[Official] Questions for the MSI Rep! #2

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MSIGeno, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Can't be certain on this even though they seemed similar, but without placing both right next to each other to compare it's really hard to say.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Visually, all the ports/connectors are the same and in the same place, the keyboards seem to be the same steelseries version, the only thing that I "discovered" was that some said that the audio jacks sub-board as an extra cable due to the ESS Sabre DAC, could you confirm this(assuming you have access to MSI e-service), that and I know that the SSD cradle is different, because it supports NVMe and SATA m.2 SSD's, so I need at least to grab one of those, the heatsinks also need to be changed, but i would like to tackle that by jumping straight to the GT72VR(or 73vr, not sure now) so I get the 3 heatpipe CPU heatsink and the right heatsink to mount on top of a 1070.

I know that this sounds crazy, but its still cheaper than buying a whole new laptop with a 1070.

3. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, that information isn't available to anyone outside of MSI. Perhaps @majster msi knows.
    It really sounds crazy but kind of cool. :)

4. majster msi

majster msi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So what information do you need to know? Probably if all boards/layout from ms-1781 fits for swap to ms-1782/3 ? I can collect information what has to be swapped for upgrade ;) . Currently I am out from the business(not msi engineer anymore) however I got contacts :).

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi majster msi, so if I'm not forgetting anything essential and if its possible to, I would like to know if the GT72S 6QE(i7-6820HK mobo) uses the same(or a compatible) part number as the GT72 2QE in the following parts:

Audio sub board with the audio jacks.

USB sub board with the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the right side of the laptop.

Touchpad

RGB led sub-boards on the touchpad and on the two front strips

I already know that the SSD board is different from the GT72 due to the GT72 supporting only SATA and the GT72S support 2xSATA anda 2xPCIe.
    The eDP cable is the same on the mobo side(will most likelly upgrade to a 40 pin one from waresphere so I can slap either a 1080p 120Hz display or the 1440p 120Hz display).
    The heatsink is different on the CPU side(different spacing on the mounting holes).
    GT72S uses DDR4 RAM vs my current DDR3L.
    Battery is the same.
    Speakers look the same, with same cables in the same place.
    ODD seems to be in the same place, but not important at all.
    Fans are the same or if they have revisions they are all compatible.
    The rear IO ports are different, one less DP for the USB C(SuperPort by MSI naming), but I can touch up the case to make room for the port, no problems there.

If you can get any info on that, I would be thankful.

Best regards.

6. Patrick Star

Patrick Star Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wanna buy GT75VR, currently there is only model with 1x16GB ram in my country. I know that the factory ram placed on the backside of motherboard, and normaly it will run dual channel with the other slot on the backside (on 2x16GB configuration)

Can I run dual channel by adding a compatible ram (same brand, speed, cl, etc) on the front slot? (the slot that visible once I open the bottom panel)
    Or I have to open everything and put the 2nd stick on the backside?

Thanks!

I already asked here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...scussions-lounge.806253/page-63#post-10680447
    But the person I asked doesnt seems to notice it ._.

7. streetunder

streetunder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Can someone tell if its normal for the GT72VR 7RE, to drain a bit of the battery, while plugged in, playing games for more then one hour straight?

Also, can i rollback the EC Firmware? is it 100% safe?

8. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Yes, you can install it in the bottom slot, closest to the motherboard, under the bottom service panel.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    1. It's normal as the system uses battery for power boost.
    2. Yes you can, 100%, but not recommended as newer version usually provides better tweaks/enhancements.

Vasudev and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  10. Neufeldorama

Neufeldorama Newbie

Reputations:
    MSI Rep,
    I was just told that by windows tech support that Windows 10 cannot be installed onto my GT60 2PC dominator. Is this true?

11. Kevin@GenTechPC

Reputations:
    It's not certified for Windows 10 but it still can be installed nevertheless.
    Also, you will need to obtain the Win10 drivers for each component (such as LAN, WLAN, Audio, Graphics, etc) in the system.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  12. Neufeldorama

Neufeldorama Newbie

Reputations:
    What does not certified mean? Not fully functional at install? Install at own risk?
    My main concern is this -are there 10 drivers available somewhere for all parts?
    That is my real concern - I cannot find MSI windows 10 drivers specifically for some parts - only 8.1 drivers. If I use the 8.1 drivers will things not work (like the top row of keys)?

Can you please give me a full list of the components needing drivers for this unit after 10 install and where to get these appropriate 10 drivers for my GT60 2PC dominoator MSI? I don't want to do the hard install and then find things won't work and I have to put everything back. If there are no drivers for the parts I would have wasted a lot of time and money for nothing. Windows 10 has been around for a while - I would hope there would be drivers. I got this very powerful computer to run some pro lighting programs and need to run windows 10 for the new program -it will be very frustrating if this is the case.