[Official] Questions for the MSI Rep! #2

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MSIGeno, Sep 15, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What a mess Intel created with that ME fiasco...

I'd RMA it and get it updated at MSI then, or maybe HID can do it at their expense / site, or they will send it on to MSI.

Maybe there is a complication due to the ME issue. I know I had to fix my ME a while back (years) and Asus sent me a complex set of instructions to fix it, which worked, so I didn't need to RMA.

You could try asking MSI level1 support to escalate it to engineering, asking for detailed instructions on how to do it yourself, tell them you are technical and not uncomfortable with complex instructions. That's how I did it with Asus.

It could be that they need to get the physical laptop to re-write the BIOS chip via physical chip clip.

Maybe one of those options will be workable with help from Asus / HID, let us know how it works out :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    DannyB513 likes this.
  2. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From another thread on here I ordered a programmer and accessories to try and hardware flash myself. While I am awaiting everything to come in from Amazon I am going to call MSI and escalate as high as I can to see if I can get help with blind flashing. I want to exhaust every means available to me before I am possibly without this laptop for 2-3 months depending on if it has to go to MSI or not.

Grinds my gears that I paid close to 3 grand for my laptop (including the drives I already had on hand) and used it for a week and now it is useless and my only recourse may be to ship it off and be without it for months due to something that MSI will tell you you do at your own risk even though they make it a requirement in order to perform a firmware fix to a problem that Intel caused.

In a perfect world I would ship it back to HID, them give me my $2400.00 back or replace my laptop with one just like it and then they get their money back from MSI; not me the consumer be SOL.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    The problem is, you bricked it because you didn't let the flash complete before you powered off. During a flash, the screen will go blank, and you have to wait for the screen to come back and say the flash is complete before doing anything.

Therefore it is not a warranty issue.

As I told you before, you need to contact our tech support team for help, not MSI.

Papusan, hmscott and Phoenix like this.
  4. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For one, I never touched the power button on the laptop while it was doing anything. I think the file may have been corrupted.

Secondly, I contacted Zoltan today.

Thirdly, if you would listen, if there is a way to un-screw this without me having to ship my laptop back halfway around the world I am going to un-screw it and if that means talking to the manufacturer myself then I am going to talk to the manufacturer.

hmscott likes this.
  5. Donald@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    This would indicate otherwise. If you had to turn it on, it means you did power it off.

6. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You do realize that during a BIOS flash that the PC will restart itself, don't you?

This is when it went to a black screen. After it sat there for about an hour, yes, i did turn it off.

hmscott likes this.
  7. Donald@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    Of course...

You waited about an hour before turning it off?

Well, at this point MSI will make the call on whether they will cover this under warranty, but you will definitely have to send it in for them to make that determination.

Unfortunately, until that is done, there is nothing HIDevolution can do to help.

8. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes I did. This is not the first time I have flashed a BIOS on a computer. It is not even the first time I have flashed a BIOS on an MSI laptop. I have one of the original GT73's from when the GTX1080 first released in laptops.

I ordered a programmer and all the accessories needed to try to flash myself. If that doesn't work then I will ship to you guys and if it goes to MSI and i have to pay to get it fixed, so be it.

I am not upset with you guys at all and sorry if my previous posts came across that way. I am mad that MSI considers this to be a "You are on your own if you choose to flash a BIOS. We are not responsible; when they make it a requirement in order to flash a firmware fix for a security issue."

I am still thrilled with the customer service I received from you guys and the excellent job you guys did on the build items that you added and the screen is absolutely amazing with no light bleed whatsoever and the calibration made it the best laptop screen I have ever personally seen, even being a TN panel. When my next purchase rolls around I plan on buying from you guys again!!!

hmscott likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @DannyB513 are you sure you downloaded the correct Bios for the GE73VR?
    Another user recently downloaded the GT73VR bios for the GT83VR, which bricked it good. Not even sure how the bios even allowed the flash to start up with a different part number...

Please check the gt83 bricked thread that was posted yesterday. That user recovered the Bios easily with a HW programmer. As long as you buy the items I listed in that thread, then recovering is easy. Skypro programmer, jumper cables, Pomona 5250 clip, and (you wont use this here but keep it for video card flashing), 1.8v adapter.

The hardest part is locating the bios chip.

10. DannyB513

DannyB513 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Already have everything on order. Thanks for your responses in that thread!!!

I definitely downloaded the right file. It will all work out in the end, I am sure!!

Donald@HIDevolution and hmscott like this.