's bad to even plug a usb device @ left side of the laptop, cause it's getting too hot. Fan is too loud also.

You could see the temp with sensors installed via
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    or Xsensors (installed via Ubuntu Software Center)

To avoid this temperature and noisy fan, you could:

Right-click in the top bar, Add Panel-> CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor. With this applet you can control the cpu scaling. One good choice is the CONSERVATIVE governor. After some time, temp will lower.
    You need to set the CONSERVATIVE governor for the 4 CPU (CPU0-CPU3)

The annoying thing is that after every boot, the cpuscaling auto change to default config: ONDEMAND, and you need to set to CONSERVATIVE in the 4 CPU again. ONDEMAND hots your NP5125.

An easy, but not pretty solution is to edit the daemon /etc/init.d/ondemand, changing the line:

Code:
    echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ
    to
    Code:
    echo -n conservative > $CPUFREQ
    Reboot and you're done.

Temp now @UBUNTU barely raise to 65C, under moderate use. Now i can attach usb devices @left side without hotten them.

If you need to quick change to other modes, like PERFORMANCE, you can set it via command-line:

Code:
    cpufreq-selector -c 0 -g performance
    cpufreq-selector -c 1 -g performance
    cpufreq-selector -c 2 -g performance
    cpufreq-selector -c 3 -g performance

Ps: In high performance modes or clocks, Fn+4 (as said before) lower fan speed and also lower clock.

I hope this tip will be useful for you

Wolff

2. shteren

shteren Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    dude, you have some serius problem.

i have np5125 and using ubuntu constant, the temp is at ~45-50 most of the time.

getting to 65 only when i use the GPU to try to run some games on wine

usully i just turn it off in the bios when i don't need it,but even with it being on the normal temp is around 55...

not limiting it by cpufreq

3. sha7bot

sha7bot Company Representative

Reputations:
    So first, I use SPDIF out on my PC at home. It's true optical out, and yes it glows red at all times.

Second, I have an Alienware M18x that has SPDIF out and it comes with a gold plated Mini-TOSLINK plug to transfer from 3.5mm to TOSLINK. It does NOT glow red.

The reason for this: these "Multipurpose Audio Jacks" require feedback from the line in order to activate. Have you ever plugged in a set of headphones and a message pops up saying, "You have plugged a line into your audio jack."

Is your TOSLINK cable gold plated or is it the clear type? Are you using a Mini-TOSLINK adapter, or are you plugging right into the 3.5mm output?

4. c_wolff

c_wolff Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx for the tip. Disabling optimus in bios decrease even more the temp. Now it's ~40-45. I've kept the cpufreq in conservative mode for the 4 CPU.

5. Habafu

Habafu Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any bios available for download?

If someone can provide it I can try to unlock hidden options like fan control and clock settings.

6. Habafu

Habafu Newbie

Reputations:
    Bad news: I contacted Clevo and asked them to release an EC with modified fan table. They refused to do so...

Good news: I contacted Schenker (Germany) and they gave me the current B5130M EC firmware!

Can somebody modify the fan table of the EC firmware? Are there any tools available to do that?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  7. shteren

shteren Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    great news for all of your ubuntu users out there,

bumblebee (nvidia optimus open source project) just released version 3.0
    what does that mean? that it support most features of optimus, including shutting down the card to conserve energy when not in use!

go here for instructions:
    https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+archive/stable

8. Nettacki

Nettacki Newbie

Reputations:
    Had the NP5135 for 1.5 years by now and it's still going strong. Granted, I ran into some nasty overheating issues similar to what darlyn experienced, but ultimately resolved them in the same way he did.

9. darlyn

darlyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good to hear, almost two years since I got mine (and one year since repairing it).

By the way, I know this is common sense, but if heat's an issue, pop the lid and use compressed air/tweezers to remove dust every 5 months or so. I do this and I get an instant 15-20C decrease in peak temps at load. I've removed thick, semi-solid chunks of dust every time that clogged up the left vent (NP5125).

Sadly the fan is still loud a heck and no BIOS updates correcting this have been issued.

10. Habafu

Habafu Newbie

Reputations:
    I used a 3 Ohm (0.5 watt) resistor to lower the speed of the fan to 80%. Its quiet now at idle :)

Temperatures at full load are 4°C higher (tested with Prime95), so nearly no difference.

If you need more information and/or pictures how to do this, write me a PM and I'll post it here for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.