[Official] Questions for the MSI Rep! #2

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MSIGeno, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can't do blind flash whether if the unit is bricked or not. Notebooks aren't equipped with unique Boot Recovery function like desktop motherboard products have. However, MSI usually covers BIOS flashing issues under warranty.

2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info Kevin!!

Gonna wait on this programmer to get here and try that route before shipping.

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Often the vendors don't want to give up their "special Fn" key combinations, like the one that unlocks the BIOS.

Here's some legacy threads, maybe some insights there...:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/help-has-anyone-ever-attempted-a-blind-bios-flash.340173/

"Ok this is for ACER laptops but might work for you or give you some ideas.
    Check the threads below, blind flash using a USB drive. Caution: it seems like the USB drive should be small, 256mb or less to make it work using these methods!

INSYDE http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=284686
    PHOENIX http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=328328 "

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=256728.0

"I've found that on the web.... Is there someone who knows what button to press for my laptop?

method 2

In case of a BAD flash, a blind-flash will be required.

1. Remove any files from your USB that aren't the necessary bootable DOS files.

2. Pick a ROM you want to flash (doesn't have to be the original), but it MUST be one for your notebook specifically.

3. Rename the file.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM and put it on your flash drive.

4. Plug in your flash drive in a USB 2.0 slot.

5. As soon as your notebook turns on and nothing is displayed, spam Ctrl + Home (In my case, the MS-16F2 is Ctrl + Fn + PgUp or Ctrl + Shift + NumPad 7).

6. You should hear four (4) beeps and the BIOS should begin flashing itself"

"Quote from: jeromeplourde on 22-June-15, 04:40:17
    5. As soon as your notebook turns on and nothing is displayed, spam Ctrl + Home (In my case, the MS-16F2 is Ctrl + Fn + PgUp or Ctrl + Shift + NumPad 7).

I guess no matter what combination it might be, you need ctrl+home key to trigger the blind flash."

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...ng-issue-G751JY-Bricked&viewfull=1#post563381

"Ctrl+Home+Power works! REALLY!
    For it to work on G751JY:
    1.have a FAT32 formatted usb stick handy,THIS IS A MUST. NTFS FORMATED STICK WON"T BE READ BY BIOS.
    2. Put the bios file on it in root of directory structure, rename it G751JY.bin put the original G751JYAS.211 with it, I used both, not sure which one worked,
    3. insert usb stick into any usb port + connect laptop to power brick and p-brick to mains, battery neeeds to be charged 90%, it will not let the bios flash if it is less,
    4.press and hold right Ctrl+Home and than press Pbutton and release. Keep holding Ctrl+Home until EZFlash appears on screen. Release Crtl+Home.

If you like to put bios file on HDD/SSD, the bios file MUST be on the first partition of the HDD/SSD. Note that from factory G751 has a small, if I remeber correctly, 128MB UEFI partition as first, it is FAT32 formatted.
    But do not take my word on it, confirm that with partition manager of your choice.And you have to put the bios file there. Can you brake sthing if you do that? Maybe.

As I see G752 has NTFS driver in the bios, maybe with G752 NTFS formatted stick also works. But this has to be confirmed by G752 owner,as I am not him.

YOU DO FLASHING OF BIOS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR LAPTOP!
    Happy flashing [​IMG]
    Someone can make this sticky for other to easly see it."

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    DannyB513 and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  4. sulky

sulky Newbie

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  5. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a GT72 2QE and installed the windows 10 patch and there is no issue.
    I posted on MSI forum and contacted French support and they told me they are working on BIOS updates, 2QE is 4 or 5th gen (Haswell & Broadwell) and should come around March (TBC, it doesn't seem that long to integrate new microcode to BIOS, however they are relying on Intel to provide those updates).

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's more effective and you'll usually get better answers from MSI Support tickets filed on your laptop. The MSI forum support people aren't in the same group, so you'll be getting 2nd hand knowledge.

MSI Support isn't always perfect, so if you don't get a satisfactory response from your first ticket, file another one asking the same question - maybe try to word it simpler and more directly to the point, without external links, make the ticket self sufficient (all data contained within), and attach any images or documents as a zip file to the ticket.

Create a login here (different than the forum account), register your laptop - fill in all the info and attach a photo or scan of your purchase invoice / receipt, and open a ticket asking for the firmware update for the recent security issues, and for the Intel Hyperthreading patch.

MSI Member Center
    https://register.msi.com/home/login

7. tiliarou

tiliarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I confirm that support is sometimes inconsistent, and most of the time trying to say that it's none of their business, so you have to be extra diplomatic to explain the issue and provide detail as they tend to ignore issues quite fast IMHO...

I've probably missed something but what is the Hyperthreading patch you are referring to ? There was an issue with HT on Haswell mobile CPU ? Unrelated to Spectre/Meltdown ?

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Yes, the HT issue was a few months ago, and was being tracked in a thread that since has changed it's name to be on topic for Spectre / Meltdown, but check the early posts for the HT issue:

uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ucode-fix-for-spectre-ht-bug-fix-and-meltdown.806451/

Vasudev and tiliarou like this.
  9. fire3element

fire3element Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In the most recent iterations of the GS63VR, did the speakers ever get an update or more punch?

10. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's the same spec. The speaker is like 2 watts therefore it will be very similar to its predecessor.

hmscott likes this.
  11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Strange question time, are all the FPC and various connectors on the GT72s motherboard(MS-17821) and the GT72 Dominator Pro equal?

Thinking about upgrading my mobo to a 6820HK based one from a GT72S into my GT72 chassis.

Best regards.