*Official* nVidia GTX 20xx Series notebook discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Alias, Jan 26, 2019.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At stock,Turing has a max boost of 2100MHz (Pascal was 1911MHz), which you can see at the top right of Unigine or when looking at where the V/F curve flattens out in Afterburner.

Let’s not wax poetic about the 980M. It was a severely cut down mobile part, with a far lower TDP than the desktop 970 and 980, lower boost clocks, less SMs than the 970, and much slower 5GHz GDDR5 compared to the 7GHz (overclockable to 8GHz) on desktop. Stock 980M did even reach 70% of 980 performance, which is worse than Max-Q. Sure, flashing a modded vBIOS increased the TDP and voltage limits, but then you ran into the woefully underbuilt 3-phase Vcore VRM on the 980M MXM board, which could barely handle 120A before black screening and shutting off (less if not cooled properly, the FETs were 90% efficient at 75A). So many MXM 980Ms burned out their MOSFETs even just running stock.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And so did 1070s that copied the reference board used in 980Ms *cough*gecube&eurocom*cough*

Arrrrbol and yrekabakery like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    For context you need to understand how old the 980M was by the time you bought it 3 years ago. You benefited from being late to outdated tech that was way more expensive when it actually launched. I paid over $2k for a stock GTX 980M equipped machine, when they launched in 2014.

lsflp and Rengsey R. H. Jr. like this.
  4. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm noticing that MANY reviews and users seem to be getting lower performance than expected from some RTX laptop GPUs, especially the 2080 Max-Q. I personally saw lower performance on both the Blade Advanced and GS65.
    I've used DDU in safe mode, the latest drivers, etc but still saw lower performance.
    If you're experiencing lower performance, I HIGHLY recommend you use the Nvidia Driver Slimmer Utility.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-driver-slimming-utility.423072/

Here are the steps I take:
    1. Download and unzip the Driver Slimmer Utility
    2. Download the latest Nvidia driver (make sure you choose Standard or DCH depending on your setup)
    3. Go into Airplane mode
    4. Run DDU and uninstall the driver, reboot but stay in airplane mode
    5. On restart, start the Driver Slimmer utility and load the driver into the utility.
    6. Choose everything in "Core Functionality", NGX Core, and the USB-C Driver. You should only have 7 things checked.
    7. Click the "Install" button and go through the install process. I checkmark "Clean Install" when prompted. Reboot when the install is done
    8. Turn off Airplane mode
    9. Reinstall Nvidia Control Panel in MS Store.
      1. I like to change Texture Filtering to High Quality in the NCP. I lose some FPS with this change but it's fairly small overall.

Here's 2 examples of my performance compared to NBC.
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Max-Q-Graphics-Card.386276.0.html

Division 2
    NBC - 77FPS
    Me - 83FPS

Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    NBC - 78FPS
    Me - 90FPS

My scores come from a GS65, 80w variant, stock clocks.

Hope this helps!
    -JRey

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Holy Grail of gaming laptops reviewed!
    PCWorld
    Published on Mar 22, 2019
    Gordon reviews Alienware's Area 51m, which packs a full desktop Core i9-9900k and RTX 2080 inside, and walks us through the benchmarks. He also gives us the inside scoop on Dell/Alienware's plan for it's replaceable graphics module.

RTX Performance suffers Max-Q vs Full laptop / desktop:
    port royal max-q vs laptop vs desktop.jpg

Joikansai likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Nice laptop, has problems currently - check out this video with warnings / news:

$5000 Alienware Area 51M's Are Burning Out and Dying... Why I'm Not Worried!
    GizmoSlipTech
    Published on Apr 1, 2019
    So this has been a big topic of discussion over on NotebookReview forums, and it'll be interesting to see if Dell drops an official response to this or not. I am really curious to know how many notebooks have been affected by this. I am also curious as to what exactly is causing the issues.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-668#post-10890314

Papusan likes this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Alienware m15 RTX Review, Bad Cooler Design Chokes Performance
    Hardware Unboxed
    Published on Apr 1, 2019

Papusan likes this.
  8. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Useless sensationalist video by typical clickbait content creator. While I am not a fan of Dell or Alienware (their stuff is overpriced for everything they sell and I do not like questionable design of some of their models) - I do not believe that Alienware model deserves such "OMG $5000 notebooks are burning!!!!111oneoneoneeleven... not that I am worried about that BUT YOU NEED TO WATCH MY VIDEO ABOUT IT ANYWAY!!!!1111" video unless there is more statistically relevant data gathered from more owners. Not to mention the person in video is using a screenshots from a forum member who politely asked everyone not to use those anywhere else, which is not a nice thing to do regardless of legal point of view.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2019
    VoodooChild, jaybee83 and seanwee like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    The info and warnings in that video are valid, I've seen the failures of Area 51m laptops posted in the Area-51m thread here on NBR, and I am happy he followed up and did the research to get some context and further info gathered and shared.

His research also answers why there have been delay's in shipping and why it might be a good idea to hold off until Dell fixes the problem in production before being in a rush to book an order for an Area-51m.

You need to get over the "sensationalist" youtube video shock - this one is really not that bad, certainly not the worst I've seen - and listen for the useful info not posted elsewhere, which is why I posted the video in the first place. These guys trying to monetize their efforts so they can keep doing it is just part of the medium these days.

Your complaints here, and in the Area-51m thread, are distracting people from getting the info they need, and perhaps putting some off enough not to listen to the video at all, causing them to order an Area-51m without critical info about the current rash of failures, new rev of the motherboard, and delays in delivery.

You aren't helping anyone. :)

@GizmoSlip replied to you in the Area51m thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...m-owners-lounge.826831/page-674#post-10890759

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    raz8020 and TBoneSan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    raz8020 and TBoneSan like this.