**OFFICIAL Sager NP5125/Sager NP5135/Clevo B5130M Owner's Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skwiggler, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZX

VZX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go check some review about Seagate Momentus XT at Anandtech, Engadget, StorageReview, Tomshardware, etc. They are saying good thing about the Hybrid for having a price closer to normal HD and a capability close to SSD.
    Also, you could check notebookreview.com forum at after market upgrade. People have only been saying good thing about the HD.

About my purchase:
    Got mine from broker from my country. I think he ordered it directly from SagerNotebooks.com. And related to the topics above, you can guess how much is the shipping cost that 1 item from states to Indonesia. It's about 40% cost of the notebook. I don't think buying HDD separately will save me any money.

@Sumik temperature.:
    With my old ASUS', those are "standard" values on heavy load. But you better try to find a way to make them down. Probably start with cleaning the fan? (who knows the environment you working with is so dusty)

2. VZX

VZX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tried to search USB 3.0 HD yesterday. It seems there aren't many yet out there in market. Do you guys have a recommendation? (though it's not like my 1 TB eSATA HD will need a replacement anytime soon)

3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since the laptop only has a SATA II controller, your USB 3.0 external HD will not be able to transfer data any faster than the eSATA port. Both will be limited to SATA II speed.

4. Shane@DARK.

Shane@DARK. Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey guys, sorry to respond to this so late in the game. We are discontinuing all Clevo laptops as barebone pricing has been increased due to the complaints of resellers (as told to us by Sager) so that our prices would no longer be competitive. This has culminated after multiple instances with Sager treating our company at a sub-par level to the point where they even sent us the following email regarding an already paid order of ours for B5100M barebones:

After this, we proceeded to find out that while being told that Sager had "oversold" the stock they had, orders were still shipping out daily to Sager resellers - even after I specifically asked over the phone whether or not this shortage only applied to unbranded models and was told it did not.

A few days later we received updated pricing so that our systems were now at the same price or higher than their resellers' pricing at cost, and the decision has finally been made to discontinue all Clevo-based laptop sales due to what Sager has been putting us through, effective immediately.

Note: This does NOT affect support for these systems. If you have previously purchased a laptop from us, your full warranty is still applicable and will be honored.

5. flip4life

flip4life Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'v actually been doing a ton of research on the Hybrid Drive.. Problem with all of the good reviews from all of the companies.. they are short term reviews.. see a review where they have had it for a very long period of time? Well I have.. majority of people say they have had to get it RMA's multiple times, lost lots of info, drive constantly stops spinning going into its built in "power saver mode" which lags the system when starts spinning back up.. if you go to newegg.com and check out reviews.. majority of them are not good and thats not just people complaining about DOA. Im just going to hold off and buy a SSD once the prices come down quite a bit

6. Tyo

Tyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    well sometimes stuff happens, in the end if you don't screw ppl over and keep good communication many will trust you in the upcoming prchases.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well that sounds like the USB 3.0 on this laptop is pretty useless, or at least overhyped by marketing, its just an extra esata port i suppose then

8. flip4life

flip4life Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At the moment it seems as if its kinda pointless.. but in the future when people have other laptops without USB 3.0 and when you have a USB 3.0 flash drive or something you'll be glad that you have the port on it. I mean the transfer speed of SATA II on a flash drive would be pretty cool i guess

9. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, since SATA II is about 6x faster than USB 2.0, having a USB 3.0 flash drive that will transfer that fast is a good thing.

My comment was only to caution about spending the money for an external USB 3.0 HDD and finding the transfer rate less than expected. eSATA externals are more common, and less expensive, so better to stay with that.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ye its better than having a regular USB 2.0 port i suppose, just feels kinda like a huge gimmick to advertise it as a usb 3.0 port and all its advantages and then not even give us the full functionality of a usb 3.0 port.

like this from sagers site:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.