*Official* nVidia GTX 20xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Alias, Jan 26, 2019.

1. keefypants

keefypants Newbie

Reputations:
    Performance and heat/cooling wise, in a slim factor laptop (msi stealth, asus zephyrus), would it be better to go with a full mobile 2070, or a 2080-maxq? From what I could tell, tensor cores for the maxq are heavily neutered, but not sure about the full mobile 2070. Been trying to find a laptop with both g-sync and hdr with either above gpus, but havent had luck yet.

2. hissy

hissy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2080 max-q has lower TDP, and so will run cooler than 2070, but slower too. And probably even slower than that if it overheats. I would say, avoid max-q if you can. Totally not worth it's money.
    (also i'd say avoid thin'n'light garbage alltogether... but, it has it's niche i guess)

3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Slim machines will run hot, so not many bother using "full" notebook GPUs. I am happy with my current 2080MQ, but I flashed it to 90w and it runs a tiny bit slower than the 2070 without OC.

In my case, due to optimus, I don't have g-sync, and I believe very few laptops sport HDR displays to begin with, you will have more luck with external displays for the time being.

anyways, aside from the "full" 2080, the 2060 90W (if it exists), the 2070MQ 90w, 2080MQ 90w and "full" 2070 are all relatively close together in performance.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Hands-On New Alienware m15 And m17 Gaming Laptops with 20xx series graphics... Alienware's engineers have once again copycat Apple's solutions. If BGA wasn't enough for both Cpu and graphics... New major changes has become to reality... "Soldered ram and with only two ram config options". Either opt for the low entry 8GB package or the maxed out 16GB ram setup. There is obviously no need for more in tomorrows gaming books. Welcome to the past.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...the-new-powerful-laptop.828938/#post-10916322

jclausius, hackness, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    ARE. YOU. KIDDING. MEEEEEEEEEE.

soldered RAM! SERIOUSLY? on a friggin ALIENWARE! :eek: W. T. F.

this is too much for me, can't take this anymore.... :oops: i know i know, it's alienware, but still! that they would go THAT low is just insane....

6. hissy

hissy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh wow.
    Somewhere deep inside the Alienware dwelled a monster, and at last, it steps out of the shadows. They call it Dell.

jaybee83 likes this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It seems you hva forgot it's called Dell Alienware nowadays:D And that the Ceo for Alienware brand is also the same for Dell's XPS line:)
    upload_2019-5-29_2-36-30.png
    [​IMG]

RAM Options
    I haven't read enough to understand the differences b/w the RAM offered on the new m15 vs the new XPS 15... but what's the reason the m15 is limited to 16GB and the new XPS 15 gets 64GB???

Yeah, Dell's own main brand get more love!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Ashtrix, Vasudev and Joikansai like this.
  8. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On another presentation video, they state there is still one slot available for upgrades.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    jaybee83 likes this.
  9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    riiiight....guess what im thinking now? plugging in a stick into that free slot automatically changes the whole config to single channel :p :D

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    No surprises here Bro Paps. I'm more surprised they didn't solder in the ssds too.
    At this point, with soldered GPU/GPU these machines are already disposable anyway. They might as well just give the fans more of what they want.