**OFFICIAL Sager NP5125/Sager NP5135/Clevo B5130M Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skwiggler, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autumn Demon

Autumn Demon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm getting very high CPU temperatures while gaming: above 90C. Is this normal?

And no, the fan isn't known to be quiet.

2. oviradoi

oviradoi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @infinite012
    @darlyn

Do you have any pictures of the melting plastic around the power plug?
    I only get high temperatures when playing games, and I will get a notebook cooler to help with that. I have always kept my drivers up to date, but I haven't had any problem with an overheating power adapter melting the plastic.

Did the power adapter stop overheating after you updated the nvidia drivers? Also, how often do you play GPU intensive games on the notebook?

3. darlyn

darlyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When gaming I definitely get scalding temps, but I've never actually measured it. Where surface is it resting on when you get 90C? I know that if I use it in bed it heats up terribly, so I make sure to keep it several inches away from the ventilation-blocking bed covers by elevating it on an old college textbook.

No pictures, but it was deformed enough to be quite plain that the plastic had started to melt. I haven't touched those problematic drivers since then and just now see that there have been new ones released (275.33), so I'll be trying those out for a while. This is all in reference to the NP5125, by the way, since this thread now deals with two models.

4. Nautis

Nautis Switchable Graphics Guy

Reputations:
    Has anyone traced what the vga button does to enable/disable optimus? I assume it triggers with use of the hotkey software. Has anyone logged the changes with a registry monitor?

5. infinite012

infinite012 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Another update: My AC adapter port on the laptop is now getting finicky. Sometimes the laptop won't "see" that the AC adapter is plugged in. I think it's due to the same issue that caused the damn laptop to melt in the first place.

My next laptop will probably be an Asus, Lenovo or a tried and true Dell.

6. darlyn

darlyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Woah, again? I recommend sending it in. Had the entire motherboard+bottom chassis replaced three months ago, hopefully it doesn't repeat for me. I've been keeping tabs on temps this time around, maintaining a good 63C at full load in a 30C room.

Did you ever get Hackintosh installed? I'm thinking of doing it for Snow Leopard if there isn't a guide for Lion yet.

It's interesting how you and me have been having the exact same problems (fan noise, melting) at the exact same time...

Oh, and good news everyone! What is Fn + 1 on other Sagers is actually Fn + 4 on the NP5125. That

7. infinite012

Reputations:
    Hackintosh was fail. There are/were no drivers available for the integrated Intel graphics and Optimus isn't/wasn't supported, so no go for the GT330m. That meant I was stuck with 800x600 resolution on this awesome 1920x1080 display, and I'm not so much of an Apple fanboy to allow such a low resolution.

8. infinite012

Reputations:
    Laptop won't charge anymore...

EDIT: About 10 minutes after I typed ^ that, the laptop shut down and is now refusing to turn on. I'll give a few hours to "charge," but I've already put in a service request with Sager. Let's hope they make this right.

9. Simon

Simon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  10. infinite012

Reputations:
    I just got the laptop back from Sager. They probably replaced the motherboard, but they also switched out the entire bottom casing so my AC plug area isn't melted anymore! They also gave me a different 6 cell battery.

Hopefully I won't run into another problem with this laptop.

Sager did, however, manage to scratch the bejesus out of the plastic around my trackpad. Not cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.