**OFFICIAL SAGER 8850-Clevo W880CU Owners Lounge**

Discussion in 'Sager/Clevo Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by TheBossMan, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H-Emmanuel

H-Emmanuel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only reason why I think going with the W880CU could be a not so bad choice is because the motherboard is officially capable of handling a 100W GPU; if the next generation of GPUs are more power hungry and still use the same MXM slot, it might be possible to upgrade the W880CU and not W870CU. I'm pretty sure there are a few differences between the W870CU and W880CU's motherboards; there must be a technical reason why their BIOS aren't inter-compatible. Just like how the motherboard of the M860TU looked the same as the M860ETU's but had no Quad-Core support.
    Now it's possible that the latest W870CUs use exactly the same motherboard, I don't know and I haven't kept up to date lately.

2. ichime

ichime Notebook Elder

Reputations:
    They should just put a GTX 470M in a W880, as well as the ATi cards too. Can't go wrong with better cooling...

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    this would be great, if it were true, because i plan on upgrading my 480M to a 5xxM when they're available.

4. Patrck_744

Patrck_744 Burgers!

Reputations:
    I'd skip a generation since they offer only 10% boost.

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Has anyone been brave enough to confirm this?

6. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The current production W870CU's can accept the GTX 480M just fine providing that the required parts are included. From the looks of it, the first production W870CU can also take the GTX 480M. http://forum.notebookreview.com/6558975-post2105.html

The reason why MXM-Upgrade says that only 35W CPU's are compatible is because they tested only with the 120W PSU. I can bet you that when using it under realistic loads (games) with a >35W CPU dropped the PSU to it's knees. And yes, the BIOS for the current production W870CU and W880CU are compatible with each other. At the time of that post, the latest BIOS for the W870CU was 1.00.13, and the revised motherboard for the W870CU (ie. the one with USB 3.0) wasn't released yet. I flashed the W880CU BIOS onto my W870CU without a problem, however I do not know if the W870CU BIOS at that time is compatible with the W880CU as I do not have a W880CU to attempt it.

Now that the W880CU is out of print and the GTX 480M has been replaced by the GTX 470M, I don't see any reason why one would flash the W880CU BIOS onto the W870CU today.

The GTX 470M's cooling won't be noticeably better on the W880CU. Clevo only has one heatsink design for the GTX 470M and it was made to fit the W870CU, which has the regular backpanel. You can put it in the W880CU, but the heatsink won't benefit much from the W880CU being raised ~8mm due to the taller backpanel. I can do that with a pair of erasers I have lying around.

If 100W cards are released again in the future for the W870CU/W880CU platform, if ever, then W870CU users can just pick up a new backpanel and PSU. http://forum.notebookreview.com/6926499-post330.html

Me.

7. Ferrero

Ferrero Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I am having frequent BSODs, normally while gaming (it typically comes up with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION error, on multiple different games). I have a top of the line system (8Gb Ram, i7 940XM) and Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I am fairly certain all the drivers are up to date. The laptop isn't overly hot so I don't think it is cooling either.

I feel confident I could resolve the problem if I could just work out what was causing the BSODs. Can anyone suggest a way to work out the specific Driver/Piece of Software that is causing a BSOD?

8. H-Emmanuel

H-Emmanuel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unstable memory perhaps?

9. M1lkyBarKid

M1lkyBarKid Newbie

Reputations:
    Guys, has the W880CU got a 120Hz display, I want to play games on it in 3d without connecting it to a 3d Tv? Thanks in advance.

10. Soviet Sunrise

Soviet Sunrise Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.