[Official] Questions for the MSI Rep! #2

Discussion in 'MSI' started by MSIGeno, Sep 15, 2014.

1. MiSJAH

MiSJAH Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No. The trade in schemes are only for notebooks with MXM graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sasuke256 likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @MSI Myco @MSI Natalie @MSIGeno @snallygaster

It looks like Eurocom has figured out how to offer their laptop customers Pascal MXM GPU upgrades for their previous generation laptops.

When will MSI figure this out and follow through on providing 2 generations of MXM GPU upgrades for our GT80/GT72 laptops?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Pascal upgrade in EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop

Published on Sep 22, 2016
    A quick and easy guide on upgrading a EUROCOM Sky X9 or Clevo P870DM laptop with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Pascal graphics.

This is a very easy upgrade. Once the new graphics card is installed the user simply needs to update the driver. Depending on your previous thermal solution you may need to purchase a new one.

Eurocom supplies the graphics card, thermal paste, thermal pads, heatsink if needed and drivers.

EUROCOM Sky X9 or Clevo P870DM Upgrade: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,3...

EUROCOM Sky X9 or Clevo P870DM Benchmarks: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/benchmarks(...

EUROCOM Sky X9 / Clevo P870DM Drivers: http://www.eurocom.com/ec/drivers(347)ec

The EUROCOM Sky X9 Unlocked is a high performance PC enthusiast’s dream come true. Packing a desktop CPU cooled with liquid metal paste, and supported by an unlocked system BIOS, overclocking a laptop has never been so easy.

EUROCOM Sky X9 Specifications:
    17.3-inch; FHD 1920-by-1080 or 4K UltraHD 3840-by-2160 pixels; IPS; eDP; with optional G-Sync
    Chipset: Intel Z170 Express (Skylake)
    Processor: socketed desktop LGA1151 CPU, up to Intel i7-6700K, fully unlocked
    Memory: up to 64GB; DDR4-2133, 2400 or 2666; 4 SODIMM sockets
    VGA Technology: NVIDIA GeForce: single GTX 980 (desktop) up to 200W or Dual SLI GTX 980M, SLI GTX 970M; two MXM 3.0 slots
    Display Technology: supports 4 external monitors via 2x DP 1.2, 1x HDMI 2.0 and 1x HDMI 2.0 or DP1.2 (via USB 3.1 type C port); Nvidia Surround View
    Storage: up to 5TB with 4 drives; 2x HDD/SSD (SATA3) + 2x M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4/SATA3; RAID 0/1/5/10; supports NVMe SSDs
    Communications: two 1Gb LAN RJ-45 ports Killer E2400 + M.2 WLAN/Bluetooth; Killer DoubleShot X3
    Operating Systems: Microsoft Windows: 10, 8.1 and 7
    Card Reader: 6-in-1 MMC/RSMMC/SD/miniSD/SDHC/SDXC up to UHS-II
    Keyboard: Illuminated, backlit with customizable 7-colours
    Security: TPM 2.0, Fingerprint and Kensington Lock
    Audio System: Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5; external 7.1CH audio output; headphone out, microphone in, S/PDIF and Line-in port; two built-in FORSTER Speakers (2.2W)+ Subwoofer (2.5W)
    Ports: 1x USB 3.1 type C (HDMI 2.0/DP 1.2/Thunderbolt 3); 2x miniDP 1.2; 1x HDMI 2.0; 5x USB 3.0 (1x Powered USB AC/DC); S/PDIF; Headphone; Mic; Line-in; 2x RJ45 (LAN)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    James D and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  3. MitchRapp01

MitchRapp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Let me answer this with my opinion and a couple of pictures as well. I was given THREE RMA's (I deleted my recovery partition thinking it was a swap partition for a linux distro) when I couldn't get one of THREE usb sticks I created with Burn Recovery to restore my system. I eventually got everything working except for this weird thing where when I switch between gfx cards, I click restart, it shuts down, turns on in the right mode, then shuts down a second later and then finally turns back on again in the right mode. I had no idea where to even begin on that one so I finally caved and gave in and agreed to send it to them on the other side of the country.

Throughout the two weeks leading up to me sending the notebook to them, they told me multiple times that I would need a thumb drive with a copy of Windows 10 (that I obviously already purchased with the computer) if I deleted the recovery partition and my Burn Recovery thumbs wouldn't work to restore the system. They also told me, after being asked how it was possible that Burn Recovery wasn't working to restore the system on all 3 of the drives, that I'd have to pay $25 for the thumb drive PLUS $10 for shipping, or I could always send my computer to them to be fixed and be without it for a few weeks. So the day I decided to finally give in and send it, I called them and filled them in on what I had accomplished and what I still couldn't fix, they told me they would add it to the RMA file and I asked if I could elect to send it via a faster route out of my own pocket BOTH ways and they said if I wanted to then they would mark it down so they knew to use the return label. I decided to send it 3 day both ways which costs over $100...I think it came out to like $175 both ways...can't remember the exact amount.

Regardless, I get the machine back 2 days ago, turn it on.......and as it's booting up, I spot a significant (using that word only because I don't want to sound like I'm exaggerating because it's much more than "significant" to me) dent over one of the USB ports of the left hand side of the notebook. I took pictures before I sent it to them.......MANY pictures, so I double checked to see if it was like that before I sent it out and lo and behold, it wasn't...out comes the camera again and I will be sharing the pictures on this and other forums because as much as I love MSI's product (I have been signing this things praises since the day I got it about 4 months ago and it's also why I didn't want to have to part ways with it for so long if I could fix my issues that I created myself), their utter lack of competent tech support (who is often simply searching the model of the notebook the caller is calling about and checking the FAQ and then proceeds to read the answers word for word) who doesn't even so much as offer to remotely access the computer before suggesting/issuing an RMA number (has anyone actually had their computer accessed remotely by MSI? They never even offered it and the one time I mentioned it they just acted like I didn't say it!), their total failure to reply to most of the replies in their own thread in this forum (at least from the last 3 pages I looked at) and apparently PM's, as well, is all combining to leave a very bad taste in my mouth.

I know there are probably going to be people out there who will say I've created these issues myself and to that particular point, I won't disagree...No doubt about it, I shouldn't have been reinstalling Windows after just waking up...not that it's difficult, but a seemingly little/innocuous thing like formatting the CORRECT partition is a responsibility that lays directly upon my own shoulders...If MSI doesn't want to play the friendly customer service role and offer to send me a thumb of my copy of W10 for free or at least pick up the shipping....still my fault that I formatted the wrong partition...but when I finally come around and do what they kept insisting was so necessary to make sure there wasn't anything else fundamentally wrong with the computer (a tech support rep said that to me during one of the many calls we've had with one another), get the computer without even having to pay for the shipping and then reinstalls the hidden recovery partition and ignores everything else it was SUPPOSED to say in the RMA, then proceeds to FREELY send my computer back to me without fixing a thing with the additional bonus of a DENT that wasn't there when I sent it to them....it just makes it really hard to keep letting these particulars go without venting somewhere where hopefully as many people as possible will see what a brand new customer of theirs is going through without so much as a single email or phone call apologizing or offering any assistance other than another RMA number!

This computer wasn't cheap for me as I'm sure many other people reading this will agree....It's to the point to where I'm questioning what the purpose of spending the extra money and buying a product from MSI instead of getting one around the same price from Alienware who has the resources of Dell at their disposal or any other brand that has proven customer service reputations....When you have an "official" thread where customers are asking if the company you represent even cares about them beyond the dollars and cents they coughed up for your product and you're STILL ignoring/not replying, that's kind of unfair. I mean maybe I'm just seeing this all through the lens of my particular situation and if that's the case, I'm sure someone will speak up and let me have it as so often happens online in most forums, but just keep in mind that I am being 100% genuinely honest when I say I WANT to be able to say more of the positive things I was saying and thinking before these issues began (admittedly with my own negligence but that's covered under warranty in terms of reversible issues) and I stumbled onto this particular thread/forum. And I forgot to mention....it's still starting up faulty. So they didn't even fix that. So sending my computer in got me a dent on it, a recovery partition, -$175, and a computer that isn't booting properly after I told them about it the day I sent it to them. For some reason, I have this funny feeling MSI might drop the ball on the whole buy back thing with the video cards....though that might just be my frustration and anger speaking.

* First one is Before and the other two are after

IMG_9807(Brighter).jpg IMG_9919(enhanced).jpg IMG_9919(enhanced).jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Prototime and hmscott like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    When I asked Razer for a recovery USB for my 2014 Blade I just filled out a form on their site and they sent it to me for free. Granted, these $1500+ laptops should COME with one. It literally costs the company next to nothing to include one. A USB stick the size to hold the recovery stuff is dirt cheap these days and the goodwill it represents would pay for itself easily.

I will admit it's hard to see anything based on your photos they are of completely different angles and the last 2 are identical.

MiSJAH likes this.
  5. MitchRapp01

MitchRapp01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought you'd be able to zoom....if you save the picture you'll be able to see that the edge is straight and uniform, flush with the rest of the bezel....As for your comment about the stick costing next to nothing, that was my point exactly. I also meant to include a different shot on the third one...I will have to come back and edit this when I get my notebook up and running again...check back in an hour or two if you'd like. I will also try and enhance the before shot some more...im no expert in photo editing.....but I can brighten it up a bit more so you can see the edge better. I have the shots that I took...I anticipated a chance of damage but wasn't expecting it...so I'm stuck with the before shots that I have...I have similar angle after shots but it's hard to see the dent from a lot of them...I have to go back and check. Check back again in a bit.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I believe you, I can see the dent in the last two, is just hard to relate it to the first shot as it's a completely different angle and further away.

Sent from a 128th Legion Stormtrooper 6P

hmscott likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  8. Christos Papavasileiou

Christos Papavasileiou Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there a program where I can Trade-In my GT80-2QE. I'm from Greece and I bought my notebook from Dubai May-2015. I saw that for the customers from the states a trade program exists.

hmscott likes this.
  9. zerozep

zerozep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi question for MSI REP, I downloaded the form to be able to trade up my 980m sli labtop, the form would not let me fill out any of the fields so I emailed all the info it requested through a normal email, I have yet to hear anything back and I want to make it known that I have done this before sept 30, is there something else I need to do?

10. woolfman72

woolfman72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Since you are unlikely to get a response from msi in this thread . Not sure if they will accept the email if you do not fill out the form. The form is a pdf. if you download adobe reader you can fill out the form. Most likely when you are opening the form it is opening in the edge browser and it will not be able to be filled when that is the case.