[Official] Questions for the MSI Rep!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MSIGeno, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Don't worry about it. It is good that you ask but I think MSI won't have an answer as they did not develop anything of the oculus themselves. Oculus and nvidia might have a better answer but to me it sounds like they just haven't had the time to test mobile GPUs. Even if your 980 is the "desktop" GPU, it is still a mobile only GPU that happens to have the same specs as a desktop variant.

I think they mentioned, but I am not sure, that a 980m might work. If this is the case, your 980 should work as it is faster. But I do believe SLI support is still not properly implemented. VR tech is literally new and untested in the market. If you venture right now you will be an early adopter that will get the benefit of trying it out first but with any issues it might come :)

I am sure all issues will be sorted in the coming months but for the time being, we don't have any "official' stance on oculus dev. If their recommended specs are true, then your 980 should work because it is at the very least, on par with a 970, slightly slower than a full desktop 980. So spec wise you should be ok in the requirements. It would be bad for them if they locked out particular GPUs just because they are mobile.

2. touchyandalou

touchyandalou Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey. I own a GT72 and am looking at getting one of the Hermes backpacks, however the ones for the GT72 seem to be sold out everywhere in the UK. I can get the backpack for the GT80 however, so was wondering if anybody could tell me what the size difference between the two backpacks is. Will the GT80 backpack be too big for my GT72 to offer proper protection? Thanks in advance.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Best to check with your local MSI office since the backpack isn't always available and varies by region.

4. abesh

abesh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey, I recently purchased a GT72 ProDragon. Is there a chance that the keyboard will get SteelSeries Engine 3 support ? I have a SteelSeries mouse and have SSE 2 and 3 running at the same time.

DimitrisCSD likes this.
  5. DimitrisCSD

DimitrisCSD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great question

6. RicardoMoyer

RicardoMoyer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Would you happen to know what those features are? I cant seem to find them on the interwebz

7. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What happened to the GS70 2QE Haswell service page? Stop supporting it or something? All the content removed except Help Desk.

8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For the most part, not branded products tend to miss things like Dynaudio sound, either soundblaster/nahimic, they have lower warranty period, in some models the used to have single color backlight instead of multicolor without support for steel series engine. Stuff like that. It is best to check with specific models to see if what you are missing is not important to you :)

It's most likely under maintenance or being changed. The same happened not long ago with a bunch of models of 4th gen haswell, when windows 10 came out. But now they are working with full support and drivers.

Give it some time. If you need any particular/specific driver, maybe you can contact MSI directly or your reseller in case you bought from one.

9. ZerockX

ZerockX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks ryzeki. Strange, if it's under maintenance, other service pages should've gone down too. And if they're updating the page, it should be a simple task which doesn't take days. Normally i would just patiently wait, but i'm curious what going on with it.

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Barebone cannot have any advantage to use to compete against their fully-branded systems.
    So, when it's not branded as MSI, you lose,
    1. Better appearance
    2. Better keyboard
    3. Better speakers
    4. Some software (such as Sound Blaster & Nahimic)
    5. SuperRAID
    6. Some other minor things

Use 5th generation drivers, they should work almost the same as 4th.
    Most of the time, the drivers are usually accumulative so they can support new and existing products with a few exceptions which depends by component manufacturers.
    If you encounter driver not able to install then that's the one you can ask us and we will help you to locate the correct driver for that particular component.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.